Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Program Assistant

Program Assistant185 reviews
Opportunity to support our Veterans
The Department of Veterans Affairs allows me the opportunity to support our Veterans. It offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits and the opportunity for growth.
The job is fulfilling
This job allows me to be able to give back to Veterans. My duties require me to monitor data for congestive heart failure and community health patients.
They actually help veterans all across they board
If they cared about their employees enough rather than quality over quantity the job would mean so much more! Their is no moral boost amongst employer and employees.
Need improvement
The VA has problems with promoting individuals that have a skill level that is best for a job. The environment is toxic and no opportunity for minority people.
Micro-Management
Lots of micro management. Always monitored. Need time management skills. The entire day is scheduled. Most of the staff are friendly and always willing to give a helping hand.
Government Job
It is a great government job. But it is time to move on. Holidays off and weekends as well. You get a chance to meet the Veterans that fought in previous wars.
Very little interaction with others and somewhat disorganized
Very little interaction with other employees due to a cubicle environment. Outdated Standard Operating Procedures with very little guidance as how to complete job tasks with little to no assistance from supervisors as far as job requirements.
Poor Management, culture of corruption.
People are great to work with. I initially thought my experience and skills would be valued. That was all for show. This is a dead-end job and management (newly hired) is all about making themselves look good at any cost, (no mistake to trivial to not blame others). I would love to keep working with Veterans but the culture is too toxic and there are no opportunities, unless you are a prior friend or family member of someone already in management.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Department of Veterans Affairs?
Not the best place to work
The VA system has horrible civilian leaders who don't do well interacting with military retirees or veterans. There is no sense of comrodary at the VA hospital.
It was a rewarding job
It was a challenging and rewarding job.the geriatrics department is large and fast pace institution.
As the only veteran on staff I had to impart military knowledge and thus TOMS in the daily treatment of the veterans.
Typical federal position
Typical work office setting. There is nothing further to add. This is a typical office with a mainly sedentary work environment, typing filing, phones.
Typical Federal Employment
There is plenty to keep you busy, and the "members" are not always polite and appreciative. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that allow government organizations to function. Despite rumors and negative press, it is a good place to give back to those who served.
Wonderful work environment
Incredible department to work for and people to work with. The workplace culture is inviting and they take an interest in your career success. I would love to go back and work in the field that I have a degree for specifically.
Work with Veterans, Decent Benefits
High stress! If you love working with those who served our country and would like to work non-stop and independently with minimal appreciation from Management, this may be the job for you! High turnover due to many employees who are overqualified and/or underappreciated, and have no room for advancement. On the bright side there are decent health, dental, and vision benefits, a TSP account to save for retirement, Flexible Spending accounts for heath and childcare, and Long-term health care benefits available, as well (not free).
Job
Enjoyed working there, worked with doctors, nurses,other staff, made appointments for patients,answered phones, faxing documents, ran travel pay,distinguished eligibility
Enjoyed working with other Veterans
Benefits are untouched by any private employer, really loved working with and around other veterans, training for the position was a little chaotic lots of work to get done snd trying to train me
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Not easy for advancement
Don't do it
Go elsewhere. If you are a skilled healthcare worker, do not choose the New Orleans VA Medical Center. Go to any other hospital in the city. If you truly wish to work at a VA facility, then go to another city or state. New Orleans is a city that is behind the times. Unfortunately so is it's VA. I will be leaving shortly.
Pros
Federal benefits
Cons
Toxic work culture, lack of promotion opportunities, poor leadership
Enjoyable place to work and to serve our vets.
Hardest part of the job is to see vets suffering as a result of putting their life on the line for our country. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I did my best to take of the vets that I come in contact with. They are so appreciative that we are here and caring for them.
HBPC is the best at serving our older veterans.
I worked for VA Home Based Primary Care. These health professionals have done an excellent job caring for our older veterans so they can live at home.
Good Place to work
This is a good place to work but the opportunities for advancement is regulated by the federal government. The employment data fluctuates due to decisions by the law makers. You always have to worry about government shutdowns and policies that will determine the federal jobs.
Enjoyed Working at VA.
Great place to work if you like to serve a cause greater than yourself. Some bad management and bad attitudes, but many employees who truly want to serve our veterans and their families. Many job opportunities for veterans. Locations are often in run down or rough neighborhoods.
Pros
Benefits and Hours
Cons
Locations
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3K