Department of Veterans Affairs
Updated: March 26 2020

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in Albuquerque, NM

Albuquerque, NM29 reviews
Has pros and cons
Great benefits. Raises every year. Bonuses every year. The NMVA is not quite at par as other VA Systems. This VA genuinely wants to care for the Vets. Too much politics from management all the way to executive leadership. Union and HR does not care about doing the right thing and protects bad worker. Be prepared to work with lazy and entitled people.
Not the best place to work
The VA system has horrible civilian leaders who don't do well interacting with military retirees or veterans. There is no sense of comrodary at the VA hospital.
Its a very corrupted place of employment. It's not what you know it's who you know. It's a place that I would not recommend for anyone. There are alot of internal affairs investigations going on in that place.
Great place for Veterans to work!
Great place for veteran to work! As a veteran I can clearly communicate with the customers I interact with on a daily basis. My experience provides me the opportunity to give the best to the veterans I assist.
Abusive place to work
While the benefits offered are nice, they do not compensate for an abusive work environment. The management was the absolute worst. They consistently change worker's schedules without discussion, there is a lot of favoritism, incompetent managers are moved to different practice areas instead of dealing with problematic issues. (akin to Priests being moved to different parishes), There is retaliation for questioning anything. I was hired with the understanding I would work M-F 8-4:30. NO nights, no weekends, no holidays, no call time. 2 days there after I was told I was expected to work 5 10 hour days in a row and every other weekend. In 7 months of working there, I was moved to 3 different offices, told I didnt belong in the area I had been hired to provide care for, admonished by a manager in front of nurses and a treatment team and threatened that if I quit my job, I would never be hired into the federal system again. I quit. The day I quit, I got hired into a position that gave me a 22.00/hour pay raise, full benefits package and I got to set my own schedule. Thank you VA for teaching me just how truly nasty and cliquish people can be.
Pros
caring for the Veterans, Retirement account/benefits
Cons
everything else you can think of.
good job
this was a good position for me, good benefits though 25 percentile pay. no significant issues though just looking for something a little different. no deal breakers
Mixed feeling
I think that working at the VA you must love what you do. I admit I love my patients. I admit the job is easy, but the stress level is high. If you like the Union and it’s the place for you. I mean if you work hard and you won’t have problems, but watch out for the lazy people and if you tell them they have to work they will file a grievance with the Union and write to congress. If you get hired you are on the Gs pay scale if you have done the job for years I would recommend a step increase.
Working in 5D tele and ER is very rewarding
A usual day at work starts out crazy at first In the ER then tapers off though out the night for the most part. I moved from 5D tele to the ER to enhance my skills. So when I go back to nursing school I would have a step up then most that graduate. In both place for the most part especially in the ER we all work very well together. I can not really think of a part of my job that I would concerted hard. One patient at a time is my way of taking on anything in the medical field. Because if you don't thing will and can get missed. Interacting with the patient is one if not the most enjoyable part of my job.
Being flexible and successful in a productive organization
On a typical day, you can expect things will not go as planned because higher headquarters provide guidance to perfect the mission. I've learned that flexibility is the key to managing an organization. The workplace is like a family because everyone supports each other in the workplace. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with current technology changes that apply to the current operating system. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing benefits to Veterans and their families because of the sacrifices the Veterans made toward the freedom of this great nation.
Pros
After 15 years of service you receive 8 hour of leave per pay period
Cons
Mostly constant change and high stress.
relaxed environment
It was a really good place to work but I found my preference was for independence. Nice atmosphere but every one is not made for office jobs. Good work mates though.
Pros
nice people and you knew you were doing something good
Cons
Office environment I felt caged
Care Giver
I helped a veteran with cooking and cleaning. I helped remind the veteran to take their medications. Assisted veteran with paying bills. Accompanied veteran to appointments and shopping.
Job Security
not much to say, short staff means trying to get more work donew with less people. No rotation, problematic employees. lack of upward mobility or advancement
great place to work
nice place to work. culture of working with veterans is a great atmosphere. typical work day includes negotiating contracts and direct interaction with providers.
Veteran Affairs
Great place to work! I wish the VA had more veteran leadership. The VA has great people working for the vets. Lots of people demonstrate a great attitude and work as a team. The social workers are the best!
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Veteran leadership
The Mission
As a Veteran, the mission of the VA attracted me to wanting to be an employee. Helping other Veterans and ensuring that they get the proper and needed medical care was rewarding. In addition, to helping Veterans get their disability claims process in timely manner was fulfilling,
Pros
Benefits, joy of helping Veterans
Cons
Lack of Staff
Place of growth
The working environment was very professional. Working on Spinal Cord Injury, well, there were no typical days. Each and every day was a day of challenge and growth, for both patient and staff. The most satisfying, was patient satisfaction.
Was able to create new accounting monitoring systems used to monitor and direct vendor actions. Developed numerous commercial contracts.
Work extensively with the engineering staff, numerous contract specialists, technical vendors, medical technicians, accounting staff, and more. Was appointed by the agency director to participate in random drug testing of medical staff, nurses, and more.
Pros
interface with many highly educated and knowledgable staff, outside vendors, contractors and more.
Cons
very little room for financial advances (raises and/or promotion).
Decent work place
Stressful depending on the job. I've learned to manage time and work. Management has issues. Working environment is fair. Hardest part of my job is multi-tasking and getting it right the first time. EOD is the most enjoyable part of working in this environment.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Decent lunch breaks
Good place
A place to grow in professional skills and upward positions available.
Enjoy helping veterans with health care needs. Often patients were very thankful for all the work done for their needs.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Not enough time in the day to complete task
Loved a couple of my coworkers
love the Veterans, like the size of the VA. Some of my coworkers were the best. The benefits are nice. Actually able to use PTO. Initially everyone was very nice.
Pros
I felt I made a difference
Cons
The WORST management possible. Absolutely NO leadetship
High Performing Organization
The VA Cooperative Studies Program Clinical Research Pharmacy Coordinating Center in Albuquerque, NM is part of the Office of Research and Development under the Veterans Health Administration. The work we do is rewarding, the people are dedicated to the VA mission, and I leave my work day knowing I made a difference.
Pros
Autonomous work environment, good benefits
Cons
Very high expectations, demanding workload
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3K