Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.

Chemist9 reviews

Clear
3.6Salary & Benefits

Good Steady Place to Work

Facility is a branch from parent company, good group of people both parent company and remote site. Unfortunately not a lot of room to advance on the remote sites. Parent company seems willing to train and keep employees. Benefits are stable and good.

A "family" company that expects undying dedication while overworking and under compensating its employees

I learned at Bio-Rad, mostly practical skills on the job, and the most enjoyable part of the job is some of the people. Some people are very down to earth, and kind on a personal level. I also learned about how little regard some companies have for the livelihood of their employees. For a company that claims to be like "a family", this company takes the most energy it can from its "family", while making great efforts to give the least compensation. At my site, quarterly goals have been met every quarter for 3 years, but the promise of reward is always retracted either due to low global profitability of the company, or because other sites did not meet their "metrics". The culture of running so lean that you're understaffed all the while expecting employees to be content with being given extra responsibilities (outside the job description) and no extra time to do them is rampant. Communicating with your boss to let them know you're short staffed has been met with ridicule and disbelief despite proof of a ~150% increase in labor hours for everyone in the team. Some managers won't hide the fact that they don't have your best interest at hand. Some managers (with over 30 years of seniority) are less less concerned with advocating for their employees and more about looking good, or problem-free to their bosses. On the job training is often rushed, and in the first week, the amount of training documents to read within a few days cannot be completed before you are expected to apply these concepts, even if some of that reading is brought home after work. Meeting or exceeding objectives -

Pros

Free coffee.

Cons

Encouraged to skip breaks, very poor raises/bonuses, salaried employees are watched like hourly employees, low finanical compensation, unsupportive management, understaffs departments

Working here furthered my career

I worked at Bio-Rad for six months and enjoyed it. I had a good manager and all the full-time employees were helpful in bringing me up to speed. Even though I was a lowly technician, I was given the opportunity to take on more responsibility when I asked for it. I got to talk in front of big groups of marketing and R & D people- pretty good for my first job out of school! Working here will improve your resume, especially if you're fairly new to your field. It was pretty easy to get a job after I was done at Bio-Rad. Hardest part of the job: tight deadlines + lack of reagent traceability in R & D made it difficult and stressful to get work done. Most enjoyable: treated well despite being a temp, given recognition for good work.

Pros

Good work environment, good manager, gain experience at a respected biotech company

Cons

Didn't renew my contract even though I was praised for good work, technology is not cutting edge