JCPenney
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Cashier/Sales

Ever since I started working here, the management have always been kind and understanding. My training from my first few months here gave me experience to do really good at my job. All the coworkers are friendly and easy to get along with. I’ve learned so far that providing the customers helpful customer service is what makes them appreciate you for what you do. The one thing that I have not appreciated from working here is the company’s minimum wage and small annual raises.
Pros
Associate Discount, Friendly Coworkers, Flexible Hours
Cons
Still paid minimum wage, Raises not often
Overall, JCPenney was not a bad place to work at. I gain experience with Customer Service, cash handling(As a cashier), met cool co-workers, and had good managers. The only thing is that depending on the customers you get to interact with, will make your experience better or worst.
Pros
Gain more Customer experience
Cons
Experience may vary depending on customers
Great retail experience, works schedules with students, only smart and quality customer friendly crew hired. Great management team! Great employees' discount 25%! Just would like some full-time positions open for sales associate.
The JC Penny location that I worked out of was going through hiring a new store manager and the store was going through. I would work several different departments through out the store every shift, the dressing rooms were always a disaster because associates wouldn't have been in there in days and managers would say different things so shift instructions and goals would be confusing
It's a great place to get started at or to just have a part-time at, other than that if you are looking for a job to maintain a family or just yourself it would be tough with the pay.
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay
Working here was okay for my first job. I worked seasonal. However, I am missing two paychecks and/or never received those paychecks and payroll was very unhelpful. I was only able to obtain $1.24 and that was a result of an error on their end where they said I never checked in when I know I did. When I finally obtained a debit card for my money to go to, they said I couldn't add it in because the seasonal had ended. Again, I contacted payroll and they were very unhelpful. I would have rated higher if none of this ever happened.
management was the worse, they didn’t care about their employees. very little hours. only good thing about this job was my coworkers and the customers.
Coworkers were friendly but always had a trick up their sleeves. They closed down the store without any real warning to the employees. Very laid back.
The employees are nice and some are hard working. However the managers are very rude and if your doing a great job they will over work you and have you do other people's job if they are slacking. Also you only get a 20 cent raise yearly no matter how good you are at the job or how many people you get to sign up for the card.
Pros
Cool employees and discounts
Cons
Management and low raise
The central manager always stays in her office and is never out on the floor and the assistant managers do the majority of the work on the floor that the manager should be doing. Some of the sales associates talk bad about other associates behind their backs for no reason. Some associates are forced to work in sections such as jewelry or curtains/mattresses with no training and don’t receive the training necessary.
Cons
Poor management
I would say this is a good part-time position to earn an extra income. However, this job is mostly geared towards high school students and retired employees. I would not recommend working here as a full-time employee. Compensation is low, with little to no career advancement. Management is not great. And the scheduling although it is retail, is not flexible nor, worth it. There are constant last minute changes to schedules and the pay is not worth it with the amount of hours you are scheduled in a week.
I highly suggest working at JCPENNYs. I love everyone I work with because they are all so nice. They make sure you are comfortable before putting you out on the floor by yourself. I usually am in the women’s department and I just fold clothes, check the fitting room, put the clothes away that were in the fitting room, and work the register.
The JcPenny store in San Angelo, Tx is unfortunately lacking. Most importantly with management. Very hostile and condescending management team, little/no advancement opportunity and inconsistent hours. I transferred departments and was shown very poor treatment throughout the store.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
It is a great job if you have kids in sports or extracurricular activities because you can kind of work around their schedule to make it fit. The part that's hard is there's really no option for full-time work. I love my job at JCPenney's just wish that I could get full-time employment through them
The workplace was like High school everyone had their clicks and some of the people were mean and judging. The workers didn't help the new workers. The people who work on the floor didn't want to take the customers. The management was all over the place would get mad when the new workers would ask for help.
Pros
no free lunches
Cons
short breaks
They would decorate for the Holiday's and dressed up too. There would be a special coupons on Black Friday's that was limited and where placed into gift bags that were given to the customer's.
Working for JCPenney was a great experience. To meet & learn different aspects of life aspects! Leaning different traits of things. Making sure my Costumers is sastify & happy at all times.... Helping them at in level they need cleaning keep the store neat & clean....
Cons
If you don't sell enough credit cards they cut your hours. They won't fire you, or lay you off, just give you one day a month till you quit. Their busy season is the holidays and after that they start cutting your hours no matter how long you've been there. There are no new customers since the company is closing down so it's impossible to hit goals unless you are shady about it.
Pros
lots of dress down days and parties.
Cons
no hour security
I loved working at JC Penny’s, and I would work there again. I worked there twice, and both times were a positive experience. Though I had to relocate, I recommend JC Penny’s as a work environment for the right match of professional employees.
Pros
Relaxed, professional atmosphere where honesty and integrity for customer satisfaction was taken seriously.
Cons
I don’t know.
Since Jcpenney was my first job I didn’t really know what to expect but I really liked how they respected your hours/availability, the only part I didn’t like was the changed in pay rate after the holidays.
I loved working here! They always gave me good hours. All the employees were kind and hardworking and respectful of our good manager. We worked as a team. It was rewarding, fun interacting with customers, and nice atmosphere!
Pros
Nice co workers and boss
Cons
On feet a lot