JCPenney

JCPenney Employee Reviews

Showing all 23,361 reviews
I was as a cashier. I would like talk and help people and have a conversation with them. I am a social person and happy in my life.I had fun with my coworkers. I tried to do well my job as much as I could.
It served its purpose for the time being. good job to start out doing if you're in high school, need a part time job, or if you want to get some retail experience.
I would say that JCPenney is a good place to learn how to interact with other humans. I did not know what it meant to be on the other side until I was there. I got hired as a seasonal in 2019 and have been an associate ever since. Usually, my job includes recovering tables and racks as well as returning clothes to their proper spots in the form of go-backs and returns. As well I am cash register-trained and working at the register has taught me invaluable life lessons. Both how to treat others and how not to treat others. I am one to see the best in people and I know that everyone has a rough day from time to time, but that doesn't stop the need to treat people with kindness. I can honestly say that I have great respect for all of the management at my store. They do their utmost to go above and beyond to help customers and staff. I know that they are not afraid to have a good time as well as be stern when need be. There are many negative things I could say about my JCPenney location but I don't think it would be fair to those that have made it their livelihood.
Pros
Freedom to move between departments, Cross training, Customer Service Experience
Cons
Short Shifts, Customer Treatment
If you do not push yourself to go above they will hire from outside of the store. Goals are reasonable and the work is easy. It can get really hectic Durning the holidays so make sure you know how to move quickly and use critical thinking.Was this review helpful?
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work
Worst job in retail that I've ever had. I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to have a lasting retail career. I regret my decision to work there
Good place to start at to gain experience but other than that you will be overworked if you are a guy and be underpaid for the extra work you have to do. I started off as frontline cashier got moved to do home cashier, recovery team,and the truck team, and had no pay increase for the extra responsibility
Pros
Co-workers, flexible
Cons
Pay, hours can be low
The hardworking employees are not appreciated. Management is very disrespectful. They only respect the older associates. The older associates can be very rude towards you when asking for help. Instead of guiding you, they bash you for doing wrong.
It was a great company when I joined in 2010 but slowly the technology leadership transitioned and many new folks from Target background who changed the entire IT culture. I don't recommend this company to anyone anymore if they are joining IT team. No care for employees, no respect and path for growth. It's all full of favoritism.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Culture, Employees are left on their own, No growth path, favoritism among leadership
The hours were ideal; 6:30 am to 2:30 am Monday-Friday. My co-workers had been there for many years and they were VERY cliquey. It was really hard to fit in there, and it felt like they didn't want anyone else in their inner circle. That doesn't really bother me, but it was uncomfortable most of the time. It is a very physical job that mainly consisted of unpacking pallets of merchandise (mostly apparel); sizing it and hanging it on racks or folding it on shelves to be put out into the store. My back was usually in spasms about an hour into the shift every day. That is not Penney's fault though! I was 50 when I started the job and I thought I had more stamina than that but it turned out to be too much for me. If I were younger, I could have done it easily. They really should address the cliquey culture among the crew there, though. Many days I felt completely alone in a room full of people.
Pros
25% off discount card. Great hours.
Cons
Longtime employees make you feel left out. Very physical job, harder for an older person.
It was an excellent place to work. Overall, management was good, recognition of efforts and good was a lot. For colleagues having weak areas, training opportunities were provided. All workers/colleagues enjoyed an excursion trip planned and fully funded the company.
Pros
Occasionally, there were lunches by the company. Excursion trips organized by the company.
Cons
Nome
This place is only good for anyone looking to work 10 hours a week for very little pay. Very easy job, but management is a joke. Constantly on employees about credit applications even though they can not even get them. Also has some of the rudest and worst customers compared to any other department store.
Pros
Easy, flexible schedules
Cons
Pay, dealing with customers and management
Yup, nice place to work. I would suggest to work here if you’re younger and want some extra money you know what I’m talking aboutttt lol but yea it’s cool
Pros
Clothes
Cons
People
Fue buena la experiencia adquirida pero no lo recomiendo debido a que no hay oportunidad de crecimiento laboral.
Pros
JC Penney es una compañía reconocida a nivel mundial
Cons
Pocas horas de trabajo
The job was easy enough but most upper management will continuously be hounding you to meet the credit card quotas. Tried to advance in the company and while the management team in the store were supportive, beyond that was dismal. If you're just looking for a temporary or seasonal job then this can be great for you.
Pros
Flexible with schedule
Cons
No room for advancement
I was only there for a temporary holiday job. My time there I learned a lot about customer service, and quickly learned in other departments..management was so weird and uptight and one laughed in my face when another asked me to pick orders in the customer service department, she said “oh you know how to do that?” While laughing with the other as if I were stupid. Store manager got into it with salon manager and both got fired, so sad actually but Yeah just my experience there though. Either way wouldn’t recommend working there for that pay and all that work. I was even making 25cents more than one of my bosses.. that was crazy!
Pros
Discounts, holiday pay and hours
Cons
Management and pay rate
very nice I LIKE IT! I honestly think the customs would be and do better as in emotion and wearing masks. I carry myself very well and the people around should do that as well.
Pros
Lunch on the time
Cons
Many People
I would recommend JC pennies as a good place to work for students., Housewives, and professional people. The best way to get ahead is to do the best at your job that you can do.
Pros
Pros are good hours, good teamwork and good benefits
Cons
Cons are that you have to work weekends and some evenings.
It was a really good first job as a teenager. Our manager did her job really well and treated everyone in the store fairly. As long as you did your job and showed up on time there were no problems or stress at all.
Managers don’t care about you. All they do is sit on their butts. They don’t like to help and if they do, they’ll do it with attitude. Toxic environment, I’m glad to be out of there. You are expected to go above and beyond and for what? A shoutout on the walkie talkie? No thanks.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Managers, favoritism, pay
When I was hired I was told I would be a full time merchandising associate then during Onboarding they switched to me being a temporary associate(which was never brought up??? Later after receiving my first paystub it shows that I am a cashier. Also, the pay is low compared to the work that is being done and how the schedule just flips around.
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Low pay, no set scheduling, almost everything
Customers always come off as rude and very blunt. They also have no regard for the clothes and just toss them around and make a mess of the store. Was also always working morning shifts when I specifically said I was not available for the morning. Managers were amazing though, and helped me get through the day with their optimism.
  1. Employee Reviews