Department of Veterans Affairs
Coronavirus update
Information from Department of Veterans Affairs:

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Medical Support Assistant

Medical Support Assistant391 reviews
Good people, benefits and pay. Helping Veterans with their care. Good hours and location. No room for advancement. Retirement benefits and 401k benefits.
Pros
Meeting Veterans
Cons
Hardly any support from management
Inexperienced mgrs. placed by favoritism. Mgrs about power not making a difference not open to new suggestions. Mgrs. were punitive not mentoring, discriminatory and solicited employees to file Reports of Contact against employees they didn't like to use to reprimand them
Pros
Very unhappy place to work not many pros
Cons
No advancement on merit often bypassed for promotions by favoitism or personal preference.
Hard to move up the latter unless you know them well, some great people and some who aren’t so great. Those who are, can be very helpful. You education level sometimes doesn’t matter, if possible they’ll offer the least pay with a crazy amount of work
The va is still living in an 80’s era where online scheduling access is non-existent. The va has failed to adapt to modernization and is seriously lagging behind. It’s 2020 already and your still running things old school with ancient legacy technology as if telephone is the only option, thus further making it complicated for veterans to get the healthcare they need.

If the va would grant full open access to online appointment scheduling to veterans, you would not have a high call volume on a monday or any other day with veterans complaining of being on hold for over 30 mins to an hour, thus placing tremendous amount of stress on your msa agents to clear the que.

If call center metrics were non-existent you would have a continued dedicated staff of msa’s, yet bdms leadership imposes such excessive micro-management in metrics (length of call, not ready status, etc..), Which has caused a high turnover of msa’s to leave from being overworked and burnt-out. Your call stats are heavily scrutinized from a 3 to 4 minute call handle time which is impossible to achieve constantly on a daily basis, to bi-weekly call metric reports telling msa’s they are too slow in handling calls and need to be faster !!!

If I remember correctly, bdms management wanted to cut back on relaying messages via trm to the providers which profoundly sever’s an important communication link for veterans and their family members to provide critical health information to the patients health care team. And recently they took away our skype usage privileges which also serves as an important quick communication
 - more...
I was an advanced medical support assistant and the VA tries to grind you for the most work they can get while paying as little as they can. They promise things like bonuses, but they are lying....
It’s is difficult to be promoted if you’re smart and don’t know anyone. Family members and friends and promoted over you even if they lack the education or skills to perform the job, then you’re expected to train them. I’ve worked here for almost 2 years and with a bachelors and working on a masters degree, I’ve fought for a promotion. It’s disappointing to the employees who work hard.
I do not recommend working at the VA. It is unfair place to work. it is hard to advance to other positions, its all about who yu know. just a bunch of back stabbing people
Not a well place to work very unprofessional and unorganized and mismanaged. Manger dwell on here say and gossiping no support for the staff . No one care about what their role here is
Wonderful, great place to work. Patients make work feel like family instead of work. Even on bad days, the rewarding work I do makes it better. Management always has your back and best interest at heart.
I have not been working for the VA long, but I am prior military so I chose to work here to give back to Veterans and their families with great quality services. I receive all of my care from the VA.
Pros
Ability to transfer within
Cons
Short lunches
Going to a job that assists our nation’s military veterans with their healthcare needs is extremely fulfilling!

However, trying to navigate the upper level management bureaucracy is appalling.

Upper level management is very nepotistic and deaf to the input of front line employees.

A few section chiefs abuse their positional authority by picking and hiring favorites within the organization.
Certain things and people should really change. These changes would make a huge impact on productivity and morale. This is so important when dealing with Veterans.
Distinguished Research Medical Center for Veterans which is very much involved in the overall health and well being through research studies. There exists studies and programs for our aging Veterans to help improve healthy aging and overall health.
Pros
Proud to serve those who serve our Nation's Armed Forces
This organization has great benefits, flexible work schedules and personnel that know what to do in any situation. The workplace culture is pleasant and inviting when you walk thru the doors.
Greatest experience I have working for the department of Veterans Affairs was getting to help those that served to protect our freedom. I had the opportunity to work with a very diverse workforce and also was able to become friends with all of the VA patients that I came in contact with.
Once you first start they will happily welcome you in! But once you finished training and they release you onto the phones, you are forgotten about and will be treated like garbage!

Leadership is too focused on meeting metrics rather than helping and assessing the needs of their staff. They will excessively micromanage you to the point that you are overworked and broken down!! Leadership is too focused in improving their own careers and themselves, thus neglecting the health and mental state of their employees.

Every call you take in is heavily scrutinized; the length of the call, being on not ready status, etc.. If your call statistics fall beyond a certain point, you will be subjected to consequences!

If they notice you are making a bunch of mistakes despite how hard you try to make things right, they will take it out on you and discipline you for it !!!

I have noticed favoritism from sups towards certain employees which is unfair. Preferential treatment towards MSA’s who excel beyond, thus ignoring the talents and hard work of other MSA staff members.

Unless you enjoy being hooked up to the computer like a slave forced to take calls nonstop for 8 hrs, I do not recommend working for this contact center concentration camp organization.

If you are thinking of applying to be an MSA, make sure the job position they offer you is with the actual clinic and not in the call center!
Leadership is so busy counting numbers they fail to see that they have good employees who value their work, but are often the ones they look over. There is very little encouragement for the work you do, only the demand to do better. I'm sad when I walk in the building because there is someone lurking around to see if you are in your seat at precisely 8:00 am. Then if your not you get called in to tell you about the 3 min u are not in your seat, not counting you have spent 3 min to walk to their office to here this BS. I feel so stuck. I go because I can't seem to get out. I've applied until I tired and discouraged.
Supervisors call out at least 1 sometimes 2 time per week. but let me call out one day, I get the lecture about it being at the discretion if the time is approved or not. Now mind you I have the AL or SL to cover this. It has to be approved like I'm 4 years old. I know when I'm sick, or when I just know this is not going to be a productive day for me. I'm at work everyday on time. Whatever foolish they pull out their butts I do. Know this is just really dumb. Next week its a change to something even more dumb. Our veterans suffer not because of lack of healthcare, but due to the people that oversee it. The system often defeats itself

My Opinion
A typical day was fast paced working in a clinic environment from the time entering the clinic until end of tour of duty, management had unrealistic expectations of work goals of servicing the vets(which was a joy) but the expectations of additionally making 30-40 calls a day for return visits for vets in a high volume clinic, while taking request from nurses, emails from other healthcare professionals, sale reps, going to other clinics to assist was overwhelming and made the ability to complete the above task and several other task not included overwhelming. The workplace culture is not professional unlike a corporate environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the vets/they were awesome.
Pros
Most of the time taking classes
Cons
pay
Love the experience and the advancement that is allowed at the VA. Can move up and many ways to get increased salary. The VA has great health care benefits with many choices to choose from. No limitation on how far you can go as long as you apply yourself.
Working in direct contact with Veterans is always great. Most of the time there was team effort and support. It was a good place to work except that they weren't understanding if you needed a leave of absence for a major surgery. The pay and benefits were really great.
You are not able to stick up for yourself without retaliation. Management will lie and deceive and not support their employees.
Working for the Veterans is very rewarding, however management is more concerned with what is best for themselves.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3K