Avison Young

Avison Young Employee Reviews

A solid real estate/facility services company that services North America and Canada.

Extremely fast-paced environment. Very little room for error. Customer was very engaging and friendly. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.

Pros

work location close to home

Cons

limited vacation time, on call 24/7 without a break

Team Players, unusual management styles, indifferent training, but stable job.

The office has/had some very good team players, which kept the team going. There was a some unusual management styles with Team Leaders, which in my opinion hindered the productivity. Senior Management were under a lot of pressure due the rapid expansion and growth.As a team, the "staff" worked well together to cover over some cracks. The training given was very much learn as you go and not very structured.Working patterns should have been as detailed in the interviews, but weekend work crept more regularly, this was a big negative as many joined with this not being mentioned. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay motivated whilst being micromanaged to the brink of leaving.New systems being introduced, which weren't really designed or taken into consideration for the function of the helpdesk and more for a call centre. The team members were generally great to get along with, working hard for each other. The department/team was at the stage of growing rapidly and glad to see success for them all.

Very low pay, no work-life balance

The people who work for the company are the only good thing about it.You can expect to do the job of 2-3 people at all times while making no more than minimum wage. Absolutely no flexibility (despite "flexible work options") and work-life balance does not exist. Management is very backwards and archaic in their ways.

Pros

Teams are great to work with.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, no flexibility, no room for creativity.

Meh.

Don’t work here. Higher ups only care about themselves. The company was fine until it expanded, then selfless service went out the window. There was no room for promotion.

Don’t do it- go work anywhere else!

Go to a more developed firm with understanding, positive, and innovative people. Brokerage team is great and highly regarded, this review does not reflect the brokerage team. The PM department does not have the necessary leaders to be successful. “Leaders” will lie about you to make themselves look better. If you like gossip, passive aggressive behavior, and no recognition for hard work be sure to work for this joke of a company. There is no official training, practices or policies in place. You are expected to do everything by flying by the seat of your pants. In my office my boss gossiped about our coworkers, our clients (who pay our salary?!) and our superiors even in the corporate office.

Productive, room to grow and have a career here, fun loving environment

I loved working at Avison young, unfortunately covid hit and my job no longer existed due to going from paper files to online filing/files. If I was presented with the opportunity to work here again I would take this up, I can not fault this company.

People

Workers there are nice. They try to take care of you and help you when you are lost. System is managed very well with everything so there is always a room to grow.

Es una Compañía buena flexible se trabaja bien ojalá pudiera empezar de nuevo en esa compañía

Son flexibles respetuosos te ayudan con el idioma buen seguro médico en realidad una empresa de éxito

Pros

Seguro médico privado

Cons

Te respetan tu descanso

Property Manager

The company was going downhill from the initial acquisition of my former company. Rules were different for each of the regional offices & management support was greatly lacking.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

If you weren't in, you were NOT in & weren't going to get ahead

Local/Corporate Disconnect

I struggled to reconcile the lofty corporate rhetoric with the local office reality. AY acquired the Phoenix office 5 years ago. It does not feel well integrated into the company. There is no mentorship, little guidance, no compensation considerations. Unless you are a broker or in the marketing department, you are just a warm body at a desk. The brokers work independently, often not showing up for weeks in the office. Some of the best ones avoid the office. Initiative is not recognized or supported. It's a Stay in Your Lane culture that imagines it is collaborative. It is not. Every other brokerage pays better and offers more opportunities.

Pros

Nice, new office

Cons

No growth opportunities, no comeraderie, poor compensation, disconnect between corporate rhetoric and local actions, seems to be shrinking as folks leave and no one joins

Shaking up the industry!

Lots of great changes happening as the company grows and moving into a more centralized organizational structure. More focus on D&I, and bringing in a more modern culture and hip techy vibe. Love the new pivot to technology, becoming best in class leader! Great time to join!

Pros

Culture, lack of micromanagement, fast growth

Cons

Growing pains as expected

Good Place to Start

Good place to start your real estate career as an analyst. Able to gain experience in all types of commercial assets. Ability to grow into a Senior Analyst or Sales Agent.

Excellent workplace and people

A lovely company that thoroughly values its employees and offers not only pay rises, bonuses, and additional training when requested, but actively encourages its employees to go further and achieve more.

Pros

Lovely management and staff

Laid back workplace

The management and agents are easy to work with but the administration duties lack in consistency and can make for very slow days. Willing to pay well for experience.

Can be nice but look elsewhere

This place was a great place to work in the beginning when I worked there but it was also a nightmare at the same time. Everything was brushed under the rug when it came to HR even borderline illegal matters. The Principal of Marketing is a vile person who offers no help. She has a job for no reason when she knows zilch about how to do her job. The upper management do not care about their employees but only like to benefit themselves

Pros

Pto

Cons

employees

Challenging and Fun

I started my career in real estate in Avison Young and founf the experience to be fulfilling and exciting. The top to bottom leadership in the company is outstanding and I found there were plenty of mentors for me.

Enjoyed the job but....

HR were not very good at all. My manager wasn’t very supportive and tended to brush things under the carpet instead of dealing with things which lead to things getting out of hand.

Excellent place to work!

An internationally successful company, Avison Young brings power in its overall direction from a worldly brand perspective, but have the benefit of a Maritime office to rely on your local connections, drive and personality for your success. Leadership is set by strong example; wonderful people-centric feel with very entrepreneurial minded spirit.

Not a good company

Worst real estate company to work with No good Hr policies Brokers treat staff as they own them senior management doesn't give a dime about staff No clear communication employees are bullied at times no one can raise their voice because of competition either you succumb to evil way of working or get fired Work culture is extremely bad regressive and old style of working Extremely profit oriented company

Pros

Very few good brokers

Cons

Worst real estate company to work with, No good Hr policies, Brokers treat staff as they own them, Senior management doesn't give a dime about staff, No clear communication, Employees are bullied at times, CSC and admins cannot raise their voice because of competition and politics, Either you succumb to evil way of working or get fired

You learn a lot

A lot to learn, but you are left to figure it out on your own. There is definitely a "good boys" atmosphere going on. After work events are ok. I have been to ones that are more fun. The events at Avison feels like yo are being judged and watched the whole time.

Good

Proud to be apart of the FM team running several portfolios across the U.K. providing all aspects of FM. Good personable company to work for highly commended for training & legislation updates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avison Young. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Avison Young