Food Safety Net Services

Food Safety Net Services Employee Reviews

never a slow moment

theres always work to be done which is a pro and con. It can be stressful when people call out or lab is short staffed. workload can get behind and to get caught up is a grind.

Pros

co workers

Cons

disproportionate staffing to workload

Avoid at all costs!

Only for the desperate. If you’re fresh out of college, get experience and leave. The environment is very toxic. You will be told that you can move up through the company and transfer departments but there are people who’ve been in the same position for atleast 5 years with no chance of moving. The only benefit about this place is that it is the highest paying lab in Fresno at the moment. Management cares not about their employees, only about turnaround time. They will use every opportunity to not promote you. Try BSK or Safe Food Alliance for a better job. This one isn’t it

Pros

Cons

Low pay/high expectations

Awful Company - Avoid

This company operates on a revolving door mindset where employees are not valued. Employees consistently have time cards adjusted for periods of down time, you are penalized and docked points for using PTO even for documented doctors visits, couriers are docked for lunches but seldom have the time to take them, micro technicians are often expected to stay hours extra due to poor staffing/scheduling, path lab is severely understaffed due to poor promotion choices and lack of technicians with any longevity beyond 6 months, login technicians have an expansive ever growing list of responsibilities well outside of the job description, and the product evaluation department is working out of a small kitchen while expected to process thousands of pounds of product daily. The only position I could recommend at this location would be that of lab manager as you will be able to watch cameras and browse your phone all day without ever really doing anything even remotely similar to lab work.

Pretty decent

I haven't had too many issues with this company. My coworkers are pretty helpful when I have questions, and in the 5 months I've been here I'm already moving up the ladder. The main problem that I see is a bit of lack of communication between managers and employees, but beyond that I like it here.

Run away while you can

This place has the worst culture. They lie to you on the interview, They overwork you by not letting anyone leave until everyone is done, and they even threaten to fire the entire team if you fall behind. This place cant hold a employee for more than a month. The hardest part of the job would be the hours. They have mandatory OT and can keep you for 12 hours or even more. Have a child at home or you are straining yourself, too bad you stay until you are done so work harder and faster so you can go home.

Pros

you get lab experience

Cons

Too much OT, bad Culture, job security

Run!

Was there when it was Micro Quality Labs and even then it was disorganized. Lack of trained managers and too many other employees who deemed it their role to supervise others. Didn’t know who you could trust and have never been in such a toxic work environment. If you are right out of college, it would be great experience, otherwise they will run you to the ground. Favoritism is definitely how you move up if at all. If for some reason you still apply, highly suggest not trusting anyone. Because when I say anything can be used against you it most likely will.

Pros

Some employees are great

Cons

Everything else

Unprofessional management and bad work conditions

Don't work here. Unprofessional staff and bad work conditions. The management is disrespectful to employees and look at employees as objects to complete the job and not people.

Unbreable

This job was dreadful. There is extreme favoritism here and they are quick to promote their white staff members compared to their non-white staff. If you are not white, be prepared to be treated very differently. A majority of the management team was not helpful. They do not provide much training, support, or promote a positive environment. When you ask questions they tend to get irritated and will be very condescending. Management tends to lean heavily on their stronger employees. They have different expectations for everyone and the workload will not be shared equally. They will never say anything to the slow/favorite employees. The manager on Sundays always seems to be in a mood and will take it out on you (do not work on Sundays). This company needs to invest in developing the leadership skills and emotional intelligence of its managers. They severely need diversity and inclusion training. You will be constantly on your feet, and will hardly ever get to leave on time. There is a reason this company has such a high turnover rate. Do not work hard or quickly because it will go unnoticed and unappreciated. My advice to those interested in this company, get your experience and leave.

Always busy and high turnover

There will always be a lot work and no two days are ever the same. Long hours on nights and weekends make it difficult for any social life. You learn a lot at first but gets repetitive very quickly.

Good for a first job

If you need experience, get it here. And every day is different with different hurdles. People here are nice and help the days fly by. Not every job out there is like this place.

Good people, low pay, major disconnect between the labs and upper management

There are countless great jobs with much less stress in the Columbus area paying substantially higher for a bachelor's degree, or even just a GED. This place can't even outcompete the hourly rate of the Panda Express down the road. FSNS is incredibly stressful, has a parking lot that can only handle 2/3 of the staff every day (seriously, it's really bad), an anti-vax manager that spreads COVID, and just a high school gossip environment in general. I'm barely chipping at the mountain of issues in order to bang out a 5-10 minute review. Some of the coworkers were excellent, and probably the only plus to the job. If you're just graduating and need a quick job, you may be tempted to work here because you liked micro or want lab experience. Don't.

Extreme favoritism, everyone is overworked, pay is bad, good things are overlooked and mistakes are emphasized

When I was getting hired they promised the opportunity to advance within a few months. Absolutely nobody advances that fast, so they knew that was a lie while they were telling it. There is supposed to be so much time in between certain advancements. This time limit of course does not apply if you are a favorite. If you are not among the chosen few, then you would be lucky to get trained and advance anywhere close to the promised pace. They claim that it is only required to have a high school diploma to work at the lab and that is why the pay is so low. They prefer people with a masters degree and don’t treat the difference in education any different. They make new hires take a personality test to figure out if the person is “suitable” to the job. This test is either highly inaccurate or maybe just maybe a personality test is not a good gage for who would work well at a microbiology lab…. Everyone is overworked. They make jobs priorities to try to ensure they get done and anytime something gets missed, it then becomes a priority as well. After time goes by almost everything is a considered a priority which stresses out those that are in charge of getting it all done. There is animosity between the shifts. Because there is too much work for any shift to get done, the next shift always feels like they are having work dumped on them that they should not have to deal with. If you are reading any reviews like this one, know that they are honest and true for the various lab locations. Either head of HR or some other higher up goes around a belittles the people writing them. -

Pros

You do gain lab experience and a title so that’s nice

Cons

Pay, environment, workload, lack of appreciation

The company pushes for fast turn around time & over works it’s employees and pays them minimally.

I worked at FSNS for a little under a year and I learned a lot but I was mostly self taught. They lack on training their employees which is a big factor in their HUGE turn over rate. They severely underpay and severely over work their employees and wonder why they can’t retain staff. Most people in the lab are amazing but they are all drowning and stressed out. Closing the lab is the worst part & every week or day they add even more work load when they already don’t have enough people. They constantly ask why people get out at 3/4am REGULARLY & place blame on the workers for not “utilizing” their time properly. Management does not communicate with one another & they will bleed you dry. Work life balance is terrible for the pay. My advice: get your lab experience & leave ASAP. There is little room for growth at this company & the favoritism is highly apparent.

Pros

Mostly great people at this lab Free food sometimes

Cons

Benefits are sub par Forced overtime BAD PAY RATE over worked & highly UNDERSTAFFED Poor management

You have to train yourself and there is little commitment to quality assurance and workers safety.

This is a good place for someone needing to get a lot of experience quickly. Expect to train yourself. There is not any commitment to certain safety needs of employees. Management will expect more our or you than lab work such as facilities cleaning.

Miserable

This is the most toxic work environment I have ever had the displeasure to be in. Supervisors and coworkers will pressure you constantly to stay overtime. If you make a mistake you will be ridiculed and abused. There's no interest in supporting workers to get better, supervisors and their minions will shame and shift blame to the easiest scapegoats. The lab is chronically understaffed. The pay is low, benefits not good. This company does not value its lab workers, who are in the trenches. If you need lab experience and work here, do not stay longer than a year. Know your boundaries and don't overextend yourself. Some people who work here are very kind and patient, because they already know how toxic the place is and just want to stay strong and be a friend to newcomers. Others will let the resentment and bitterness eat away at them and become bullies who feel they have superiority to anyone new to the lab. You will quickly learn who to avoid. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

Cons

Long hours, abusive work culture, low pay

Revolving door of employees. Benefits were okay but pay not great. Rotating shift schedules and a lot of weekend work. Employees were great.

This was my first job out of college. The pay was not enough to pay loans back and live. There was always a revolving door of people. The shifts were rotating shifts, staggering schedules and weekend work was always required. The benefits were decent. The other employees were great to work with.

Get your experience and leave…

This place is great to start off with. Just know that you will be overworked and probably underpaid. Emphasis on overworked. For example, you could be wrapping up your work and finishing up then someone will give you an assignment that takes at least an hour to finish 15 minutes before you’re scheduled to leave. Some people in management are good but the majority aren’t. The ones that are bad don’t communicate nor train new employees well. Then when mistakes are made, they look at you like it’s your fault. Although I personally loved my team, I don’t like the environment.

Pros

For new grads great room for growth

Cons

Lack of communication, Overworked, Underpaid

Great if you need lab experience! (I.E. Recent College Grads)

Coming into work, I find my self repeating the same tasks daily, from constantly cleaning after others, to preparing the same reports/tests. While there was a steep learning curve to the work done, after three months I found myself stuck on particular large clients while others had the opportunity to choose projects simpler and smaller than mine. The only opportunities I had to learn new clients/test methods were when new hires were being taught the large clients I was typically assigned.Management is often unavailable and unhelpful, due, in part, to working swing/nightshift. When I did interact with management, Jill and Monica were often passive aggressive and dismissive of my concerns. As a result, I was left with little to no guidance and a fear of failure rather than aid and support needed from a management team. The majority of individuals within the Main Lab department are welcoming, however there is very little respect for others. Often benches and entire rooms are left as a mess and personal pipettes are taken and not seen for days on end. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining experience, however the time invested is not worth the trouble.

Pros

Flexible schedule, welcoming environment

Cons

Little to no support from management, Out of date resources

If you have no other option with zero laboratory experience then it might be worth it temporarily while you find something better.

If you have any qualifications or other options then it is in your best interest to keep looking. I am not going to put the accurate location I worked at because I worked with the company for years. I met many great people in my time that were passionate and helpful and I can only hope they get out before This place destroys them like it does anyone that ends up staying for more than 6 months to a year. This company does not care about it’s employees. You will not be paid appropriately, raises will not be amounts that even account for cost of living increases if they happen at all, you will need to do huge amounts of overtime to account for the people corporate won’t let be hired. If you want to enter a workforce of extreme stress such as the military, then you may want to consider working here for the stress training. Otherwise, if you would like to have any work life balance, weekend days off, consistency in schedule, or ever see your loved ones again then go elsewhere. It does not get better. You will not be properly trained if you are trained at all but you will be expected to tackle big projects with no help or resources to ask. Everyone else will be as equally stressed and overwhelmed and will not be able to help. Morale will be low because you are close to crying when you are only half way through your 15 hour shift for the day. You will have an extraordinary amount of people leave abruptly with no notice. If your “professional” job has higher turnover than McDonald’s then you know it is being run into the ground. If you do accept a position, get ready for your inevitable -

Pros

Eventually when you leave the company, you will have a better respect for any other laboratory job and how well they are run in comparison.

Cons

Low pay, Low care, Huge amount of overtime, No training, No emphasis on why the job matters even though it does, And 100 more.

Courier company hauling samples 90 miles each way

The job is good. I drove an SUV out-of-town and back every night. I enjoyed the jjob, wanted more $ but for the Omaha market, it was above average pay. I has hit by a car on my previous courier job, needed shoulder surgery and had to take six months off to recover.

Pros

Good pay for the local market. Traveled out-of-town daily.

Cons

I was fired while recovering from surgery. Granted that injury occurred on a prior job.

Very cliquey. Full of lazy 20 something y/o.

Getting paid minimum wage to finish lab reports as fast as you can. They only care to push reports through and that's it. People in the lab are cliquey and makes you think you're in high school. Previous lab leads (not sure if they still work there) made everyone do hard reports while they stuck with the easy ones.

Cons

low pay, not so great benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food Safety Net Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Food Safety Net Services
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?