Bank of the West

Bank of the West Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,446 reviews

This bank was comparable to other jobs I had.

I felt that this bank relied heavily on referrals and sales from their employees. They had us stay after hours to do cold calling to help meet our sales goals. Customers were great. People were great but the forced sales were to much.

Pros

Normal pros, great people to work with. Paid training. Benefits.

Cons

Pressured sales with repercussions if you didn't make them.

Bank of the west is a good job with good benefits, I was able to advance quickly.

Taking back to back inbound calls, being able to quickly access policies and procedures to resolve calls quickly. Provide account information quickly.

Pros

Day shifts often had lunch vendors on site.

Cons

Adherence counts against you if you are unable to end the call at scheduled break time.

Negative environment. Product pushing, no sense from the President of the bank, systems are the worst.

Harrasment. Conference calls about sales. Management works from home and gets back after a few days. No care about customers or employees. Upper management putting employees under the bus to save themselves

Pros

All negative

Cons

Two or three people running the branch and still being accountable for sales

Not a great environment!

I will not recommend this workplace for anyone. They messed up my VISA situation and put me out of status. Management does not care about you. Pay is not as mer the market standards.

Bank as a whole is progressive while some "management" is definitely NOT!

If you can work the system and are good at lying and constantly covering yourself, you will do GREAT! If you are honest and open and not afraid to admit you made a mistake, they will make an example out of you. I really thought I wanted to make a career at this bank based on everything I was told during the hiring process etc. Being in branch and the games the "management/supervisors" play in order for themselves to look good at the expense of their employees was maddening!

Benefits

Cons

Abuse of your willingness to help/work extra hours when they need you, hung out to dry when you don't serve a purpose any longer. Yes, I am upset because of the heart and time I put into my career there to be sacraficed, but everything I said is 100% accurate.

Had a fantastic manager and team

If you have a great boss and team, you will enjoy this place. Pay is ok and upper management only cares about sales. Area I was in was amazing and customers were great.

Great company

Great company .. good management.. need some clarity of direction.. recently sold to bmo .. company has good benefits .. products are competitive but not very well known inthe community.. not a first choice lender in personal banking

Pros

Work culture is good .. people are caring ..

Cons

Systems are not great .. BNP had stopped putting money .. salary is not great

People are still a means to a bonus

BOTW has a huge focus on having its customers be a deeply rooted with them, but still operates as an 80 year old bank. With so many other (better) options out there, its a hard sell.

Pros

slow market

Cons

everything is a metric

Lack of upper management support

Overall, the company has changed quite a bit in the past few years with an emphasis on cross selling. It is disguised as relationship building, but with the constant pressure for productivity, it devalues the actual relationship.

Great, people-centered company that cares about employees and sustainability

There is transparency, freedom of thought, creativity, innovation, and acceptance. BOTW is a place to grow and stay. You feel like you have a purpose not just a job.

Pros

Work-life balance, great co-worker, and fun. Managers are not perfect, but in my experience they hold themselves accountable and learn from mistakes.

Cons

Could improve PTO

Systems need improvement, high stress and thankless job

While better pay, systems were old and it took longer to do any transactions. High stress, mostly unhappy clients. Understaffed most of the time as well.

Leadership is aloof, poor direction

Horrible leadership from ceo down to group mgrs. Clueless and great performers get passed over for good Ole boys and women. Comp keeps on getting changed, even mid year. No direction.

Pros

Good during covid

Cons

Poor leadership

Stressful

Stressful job with little to no training. Easy to advance. But will advance you before you’re ready and then watch you drown when you can’t do your job properly. Poor leadership. Managers just sit back and demand results. Wouldn’t work in sales again. Enjoyed the operational parts

Biggest Train Wreck Of A Company I have Ever Seen

Easily the worst experience I have ever had in 35 years in the workforce. BOTW has so many problems it's stunning. As a front line agent I was forced to tell their unfortunate customers the most absurd things I could have imagined. The back office does everything they can to reject every work order submitted to them. Trust me, you will be screamed at with every call by rightfully infuriated customers. There is a good job market atm, steer clear of this nightmare. It will make your life miserable.

Pros

Absolutey none.

Cons

Everything about them.

No fun. Toxic people abound.

Avoid if possible. Goals are a moving target and toxic people abundant. HR encouages poor behavior and lack of team work apparent. i hated working here the entire time. Very bad experience.

Pros

Flexible with hours

Good bank to start as a teller

The training is computerized and they shadow you in during that phase but i thought it was easy as a job. Its lots of talking with customers and following regulations and corporate rules too.

Horrible Bank

They don't care about you . Low pay. Will not train properly and then fire you for making an error due to said lack of training . Horrible management.

Ehh - it’s ok

Changed to a high corporate bank and went weird - total management change and I’m sure it is better now but at first it was hard to know who was who and what was what

Good job bad management

Good for resume not a solid career look elsewhere if you have bills to pay this is a job for a young person who has just graduated school and still lives at him one with parents

Pros

Office like experience

Cons

Low pay, overworked underpaid

Great Place to work but sometimes poorly managed

I loved working at Bank of the West. I worked remote, could work my own hours and my supervisors were dependable. I have noticed that the bank does lack in communication. I was sometimes asked how to do things by people whose job it was to know how to do it and sometimes it was clear they were not given proper training or guidance on how and job scope.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Poor communication

My view of my work location.

You will find a clean work environment. People who will help make your working there easy. They have recognition meeting and welcome all new employees. The management team are supportive. There are different opportunities in being a collector within the office and room to advance or move to different departments. However, with any colllections work it can be stressful. High turn over.

Pros

401k match, off all holidays, & weekends

Cons

Collections can be stressful. High turn over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of the West. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Bank of the West
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?