Department of Veterans Affairs
Coronavirus update
Information from Department of Veterans Affairs:

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Registered Nurse168 reviews
I dont like that there are code yellows on a daily basis and i dont like working in a room with no window- only artificial light. there needs to be a change adding more remote access to us that are not seeing patients face to face.
benefits
Cons
harsh culture - angry veterans
Drama. Not welcoming. Drama. Drama. Chain of command not helpful. Drama. Relationship on unit. More drama from that. Drama. Staff are fed up, trying to transfer. Drama. Females get targeted. Drama. Your best bet is to quit. Drama. Go somewhere where you’re appreciated. Drama.

There’s a lot of nice people on the unit but the ones who aren’t nice ruin it for everyone. It’s crazy how such a small group on ladies and a young girl can cause so much turmoil.
Pros
Veterans
Cons
Drama
Loved caring for the men and women who have sacrificed so much to protect and serve our country. Lots of opportunity to further education and certification within the BA system.
Watch yourself, if you call out nurses for being shady they will try to kill you. NO RESPECT! Do not work here if you like taking care of people. They train the staff to defraud the government and when they get called on it you will get fired.
I started working here as a new grad. I have learned that this place does not appreciate hard work, the management is revolving constantly, no continuous education, no leadership, archaic way of running the business
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
Leadership, advancement, poor morale, reverse discrimination
During my 35 years working iwas proud to served veterans and the opportunity of advance to reach goals that was given.policy and procedures was always available for review and training always given
Busy shift work, sometimes difficult with heavy job responsibilities. Management seemed genuinely interested in ways to improve and listening to the employees.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Heavy workload
I am so proud to serve our nation’s hero’s. I feel deeply valued and deeply appreciated for the work that I do. The VA is family. We have great leaders who really care about us. We also have great staff and personnel that really care about our Veterans. I couldn’t be prouder of my service to a very special population.
I love working at the Veterans affairs facility, friendly and accommodating environment. However parking is a big issue on daily bases for most employees.
A typical day at work can be very stressful at time but overall was a good place to work. I learned that working hard and dedicating your self in taking care of our veterans is rewarding .
Pros
Good paying jobs
Cons
Management is very manipulative and not truthful.
You have room for advancement if you desire
good benefits

training

NNEI

the hardest part of the job is the different personalities.

Politics

The most enjoyable part of the job is we work hard and fun too
Good working culture, great working environment. Approachable management team. Work hours can be flexible- shared/self scheduling available. Private hospitals pay more. Majority of patients are kind and grateful.
Love it here. Always opportunities for advancement in management and educational wise. Great benefits/ retirement and tons of insurances to choose from.
Working with veterans is enriching and delightful. The leave that the VA gives is extraordinarly generous. Benefits for health and dental are good. I enjoy helping those who are sick and making them better.
My Job at the VA was great- the money fabulous. I left as a result of personal problems at home, but had run in's about the boilerplates in blood administration- in nursing documentation, that I felt were not user friendly. I couldn't help but to think that they were being made off the cuff-to justify positions the administration held.
I was in the Military. I understand this concept.
I've worked with the VAMC since 2003. Trying to decide if its time to retire. But I have "family" here, an awesome nurse manager and the job benefits are very good. Its hard to leave.
Overall, the VA is a fantastic place to work. Even while working in the ICU, a busy shift there was often an average one in the private sector. Nurses are treated far better there than other hospitals. There are variables contingent upon the specific manager/supervisor, but I personally have been very fortunate in that area. There is opportunity for growth and advancement, but it also requires initiative.
Manament poor. Upper management created a hostile place for all employees. Back stabbing was allowed daily. No job advancement. No raises. I worked there for 16 + years. I worked every area - hospice, spinal cord injury, mental health, rehab. And home health.
The management NEVER stands behind the staff. They realize it’s unsafe and will continue to fill beds quickly with patients and limited staffing. They tout their experience but haven’t worked as actual provider(s) for 20 years.

The population at the DV VA is heavily riddled with addiction and mental disorders.
Accommodating and great place to work in. Great camaraderie! Has a variety of positions that are available nationwide in which is a plus for a lot of employees.
I ended up leaving die to my boss at the time. But the VA was a great place to work. Good coworkers too. Great experience as well. We still get together, you become a family after awhile. It was an honor serving our veterans.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3K