AIG Employee Reviews for Underwriter

I enjoyed very much working at AIG. I liked the culture and, specially, the people; it really feels like family. I miss working at AIG. But the salary is very low and there is no compensation every year. I left because I was with the same salary for six years. No way you could live in PR without any salary increase for that amount of years.
Supervisors and management did not provide any positive encouragement. We were understaffed and worked very hard but not appreciated. There was not any advanced training and I did not feel very hopeful about moving up in this company. They work environment felt very restrictive and morale was low. I honestly would become very depressed on as Sunday night thinking about going back into the office on Monday morning. All in all just not worth it being so miserable at work.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Horrible treatment
good Pros - Good learning opportunities - Good advancement opportunities - Flexible work arrangements and family friendly - Excellent benefits and fair compensation
Lots of turnover and frequent layoffs. No cost of living adjustments and very political organization. Production is not rewarded and employees are not valued
No progression no money no support, very stressful and very poor management. Nobody is happy. People are leaving one after another. Micro management in some teams.
AIG provide a good initial starting point for gaining experience within the insurance industry. Overall the company was slow to change and adapt so it can be used as a good starting point for next steps within the market.
I am thoroughly happy with my assignments here. I look forward to my job and enjoy the people I work with. I am always treated with courtesy and complimented for my work product. I would work here all year long if possible but hours are limited.
Handle VIP accounts. Learned all aspects of insurance. Management is constantly changing. Not a good workplace culture, the hardest part was the volume of work.
I had to learn quickly at this new position, since there is no training to they teach you to figure it out yourself quickly and survive. This job had taught me a lot.
AIG was a great company to work for. It had constant progress in knowledge/growth/teamwork. You felt like you are part of the family. There were constant meetings and proposals for making company better.
Pros
There were appreciation lunches/events/flexible schedule
Cons
Being under stress due to company downsizing//didn't know when its your last day.
Will not recommend A failing company desperate for revenue, in turn they take terrible risks. Unenjoyable work week. Micromanaged Hated going to work every day
Pros
Experience
Cons
Predatory management, poor career path
Good place to work, learned a lot about worker's compensation. The manager was in New Jersey but had a pretty good idea about our work loads. Was very relaxed and casual office
Good employer. Growth opportunities are provided. Happy with the benefits. Left for personal reasons, but feel that I was able to acquire enough knowledge to maintain my career afterwards.
Very good company to learn the industry from. Fast paced, complex risks. Broad Appetite . Paid well. Advancement. Team oriented, truly a good company minus the outside noise.
Pros
Cons
Constant changes
You can be fired without notice. Fellow workers were helpful when you asked for assistance, other than that, every one was just worrying about themselves.
The expectations were to work as many hours as you had to work to handle the job. Technology is big here as is automation and there is little to no support of the Underwriters. Long days, weekend work was needed; no incentives for extra work.
Pros
Work At Home
Cons
Long Days; Poor Management
I have not worked for this organization for over 12 years. At the time of my employment AIG Canada was a fun place to work while being extremely productive. I am not familiar with the current structure or management and as such cannot comment on such.
Great brand, smart people but difficult to advance if you don't have a manager willing to be a true sponsor/mentor. Management training is limited to underrepresented minorities or women of certain job grades. If you aren't in either group, it's pretty much self driven.
My typical day at work consist me getting breakfast before I went to my cubical. My work would be sent through emails for me to complete. I'll eat my breakfast while surfing the internet for 20 minutes then start my work load. I loved it!
The executives are running this company into the ground. The employee morale is horrible because everyone is overwhelmed with the plethora of work after all of the layoffs and not hiring replacements when people quit.
Fast paced environment working at accelerated pace Enjoy camraderie of remote Underwriters on other teams Work, files are challenging which generates a feeling of being productive