Dollar General

Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 31,289 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,290 reviews

nice people with a great work environment

Working for dollar general is really nice its a nice laid back job that's easy to do but the only problem is the hours there extremely short if you work part time.

Pros

Good environment

Cons

no benefits

Productive and a fun work environment with plenty of work to do to keep you busy

Productive and a fun work environment to work in but training was an issue we barely got trained especially the appropriate way to be trained while I worked there management really didn't do the part of their job that they were supposed to do to keep the company going good and efficient

Pros

Flexible scheduling able to work with you with the type of hours you need

Cons

Short breaks and always understaffed

It's a Job

It's exactly what you would expect. The pay isn't great and the work is boring. It's a job is you need one. Nothing less, nothing more. The biggest negative is that is can get dangerous depending on the area you are in.

Pros

Work/Life balance is Ok

Cons

Low pay, very little room for advancement

Stressful

Never enough help. Too high of expectations with no chance of completing all of tasks assigned. Low wages for regular employees so no one wants a job.

Cons

Management wasn't always the best

I would come in everyday just to get harshly talked to by the manager for something that wasn't even my fault. The manager was not very good at being a manager. I enjoyed the customers, and my fellow employees. The manager would talk about other employees, and customers when they would leave the store.

Pros

Was able to get full time hours

Cons

Breaks where supposed to undisturbed, but where not

Corporate profits on the broken backs of the store employees

Never enough employees to get the work done. Company’s own policies say that no employee should ever be working alone in the store but then corporate doesn’t give enough hours to schedule multiple employees for most of the day on almost every day. Only place I ever worked where the amount of demanding physical labor increased the higher you were promoted. Pay very little and are surprised at high employee turnover. Insane expectations for amount of work to be accomplished on a shift, especially when you’re the only employee working half the time. Worst retail job I ever worked.

Pros

Cons

Literally every part of the job.

Reputation far precedes the company, only work here if you've got nothing else.

This company is by and large one of the worst to work for, they ask so much of you and yet the pay is garbage. There's some arbitrary rule about stocking one rolltainer per hour but that only works for some rolltainers (pet supplies or cleaning supplies.) Management is a joke letting their favorites take bags of merchandise out the back door at the end of day and taking hours from one employee and giving them to another without notice. District has no idea what's going on in the stores but somehow these places keep popping up and making money. The whole company is a festering wound on every rural town they come to. The world does not need more Dollar Generals. For the love of god there are 8 stores in a 20 mile radius of my house, EIGHT!

Pros

Cons

Hours, pay, management, place is a revolving door of anybody they can get to come in, Favoritism in the work place by horrible managers.

Store Manager

Work life balance is none existence. I live the job but I need more time with my family. Dollar General is constantly growing and has plenty of room for advancement. But it's not a place to raise a family with.

Horrible management and pay is awful

You are under appreciated and you are not paid for the work you do and your hours go against your availability. Managers have inappropriate relationships in the parking lots during store hours and leave you for entire work day alone to run personal errands. Not a place I would recommend to anyone!!!

Don't recommend dollar general to my enemy

They don't give 2 sh*ts about their employees. They keep piling on the work and nothing to compensate! When you reach out to the higher ups they ignore you or dont care.

Cons

Benefits bad and pay to low

Pay suppose to be experience nor true try to pay less as possible jus to like raises because it hits dm bonus the less they pay out in stores the more bonuses they get. Even if managers them the pay they are made to cut hours of the ones paid higher to keep their bonus

Pros

Co workers

Cons

Dollar general it’s self con cares about company not workers

Great Customers

Great customers! Organization is well thought out. Managers and District Managers control everything, and have their own clique. If you’re not a manager you don’t count.

Pros

Great customers.

Cons

Poor management.

No hours to give employees

As a manager I’m always at work never having any time for family. To get one day off per week I work 55-70 hours per week. Not enough hours to work my people to keep store stocked and clean and customers happy.

Pros

Serving others is my passion

Cons

Single coverage(ALOT)

Terrible place (atleast where I was)

Management was terrible and they get so offended when you have a life outside of dollar general. I was a part time student in high-school working almost everyday for 8-9 hours because we were understaffed. The location I was at couldn’t keep people because of how much you had to do and how extremely rude the customers were. It doesn’t help that when people called off last minute it fell onto you or the next person or both of you. It also seemed like a lot of work for only $9 an hour, and being how you had to get a certain amount of stuff done at a certain time while trying to run register and keep the line down was a lot and stressful. Also management barely tries to follow your schedule.

Pros

Fun moments with coworkers

Cons

stressful, low wage, overworks you

I enjoyed working there because if my regular customers and made alot of friends along the way.

Not bad over all, but holidays were crazy and never enough back up when needed. High pace and stress job at times. Worked at 2 different stores and the first store management was run great, the 2nd one was poorly run and wore me down. It's a good starter job but not necessarily a career choice for me. Customer service can be very exhausting.

Pros

Meeting some very nice and kind people.

Cons

Always stocking and cashing out customers. Not well organized that way.

Fun place to work!

Always something to do! I love the customers! You can bring your own ideas to work and use them. You can advance in the company very fast! Great place to work!

Pros

Fast paced.

Cons

Employee drama!

Can be fun but chaotic also

High turnover rate, short staffed. You have to stock while being a cashier and it's hard at a busy store. As a keyholder you have to empty big containers of products onto shelves in the midst of being a cashier, solving problems and running the store. The fun part is meeting new people like customers and co-workers. You get paid weekly, would be an ok job if the things they want done were not so unrealistic.

Pros

Meeting new people

Cons

Stocking while being on the register amongst other duties

poor treatment but your coworkers are likely as poor as you are so its easy to relate

While working at dollar general I dealt with multiple coworkers who should have been fired and where not, I also worked with coworkers who would never get promoted even though they 100% should have. It was always the case that the worst employees got promoted and even if a good employee was to be promoted they would get treated like dogs from upper management, the training encourages this behavior though the training that basically tells you dollar general is your life and nothing else matters even though they pay you like your nothing. DG is a company that would definitely make you pay to work for them if that was legal. my manager was great though and I feel bad for him because they want him to put DG over his family 100% of the time and this is the standard not the exception

Pros

coworkers will mostly be fine except the ones who have no humility(1 in 5), you'll always have a jobs with DG, just one where they give you as few hours as possible

Cons

there are no standards for employee to employee relations, because nobody wants to work for this company, and if they do the company will chew them up and spit them out once you become wise

Bad place

Until they hire more and people wants to work I would not recommend manager position. I averaged less than 12.00 an hour because I was salaried and the amount of hours I put in. No help from upper management or Corp. Promises the moon but delivered dirt

Pros

Cons

Long hours little pay

Toxic working environment

Store Manager and district manager expect you to be on call during your days off, get mad when you tell them you made plans for your scheduled days off, and change your schedule on a daily basis. If you are not an assistant manager or higher, you do not get a yearly raise. You have to be given a merit raise if they see fit (and they rarely give them out.) Store manager complains loudly about customers/other employees in front of other customers, but then expects you to get the customer to give a 5 star rating on a survey. Was given gruff for taking allotted breaks. There was a lot of ‘do as I say, not as I do’ attitude from the SM. Only happiness was working with some of the co-workers and the some of the regular customers.

Pros

Co-workers, nice customers

Cons

No breaks, double standards, treated the employees with disrespect

Alright place to work

Alright place to work. I moved up the ladder rather quickly to assistant manager. We had a high turn-over rate that made it difficult. Work hours always varied. I was able to go to college while working there to eventually move on to put my degree to use.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

6.4K
6.4K
8.1K
4.4K
5.9K

• Dollar General
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?