JCPenney
Coronavirus update
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews

Found 23,014 reviews matching the search
I was as a cashier. I would like talk and help people and have a conversation with them. I am a social person and happy in my life.

I had fun with my coworkers. I tried to do well my job as much as I could.
I stuck around for 5 years mainly because I was scared of leaving and not being able to find another job with the flexible hours that they allowed me to have. I loved what I did working in the early mornings, merchandising and doing sign changes. Sadly there wasn't enough people on our department to be efficient so we were always rushing and rarely got any new hires in our department.
Everyone was friendly, the managers will always watch over their employees. Great experience working with jcpenney, wish I had stayed on a little longer.
Pros
Friendly & diverse
Cons
They don’t let you take your breaks, and at the end it’s coming out of your pocket
It was 25 years ago and was a manager for 23 years. My learning skills buying ability at the time and going to market gave me the freedom to add to a resort environment. This has all changed today.

Their training was good and emphasis on customer satisfaction were good at the time. Opened two new stores.
Pros
Training, merch selection
Cons
Language barrier, later management
loved this job! Learned a lot, offered a lit of training and opportunities to advance. Revenue expectations usually unrealistic. Not confident in the financial stability of the company.
Pros
experience, work life balance, training
Cons
pay
A company that lived and rested too long on its past laurels and has finally doomed (gone bankrupt). Covid is only a catalyst, THE ROT has been there always and is STILL THERE (in Corporate office) even after the 1000 layoffs. Because of 1-sided feedback from those very incompetent leaders the baby (hardworking employees with a vision and real energy) was thrown with the bathwater in these layoffs while the REAL SCUM (those leaders and their boot-licking accomplice) is still in the tub sitting pretty and stinking.

Organizational chaos with no working processes. Self-centered, shallow and incompetent dept. leaders. Full of dirty office politics. Incompetence and inertia is rewarded as long as you tow the line with the leader. The golden rule "Treat others as you wish to be treated." is not applied to the employees by the leaders who are so incompetent, self-centered, shallow and full of BS (which they hide behind their glib talk and they think no body notices...huh!). They show clear favoritism that even a blind man cant miss.

Not a place for you if you like to just focus on your work sincerely and expect some recognition form your manager. Be prepared to be stressed to a point of break-down. Nobody cares even if you raise a concern. BUT If you want to learn office politics, this is the place for you to get your Politics 101 lessons from your own leader.

Honest Advice to the CEO: Drain the Swamp NOW! or you'll never recover from this. Start from the Top!
Pros
Decent Compensation. Some good people at lower level to work with.
Cons
Dirty politics, incompetence and inertia is rewarded as long as you tow the line of the incompetent leader.
Was a job to get me started in life could have better sales training
I had this job while I was figuring out what I wanted to do with my life not a bad gig to have but everything is online now so who knows what the future holds
Management is tough to deal with at times
Environment is easy going love the different customer interactions love the retail environment the different daily routine
A typical day at work would be a lot of standing and a ton of work for just one person. Rude managers that expect you to always have a good day. Managers would sometimes be late and not on time.
Pros
Work in the mall
Cons
short breaks, couldn't leave for lunch unless your shift was 8 hours or more, etc
The General manager in the Wilmington store/prices corner is a person you would never want to work for. Stay away. She makes the whole environment feel like she is in charge and you are just a peon. She does not care about the well being of her employees at all.
Pros
Cons
stay away
God job I really loved my job the customers loved me I always solved the problem to a question I was good at what I did. And I can do more for your company.
Salon manager, recruiting was a must, good commission, hours were sometimes long but flexible. Did not enjoy working holidays or late nights. Good leadership
When you work as a rep for JCP, you have very little in the way of accessibility to information. The intranet is poorly organized and, more often than not, you'll have to ask for help and, little by little, learn the ins-and-outs by trial-and-error.
Aside from a handful of long-term employees, the management is constantly being cycled through different departments/replaced, so it's hard to pin down someone who knows what's going on.

Most of the call center jobs were sent to other countries, so people working at the US call center act as support staff for foreigners, many of whom don't have to answer to protocol, so you end up with upset/confused customer who get dumped into your phone line.

If none of that sounds bad enough, their work scheduling department seems to fall asleep at the wheel on a regular basis, making you have to constantly check to make sure they didn't accidentally fire you due to their own negligence in entering information.
Pros
Pay is decent. That's about it.
Cons
Management is unhelpful. Most of the time, you have to go through several people to get anything done.
It’s a great place to work, the environment is very friendly and the the schedule is very flexible with days that you can work and cant work. The managers are great.
It's a good place to work, although everybody is a little anxious about the future of the company. With the company in bankruptcy, the future of some stores and distribution centers are uncertain.
Pros
Good team of people to work with.
Cons
Uncertain future of the company.
Jcpenney is a great company to work for! Had a wonderful 8 years there! In the salon business?? Look no further! There's insurance and retirement/savings pptiosn!
Nice place to work. Great team that helps to put you in a place to succeed. Competitive pay scale based on your experience and capabilities. Career builder.
No place to go in this dire straits of uncertainty. Bankrupt and stocks are in the toilet. No place to go in retail so I guess I’ll hang around until they lock the doors.
Pros
Cons
Declining stocks, terrible future
I've enjoyed working with all the people I have come across at JCP. My hours were 8:00-5:00, Monday through Friday with no overtime. Management is good, but it's the people that make this a great place to work.
My store manager was such a Joy to work for.
My department manager was knowledgeable and taught me to succeed and was always caring and positive.

When my management position opened and I was thrilled. All the staff helped me learn my new responsibilities.

Everything was perfect until my department was eliminated

No more catalog department.

Pros
Security
Cons
It ended
I worked as a merchandise assistant for a few year and was promoted to men’s supervisor. After a year I was transferred to the Fresno JCPenney as a manager.
Pros
Good team chemistry
Cons
Work life balance
7.2K