Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,949 reviews

Great culture, Great people

Goldman hires the smartest people and that is very obvious in daily interactions if you come from another bank or move to another job. Support functions are the best I have seen and they know what they are doing/talking about as opposed to some other places. IT systems are best in class. One of the best culture I have come across with people/managers genuinely trying to help develop you. The worst thing you can say in Goldman is that the person/behavior was "Un-Goldman like." Communication skills of the employees are a cut above the rest.

Great leadership

I worked as a Savings Specialist for about a year. My work was done remotely due to Covid which was a relief but it seems that leadership is making everyone go into the office now, it makes no sense since I was able to do my job just fine from home. At least for me, my time at Goldman's was very positive.

Pros

Management was very supportive.

Cons

They keep track of your every move while working remotely.

Productive and well paid

The building itself was beautiful and amazing. Coworkers and management were extremely nice and helpful. the job was not hard at all and we were compensated very well for it.

Good learning and personality development

No work life balance..Very stressful at times, but overall a good learning experience.Interesting opportunities like project work, cross training, Internal mobility.

Good place to start the career with trade off

- Great name to put on the resume- There are opportunities for advancement- Plenty of smart people to interact with- Very poor work-life balance- Considering the amount of the work, the pay is in fact just ok- A lot of politics

Great

Great company to work good and there is some pressure also i would recommend fr entry level we can learn lot of things so it's fine for feeling pressure

What you read is true

I've never worked for a company that bullies their employees more than this company. The lack of vision is mind boggling and then take it out on the staff.

bad management no set schedules

they will change your schedule at any time to meet business needs. horrible micromanagement constant tech issues due to cheap equipment, avoid if possible.

Just know what you're getting into.

Pay is decent enough. Worked to death and bottom 5% of every dept gets fired every year (as a contractor, you cannot get fired like this, but they can just not hire you in the end). Everyone has a chip on their shoulder and upper management consists of some really terrible people. My direct managers knew nothing about technology and activley discouraged me from automating my job. I built a heck of a work ethic at Goldman, but I would never work there again.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Leadership needs to figure it out

When I first started working here, i loved the culture and the work itself. With new leadership, it has become a lot more difficult to do my work because of all the competing opinions from the top.

Pathetic experience

No transparency people are promoted based on who is managers favourite. They don’t appreciate the hard work you put in. They don’t care about the employee turn over rate and will pile work on you.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Stressed and toxic environment

Investment banking

Did pitch books and ensured they were done accurately. Had to run valuations for some of the bigger clients and keep management happy. A lot of work and opportunities but, easily can burnout.

Amazing workplace

Work with the smartest people in the room. Great pay. Great culture. Amazing benefits. Really understanding of individual needs. But remember to be competitive.

Intellectually rewarding and fast-paced work environment

Working at Goldman Sachs is extremely intellectually rewarding and presents tremendous learning opportunities, be it in the form of challenging analytical/business problems or collaborating with some of the best minds in the industry.

Pretty manageable wlb, but low pay

Tech is definitely in a lower tier relative to say Trading/Investment Banking. Overall the tech environment is pretty good but can never shake the feeling of being below bankers.

Hours can be extremely long. Help is not always given and upper management is not very concerned about work-life balance.Overall, would not recommend spending more than 2 years at Goldman

It's okay - it could be a lot better, but could also be worse.

Pros- Amazing, smart people that you will work with. - Overall solid benefits package.- Name value of firm valuable for exit opportunities.Cons- Management seemingly does not care about junior employees. Actions speak louder than words. - Culture can be toxic at times. Typical office politics. - Low morale around the office recently. - Pay is lower compared to competitors.- WLB is tough to maintain on a regular basis.Advice to ManagementListen to your employees. Culture is weak and morale is low due to decisions made in recent months from management. Implement WLB-friendly policies (Permanent Hybrid schedule - at least).

Dreadful management and leadership

I’m a lateral hire. So I don’t drink the kool aid. The worst management I’ve experienced in my career - they strip you of you engagement, motivation, enthusiasm. Shocking how employees are treated and demotivated. The asset management (public) is a sinking ship with huge turnover (they don’t seem to care). Avoid if you can. Oh and pay is pretty poor - the CIOS get a bonus envelope that literally doesn’t cover staffing numbers and performance.

Learn a lot

Place is okay, dealing with customers via phone and chat all day. Very competitive environment but senior leadership do care about you and even try to learn what they can do better.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Cut throat

Good employer for rapid growth

If you seek growth opportunities, Goldman can provide. Not a bad place to get some experience, and the brand name is good enough to get in the door of big tech/HFT. Offers lower compensation as compared to tech industry. Not mindful of timezone differences. Very poor developer experience. Office politics is unavoidable. Engineering is second class citizen compared to rest of firm. No real benefits/perks. Lack of PMs - half the job of engineers is to understand finance concepts from uncooperative finance users.

Pros

Projects can have good visibility, autonomy

Cons

Long hours, legacy tech stack, disparity in compensation, strict RTO, ban on trading stocks

Great Place to advance on a Finance-related path

Culture allows you to understand the overall picture of the financial market. Mentorship is a massive thing in GS and it becomes vital if you want to move laterally.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goldman Sachs. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Goldman Sachs with