JCPenney
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

JCPenney Employee Reviews

Found 23,014 reviews matching the search
I was as a cashier. I would like talk and help people and have a conversation with them. I am a social person and happy in my life.

I had fun with my coworkers. I tried to do well my job as much as I could.
I work at the JCPenney in Ashtabula Ohio and unfortunately the corporation has decided to close this location. My experience there has been a great one from having an amazing team to work with to an amazing and understanding general manager. Honestly feels like working with family and I'm going to miss it.
As a current college student it was important that my employer offered flexible working hours for me. Jcpenney offered a fun and productive environment to work in.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
I worked at the returns desk. I had a caring manager who trained me well. Most of the customer's were nice to deal with. As it was retail the pay was low and the hours erratic.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Low pay, erratic hours
A typical day working at JCPenny's was mainly running the clothes back the floor within the dressing rooms, and helping the customers. The management was fun and out going. Each manager had their own personality and expressed it in their own way. Working there was a great way for everyone to express themselves any way they can.
Pros
Getting free food and doughnuts in the morning
Cons
Not getting help when needed
Working as a receptionist at the salon in JCPenney was a new experience and a somewhat good but rocky one. In the beginning, there were young stylists who would pick and choose what they wanted to do if there was a walk-in client. It was difficult because other experienced stylists would also not want to take walk ins because they either worked a long day or they did not think the work load was fair.
I love working at Penneys and have managed to move up in my seven years here. However I was passed up for a promotion without a good explanation as to why seeing as I was making all the required metrics etc. which was disappointing, and now that our store is going out of business I'm also being excluded from the severance package because my average week in 2019 was an hour below the requirement which makes me feel as if I wasted my time with the company.
When I worked there as a sales associate I made 8.50 and that was a big deal supposedly.
They are always on you about credit applications and customers get frustrated with being asked.

There's not good work ethic among most of the employees.
Pros
Interactions with customers
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, bad management, requires credit quota
They would often schedule me minutes after i got home from school until 12 and even 1 in the morning sometimes. (i was working as a holiday employee)
Pros
pay well and discounts are offerd.
Cons
you can’t wear comfortable shoes they have to be dress shoes.
Working at JCPenny I always had something to do there never was really a moment where I was just sitting around . If I wasn’t ringing someone up then I made sure to start putting away items that customers may not have wanted . A lot of times I keep myself busy because it just helps my day go by faster and sitting around just wasn’t a option for me .
Pros
The environment and people
Cons
Short breaks
The good thing that you have coming out of the retail job with JcPenney is that you gain enough experience but the compensation wasn’t great but overall it was a good experience
My work life balance was a 3/5 because I was the schedule wasn't a normal work schedule but that's because it was retail. Sometimes I'd get home really late because the busses at night were so scarce but I'd have to be at work early the next day.
Pros
Sometimes provided free meals for employees and gave 15% discounts.
Cons
30 minute breaks for 6 hour shifts. Should be at least 45 minutes.
I worked for JCPenney for 20+ years and retired I loved my job and was always learning something new. Advancement to management you need a degree to become one. I had a great job with them no nights or weekends but i believe they dissolved that position.
Pros
I worked the sets in the store it was fun
Cons
its retail good place to start but you do need a degree to advance
They are an excellent company to work for. I have truly enjoyed all my 27 years working for the company. I needed to make a change because of all the standing I did or I would not have taken a early retirement with them. I am looking forward to a chance to make a change with someone else like I did all those years working for them A typical day would be opening cash registers displaying the locked cases and all I aspects of handling customers. I learned so much about customer service and tons about jewelry. The part that is getting hard for me is standing all day
Pros
The people I work with and the cimpany
Cons
I need a job where I preferably can sit now because my knee is getting swollen standing
La tienda estaba llena de polvo, necesitan pasar el vacuum más seguido.
También estaba muy llena de ropa. Con menos sería mejor.

Las promociones de compra por internet : para recibir descuento confunden
When I was working in JCPenney. I was so happy and excited because I never work in JCPenney before in my life.
JCPenney have wonderful supervisors and line leader. And workers are goods.
I can't complain, schedules are flexible, breaks are okay. Discounts, however, were perfect, with coupons that they posts for the public plus my associated discount I could save up to 50% of my purchases, in black friday season we even got more discounts
I enjoyed working at JCPenneys because it was a comfortable environment and I enjoyed the staff. The management team was very hard working and made sure we all got the job done but we also had a good time at work.
They have a cap for all Department managers, lots of duties with low pay. No opportunities to move up unless you suck it up for your manager. Demand your life with nothing to show for it.....
Cons
The work environment is all around fun and upbeat along with a professional casual work life, management is constantly disappearing and never around when you need them
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Bad management
I enjoyed working here, staff and co-workers are nice and I get the help from them when needed. Breaks are short but other than that it is a great place to work.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Short breaks
7.2K