JCPenney
Coronavirus update
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews

Showing all 22,938 reviews
I was as a cashier. I would like talk and help people and have a conversation with them. I am a social person and happy in my life.

I had fun with my coworkers. I tried to do well my job as much as I could.
My first shift was on black friday, 2007. Most of the employees that I worked with were fine, albeit there were some that thrived on gossiping about other employees. Management typically called out mistakes that were made but avoided any positive comments concerning employees. One manager (grandmother aged) in particular liked to talk about me to my underage coworker. There was one manager whom I loved to work with but that didn't happen often. I was happy to get out of there.
Pros
One amazing manager that we needed more of
Cons
Everyone and everything else
Very unorganized workplace. High turnover rate because employees get fed up with the way things are managed. The store is always a mess because you have managers pointing you in multiple different directions to do different things and you never get anything done. One manager (I believe it was the customer relations manager) was always rude. Snapped at me on my first week of working there in front of 2 customers I was trying to help. I was still learning where everything was and all I did was ask where the price scanner was located. The same manager also picked up the phone when I had to call in sick and immediately hung up on me when I explained that I was under the weather.
The rest of the managers were very kind, just completely unorganized and never on the same page as everyone else.
Pros
Nice break room
Cons
Unorganized, bad pay
They do not respect anyone and maneger and supervisors always buss you and always you see them on floor to buss another employee, they never respect you in front of customer and they will fire you soon of work if you have more than two complain.
Pros
25% discount for employee
Cons
Less paid with low hours
The biggest problem is support from above. Their is usually little direction excepting when something is done wrong. Store management makes a lot of hollow promises to keep people working for them without ever following through.
Great management, understanding management, helpful associates, hard working, all work together as a team, management shows appreciation, all associates are responsible.
always being told that your doing something wrong being over looked and judged, really wish there would have been more understanding. but there was some good times.
The best thing is the customers also loved working with the clothes always enjoyed letting customers know when we got new merchandise The problems I had was your hours may be cut at any time
Pros
Loving the customers
Cons
Pay
The bad part of being a salon manager is that during a time when the entire country was going thru a financial depression the company still expected you to pull a rabbit out of your hat and make customers come in to get their hair done without running specials to help bring them in. The store security constantly try’s to catch you doing anything they can make into a violation. So many things going on in the store that make it a hard environment for employees who aren’t management. I don’t recommend this company as a good place to work.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Higher up will order your job terminated and the store will have to make up a reason to fire you.
Horrible management who picked favorites, management itself was very rocky because most of the managers are new. Fun coworkers. The managers and company really only care about credit and if you get applications you instantly matter. If not you are threatened to have your hours cut.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
unprofessional environment
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at JCPenney?
Coming in it was a friendly work environment with great work flows, upper management was poor at replacing the new managers and the work environment plumitted and caused most of my co-workers and myself to seek new employment abruptly. Although the old managers were friendly and fair there were a few employees that were able to cheat management too many times causing work flow issues
Pros
Old managers, co workers, custumers
Cons
Upper management, hr, new managers, old employees
I absolutely loved working here. They treated both the customers and employees very well. They gave good Benefits as well but they did not pay enough sadly
Working here sucks! My gm is one of the worst I’ve had in my entire life and one of the fakest people I’ve ever met. They don’t care about associates or the fact that we have lives outside of work, they just care about making sales and convincing poor people to apply for credit cards. They’re so short on budget that they never schedule enough people so everyone ends up doing the job of multiple and getting screamed at by customers because there’s not enough of us to properly help them. One manager stands out above the rest as a real advocate for the regular associates, but one out of 10+ is terrible stats. When I first started I though the place was great but really as the years have gone on my eyes are opened to the real hidden stuff that goes down. There are so many better businesses and retail establishments. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!
Pros
Associate discount is high up to 25% + coupons
Cons
Short breaks, bad management, short hours, low staffing
With this being my first job I quickly got excited to be one of Jcpennys employees but I started receiving pay and felt like I was work harder to be getting paid what I was getting
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Pay
I enjoy working for JCPenney’s because of the great teamwork and we have always had team meetings we always have got each other great management great team leaves everyone was wonderful I love JC pennies the supervisors and managers were great
Pros
Great company
Cons
Bankruptcy is immenent. This is the most disorganized and operationally inefficient company I have ever worked for. Culture and morale are very poor. Very sad because this company used to be great but has completely lost its identity.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job security
This company expects you to do your job and others with impossible task. Which tends to leave you stressed. You will not get rewarded even if you go far and beyond. Management is disorganized and lacks leadership skills. You can not trust upper management with issues nothing will get resolved and and everything said gets traveled through out the company. You don’t get the pay you deserve or the help from employees. It is a one man circus. The benefits are little to none.
Pros
You will stay busy.
Cons
No breaks, healthcare
There are many outdated and inefficient processes that waste time. The company has been stuck in time and hasn’t streamlined merchandising and pricing strategies, so a lot of time is lost spent on unproductive activities. This all makes doing daily operational tasks difficult. But, despite all this, the management and associates are generally all supportive and fun to work with.
Pros
Great coworkers and management
Cons
Many operational inefficiencies that make meeting goals difficult
It was good job paid well and the benefits were great! The employees there were super nice and friendly management was great and it was all around a great job! Only thing I didn’t like was I was having a high risk emergency and I was told I still had to work even though I wasn’t physically able to.
Pros
Management, benefits, staff, security
Cons
Not getting emergency time off.
This place wasnt bad i had a good time working there. The issue was that i have only claimed to work part time and during the week of Thanksgiving and Black Friday they made me work all week 5-8 shifts while still going to high school.
feels like a family. Fun workplace. Good experience. Fast pace. They take the time to train you. You can move up in the career. They're understanding.
7.2K