Bank of the West

Bank of the West Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,472 reviews

Hostile environment

I was excited when I got the job, but my boss was so mean and unfriendly, an unsupportive. My boss and the manager did not help me to thrive, and they often criticized me for being slow or working slow.

Good company

Diversity culture. Information system needs improvement. Internal promotions are A+. Really good benefits. Back office is located in another state with different hours of operation.

Needs new management

Employees are not paid well but are expected to do their best. Management cares only about their pay and friends and family that works under them. No respect

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Good place to work if it wasn’t for the IT/equipment issues

Constantly have network/IT issues or the equipment wouldn’t work in which point I had to wait for a week and a half to get new equipment mailed when I easily could have picked up the equipment and been working the next day.

Bank of the West is great but the BMO merger changes everything

I have been at BOW almost a year and everything seems great except the slow slow pace of things. Then late last year it was announced bow was purchased by another company now the whole company feels unstable ,

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

No job security

was an okay bank, but slowly downhill over 5.5 years

the systems don't work. staff knows that the systems fail over and over, but we just deal with it and the bank doesn't fix anything. they create workarounds instead of fixes. tech hangs me out to dry in front of customers...embarrassing!

Pros

n/a

Cons

woke culture, awful technology

Not flexible with college students

BOTW says the care about college and offer you a scholarship which only covers for finance students and doesn’t want to work with your hours either. I was forced to resign as they kept scheduling me when i had classes.

Great Place to work

I have worked at the bank almost 7 years. I have advances very well in the company. I set goals and have accomplished them all. Home and work life is never a problem as managers a d co workers make it possible to take time away.

Pros

Ful remote work from home

Stressful

Customers complaining about documents not being sent from back office and we get low scores when there’s is nothing we can do. We were told to show empathy, and that made customers more angry

Good place to work but salary is very less

Work-Life Balance, No Micro Management, Great Culture, Less Salary when compared to peers from other companies. Management is very understanding and supportive

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bank of the West?

Things could be better, overall a Bank job

Management seemed to solely be concerned with numbers and not much about your well being. The pay was decent for the work you do, however they do expect more from you on your daily goals than is achievable. Applying for time off when you need it will be extremely hard as well. I would not recommend if you have young children.

Pros

Free snacks, co-workers

Cons

Short breaks, management

RUN from this company, It is truly THAT BAD!

A place you want to stay away from if you can help it. I can't speak for the mortgage division, but if you are looking at something in the PFD department, it's best to look elsewhere, unless you enjoy being micromanaged, have no clear training, being bounced around to other departments because they can't keep staff either, thrive in an environment of favoritism, and the best part... the open hostility to anyone over 40!The company is in the process of being sold, so by the end of the year it could be better, but that throws current job stability out the window. Perhaps other locations ARE good, but the "back office" in Omaha isn't one of them.

Great management help towards improving your career

Manager was understanding and tried to accommodate us as much as possible. Pay is sub par with other industries. Good work/life balance and great place for beginners.

Pros

Remote work was flexible

Not for the weak minded

Lots to do and we were always understaffed which led to customers having long waits on the phone. Supervisors were nice but the policies in place didn't really help us.

Pros

Good for getting experience Management was overall helpful

Cons

Policies and software seem outdated for the job at hand.

Lack of transparency from upper management

Lack job security as many jobs in San Francisco have been relocated to other states. I do enjoy working with the people in my department.Lack of transparency from upper management

Corporate overstepping

I enjoyed everyone I worked with in my branch, but the corporate level managers always overstepped boundaries and were always avoiding fulfilling duties. They never knew what was happening in the branches and always made decisions without getting branch employee input beforehand.

Pros

Branch employees

Cons

Wages, corporate overstepping, corporate disconnect

The place you can advance fast, but unhappy and not appreciated

This Bank environment is toxic and sadly miserable. Poor management , very old technology and so slow software. Every day is super challenging and you never anticipate things you need to handle. The Branch Managers are carrier oriented and does not care of their team members. The Regional Managers are politics, not humans. However, this is a right place to make a career for good looking resume. They hire uneducated people, who eventually become Managers and Bankers...

If you like seeing the same customers and have the same day it’s good

It was a nice job for me. The pay was 15/hour at the time and it didn’t cover most bills for me Atleast. Manager was fun and my supervisor was super nice.

Horrible place to work at.

The management is poorly ran. It was the worst job I’d ever worked at. I hated going to work there. I don’t know how this kind of workplace is possible to exist.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Stressful people to work with.

Mediocre workplace with passive aggressive and incompetent managers

A useless dead end job with a dead end company going nowhere with no chance for advancement or real growth; they employ a two tier employment system with unfair compensation even though an hourly employee is expected to do the same work as a salaried employee. Management is passive aggressive and or extremely incompetent. Don't expect any raises or real recognition for you work. Systems are bad which creates more work than should be created but management doesn't seem to care but will still harass you on deadlines

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

Pretty much everything else

Great place to work. But HR is not helpful.

Great place to work. But HR is not helpful. If you need green card or H1B, you may want to consider....HR may not approve your H1B application or Green card process.

Pros

culture is good.

Cons

HR is really bad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of the West. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Bank of the West
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?