Department of Veterans Affairs

Overworked
Unappreciated

Lack of knowledge

Great staff

Staff doesn't work together due to lack of space

Can't telework

Insufficient equipment to complete the job
Pros
Staff and co-workers
Cons
Location, equipment, support, upper management
Work environment
I work in a facility where 99% of the people are veterans. I enjoy my job and serving our veterans with any request they have. I enjoy working with my coworkers who make our 8 hours fun and enjoyable.
They gave me my first Federal position how could I not love this agency
This agency provides bonuses and promotes the union for its employees; they also do functions of appreciation for their employees. The support employee training.
productive and fun place to work in.
Great place to work and excellent leadership. Professionalism and respectful environment. I love working here , I enjoy interacting with veterans and providing great costumer service.
Pros
carreer advancement
Cons
n/a
Va
I really enjoyed working here and hope to work for Veteran Affairs in the future. I worked in many different areas such as acute medicine, CLC, Post Deployment and Blind Rehab Center.
Great enviroment.
Great employees and awewsome interactive M. D's; learned a lot with the staff. Relaxed work atmosphere and good equipment. I would love a chance to work with fellow veterans again.
Pros
Great benefits and flexibility
Cons
No bonuses, bad over-scheduling of patients and short/non-existent breaks
Federal employee
Process claims in the work queue, solving Veteran's claims ensuring quality assurance and regulations are followed for Rating criteria. It is stable job with great benefits but I also looking to grow in career along with my education.
Pros
Work in Comfortable Environment
Cons
Upward Mobility
Government
The basics of the job were hard to follow. Management had a loose understanding of what and how to run the facility. The best that can be said is that the doors opened daily.
Productive and fun workplace
Awesome team environment
Great upper management

Good benefits

A lot of potential for career growth

Many leadership focus committees

Open-door policy
Department of Veterans Affair
The day was mainly getting the veteran areas up to date with reporting their finances on the system and reviewing Citi Bank purchase for different areas and reconciled the information to report back to management.

This was a great learning experience as an Auditor/Accountant.
Great Organization
I loved my internship here!! Moved out of state...would love to get back into the V.A. Hospital where i currently live. Great managers and Staff good place to work.
competitive
Need better pay for all staff. Need incentives for staff and recognition. Increase pay of step increases and all VA locations should have locality pay.
benefits
Cons
low wages
Little to no advancement opportunities and underpaid
You work long hours with little respect or appreciation from other staff or management. There is no esprit de corps and very cut throat. Constantly have to be PC so as not to offend anyone and be placed on report or under internal investigation.
Unhealthy work environement
The organization like any other has excellent people and people that have no business being there. Unlike other places to be fired from a position that you are inept or incompetent at requires a lot of work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
unchecked hostile work environment
Not a good place to progress
Government job so all of the standard good things like Job Security but this is not a good place to advance. Supervisors would rather hire from another VA for promotions so they don't get accused of favoritism by promoting within. So, even though you may work hard and excel at your position, you will be treated the same as those who do the bare minimum. Sooner or Later even the most motivated workers figure this out so you either move on or become a bad employee.
Pros
Hard to get fired
Cons
too many to list
the ability to help our country veterans is an honor
helping veterans on a daily basis is a honor and I love it. I take pride in my work. the va is a wonderful place to work great company
Educational and Productive
An amazing place to work with Veterans of all ages and genre. Enjoyed learning as well as educating Veterans about living life on life's terms.
Great employer /Upward mobility
Great employer

28 days Vacation

Exposure to great opportunity
Pros
30 Minute Lunch
A+ for the Medical Media Department
The VA can be a difficult place for women to work. Just remember you're mostly going to be catering to seniors who tend to be a little grumpy.

However, the Medical Media Department was a nice and quite office to work in. I am grateful for the experience and opportunities I had there.
Pros
Compensation & Benefits
Cons
Sexism in the Workplace
Vawpb
Excellent, dedicated Staff willing to go extra mile for Veterans on a dialy basis.
Pros
Schedule, Benefits
Cons
Compensation
Never a dull moment
The patients keep me very busy from the moment I walk into work. Everyday is a new learning experience because of the different diagnoses, medication and different personalities. The hardest part of my job is not getting emotionally attached to certain situations. Being around the staff and patient is enjoyable.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Expensive family healthcare
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3K