Department of Veterans Affairs
Updates from Department of Veterans Affairs:
Updated: March 25 2020

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in New Orleans, LA

Independent working environment
Various work environments depending upon position responsibilities. Flexible work schedules with opportunities for telework in certain positions. Opportunities for growth and development.
Terrible
I hate it there. The management is incompetent and they don’t care about the veterans or the staff!!! I can’t wait to leave there!!! Don’t think government jobs are worth the stress!!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Terrible place to work
Na
Great place to start your career endeavours and room to grow and develop. Very fast paced and a lot of training but overall a great place to start and network.
Chaoitic
The V.A. Was the worst experience in employment. Nepotism, improper use of authority and hostility were the noted experience. Recently someone died due to the negligence of the engineers within logistics.
Benefits
Cons
A typical day depends on your department
My experience could have been better. The organization could benefit with additional training for the staff and team. The organization should focus more on workplace culture.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor management
I enjoyed my job helping veterans
I felt the position I held was mission oriented and I loved helping the veterans with their disability claims. The position was stressful at times due to production and quality standards
Don't do it
Go elsewhere. If you are a skilled healthcare worker, do not choose the New Orleans VA Medical Center. Go to any other hospital in the city. If you truly wish to work at a VA facility, then go to another city or state. New Orleans is a city that is behind the times. Unfortunately so is it's VA. I will be leaving shortly.
Pros
Federal benefits
Cons
Toxic work culture, lack of promotion opportunities, poor leadership
Love taking care of veterans
Providing vets with home care care is very rewarding. I love being able to offer this resource to vets. It's an honor to serve those men and women who have allowed us to enjoy the freedoms we enjoy.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Department of Veterans Affairs?
Many people have been there too long and set in their ways. Friendships over ride qualifications. I loved my job and working with Veterans, most difficult part was management.
Pros
Working with Veterans
Cons
managment needs to change
Great Benefits
Depends on what area you work. Management needs to come up with a solution for lack of there of training. Stay with your schedule that you agreed to work upon hire.
Pros
Benefits, overtime, co-workers
Cons
Some Managers are not qualified
Enjoyed working here. Completed general dentistry with adult population including comprehensive and limited exams, restorative, removable prosthetics.
Va
Long hours, little recognition for work performed. There is a lot of stress put on management to accomplish too many priorities at once with minimal staffing. Doing more with less for long periods of time causes employee burn out.
benefits
Cons
hours
I love working for the Federal Government
There is nothing that happens within the federal agency worth complaining about, because my benefits and job security is more important. I love being off on every holiday.
Best place to work
A great place to work, Chief that backs up his officers, but is also fair and will let you know if you are wrong. All of the higher ranked officers are also fair too.
Pros
working with fellow veterans and serving them
Cons
to expensive to live
A Great Place to Work
The work environment is comfortable. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement and professional growth. The pay is complimentary to the job duties and responsibilities.
Provided Assistance for Veterans
Soithern University was a great place to work and was very productive which allowed me to assist with helping veterans. Since I was employed their I've also work on Windows 98 and excel while employed.
Pros
Very stable work environment
Cons
Low pay
Assist veterans with their benefits
It was a pleasure to work for the Department of Veteran Affairs. This is the starting point for any veteran to apply for his VA benefits.
Pros
Cons
Not to veteran friendly
Organizational chart would be beneficial to indicate the chain 0f command.
Its a very interesting and challenging position,Training consist of sitting at your desk and reading manuals and interpreting various laws and associating them with real life situations. This was a daily day routine. Questions were answered by veteran co-workers when available. It's very rewarding assisting veterans with their appeal process. I'm more knowledgeable about veterans benefits than prior to this job. The veterans administration is a great place to work especially when surrounded by knowledgeable co-workers which makes it enjoyable. The most difficult part of this job is understanding the legal language and how to apply it.
Pros
Great organization, Training in a class room setting would be appropriate
Cons
Salary not in line with national average, Pay is too low.
Department of veteran's of affairs
excellent place to work and develop your dream career. Filled with limitless opportunities! Cant go wrong with the VA.
aerving veterans is a noble/worthwhile duty
Advancement for me was not possible being a civilian employee. It was a federal job.
Co-workers were not as dedicated to the mission.
Pros
resources to perform task
Cons
constant changes in work duties
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Excellent agency to work for. Work life balance is encouraged and productivity is of most important.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3K