AIG Employee Reviews for Assistant Underwriter

My time at AIG has been great however, the management in my department is lacking. There is favoritism and major communication issues between management and employees. The pay is low compared to the job duties.We are taking on more work for the same amount of pay. No room for growth within the department. Essentially the work is easy and the environment is friendly between other co-workers. Benefits of the company are fantastic and that is what makes it a hard job to leave.
Pros
Great benefits and PTO
Cons
Poor Management
This was by far the WORST place I ever worked. The management in my department was awful. Just a few months after I left the company cut about two-thirds of the people. I worked at a branch office and the culture there was not white collar at all, they treated people like they were on a manufacturing line. They only cared about production and not the person at all.
Pros
The location was very pretty
Cons
Walking in the door every morning
time management is one important key in order to be successful and you have to be open to new ideas and be always prepared in all circumstances that may arise.
The benefits at AIG are great. The prices and benefit plans are ideal for families. They offer ideal programs for volunteering for employees to give back to the community.
Great Company to work. Eager to help employees grow within the company. Benefits, Compensation and Tuition reimbursement wonderful. Highly recommend this company.
it was great working at aig and the employees were all treated very well. there were barely ever any complaints while working there. the work was really easy to understand and perform. everyone was so nice and very welcoming.
Pros
parties
Cons
short breaks
Very busy and demanding, people as friendly and willing to help when needed. Very positive coworkers, not so positive management as they were pushed and much demand were requested of them.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
n/a
I enjoyed my employment with AIG. I did data entry which meant that all I did was enter information into the computer all day long. No phone calls to make or receive, at least until I was moved next to the IT person whose phone rang constantly. I answered his calls daily. I knew people well before I ever met them in person.
Pros
We had the option to work overtime if we wanted it.
Cons
They moved out of Illinois and I couldn't afford to go with them.
The staff was great The work life balance was great due to the high amount vacations days provided Great downtown location but i lived almost 2 hours away The management was very old school and changes were very slow
In my 5 years working for AIG, this company has a high rate of turn over in the position I am due to poor leadership, lack of direction, lack of advancement.
Pros
vacation days, ability to work some time from home
Cons
lots of OT in the summer months, lack of leadership, direction and advancement
Unfortunately there were massive layoffs. Reviews were no longer done on an individual basis. Each title was reviewed across the National instead of the department. Only a certain number of positions could be graded, so you were rated against others versus what you did for the department.
Pros
Salary competitive; worked 7 hours
Cons
Reviews were no longer for the work you provided; it was ranked on a National basis, and only a few could be in a specific catergory.
Learned a lot skills and how to grow meeting deadlines taking positive6 care with your product wjen mailing to a Client accurate neat and met deadlines to tje agent
Pros
Lunches were brought
Cons
Short breaks
when working as an Underwriter, really enjoyed and thrived with this work. Day filled with interesting work. Learned a lot about the Insurance Industry. Hardest part was learning 8 computer software programs. Working with some great people.
Pros
Excellent pay rate
Cons
long commute
I enjoyed the camaraderie of my worker friends and liked the Company's incentive in giving awards and certificates for their "Employee of The Month" which I luckily was one of them.
AIG was great I learn a lot meet some great people. The hardest part is when the system is down. The most enjoyable part is the people I meet at AIG.
Pros
Christmas Party, Free teas & coffee
Cons
The new accuranse rules
I was the assistant to one of the CEO's. He actually had 2 and we split the work load. Under him I learned how to work hard (not that I didn't know how to prior to him) and balance life and family. The culture was so diverse. The work itself was easily mastered making room for new challenges.
this is an okay company. the benefits are outstanding, but the pay is not very good. turn around here is very high. a very laid back company to work for.
Pros
benefits are the best i've ever had
Cons
pay
I was a temporary employee, hoping to get pulled in full time, but that did not happen. It was a pleasure working in their Farmington office and with a group of nice people.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No permanent position
Busy, Busy day Learned a lot of different systems Management were not fare with employees Nice clean place to work No job was hard just making budget due to competition The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the job done and keeping our customer happy
Cons
It was a great experience to work at AIG. The team is very professional, friendly and helpful. There are great opportunities for growth within the company.
Working closely with Underwriter, rate accounts, process filings, process mvrs. Consult with Underwriters in order to process Conditional Renewal or Non-Renewal Letters, issue policies. Management was always provided training and was always there as a resource to assist in getting the job done. Co-workers were great in training and assisting, whenever necessary, this was a very friendly environment. The job was challenging at first because this was my first Underwriting Assistant position; however management and co-workers were quite helpful and helped with the transition.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Company went out of business
  1. Assistant Underwriter