JCPenney
Coronavirus update
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews in Akron, OH

Akron, OH42 reviews
There were a lot of people at Jcpenny’s who were very honest with me at the work experience and I’m very grateful for them, but also some people were very rude.
The face pace and work environment is what stood out to me THE MOST! This is a very dedicated company.. My experience with this company gave me great work ethic skills and more ways to achieve goals in a timely manner.
JCPenneys was a fun place to work. Everyone was nice there and the managers were good. I would recommend JCPenney if you are looking for a slow and enjoyable job
Pros
25% off
Cons
Bad scheduling
Come in on time when scheduled. Get told by manager in what to do exactly for the day. Sometimes out of the day I get pulled out of my task and get told to do some other task but most of the time I'm doing one simple task that takes me the whole day and sometimes doesn't get finished until the next day just because of how much stuff there is that needs to be done and how long my shift is. All and all it's not bad besides poor management at times but I come in prepared and do my work correctly and efficiently.
I had two store managers over about 7 years. The first one was amazing. I learned so much from him. I maintain that relationship to this day. Tough but fair. The second manager was one of the worst managers I have ever worked for in any company. In 31 years, I have never ever quit a job, except one. This second manager was intollerable to work for.
JCPenney is a wonderful place to work! Management could use a little work, but every other aspect is positive and run phenomenally. Very accommodating to employee needs and willing to work at your pace when learning new skills on the job.
Everyday i would go to work and it was always a minimum of 20 people that came in the store daily. Management been there for over 20+ years and was not planning on retirement, so it was never a place where you could advance.
The staff is supportive to other staff members, and I didn't notice any competition between anyone. Very positive atmosphere. Very clean, and organized.
Job is boring at times, not enough hours and job schedules change too much. They've called me a couple times just to tell me I don't have to work and I actually want to work so their hours are not good, plus they make you stay after without overtime.
I worked here part time while going to college. It paid the bills. I really liked my particular store. The managers were all great and they gave me the opportunity to help them out as a manager myself. You can get really awesome discounts as an employee. As a part time worker, you don't get all the fun benefits, but you can still do a 401K and all the basic stuff, just not the PTO. Working holidays wasn't fun, but Christmas and Easter the store was closed. If you are the closing shift, do not expect to leave right when the store closes. We had to stay and clean/straighten the entire store. Some nights we were there until 1am cleaning. (that's only in extremely busy days when the store isn't staffed properly because of call offs or no shows. Usually we were there at least an hour after closing time) It can make for a long day on your feet. Probably one of the worst parts of the jobs, and cleaning out the fitting rooms that got trashed. Great networking opportunities, management was always willing to try and get me a better place in corporate. but I couldn't move there at the time. Competitive with credit card applications.
Pros
discounts, management, deals, made friends
Cons
closing, hours, exhausting
it was a good job, it taught me a lot and i loved the associate discount. But they expected a lot from you from time to time. and even though i worked there for 5 years i was never eligible for vacation or maternity leave.
Pros
25% associate discount
The job was fun and could be stressful at times, but then retails is known for such. I loved working there and enjoyed working with my co-workers. I would do it again.
Pros
busy, organized, great customers
Cons
minimum wage
long hours on school nights. we would close at 9:00 oclcok but we wouldn't leave until almost 10:30 11:00 regardless if its exam week or if we have to wake up at 6:00 the next day.
I'd work there again but in a different position. Friendly management. Easy going work place. Customers only sucked now and then (meaning they would get rude over something that was their fault, ex. Past return policy time).
Pros
Catered lunches sometimes
Cons
Pay
Getting down in the retail trenches isn't for the faint of heart. It's always tiring, frequently tedious, and occasionally frustrating. But those negatives are more than compensated for at a place like JC Penney by the fascinating and ever-changing challenges presented. And the co-workers in such a work environment are overwhelmingly good folks, supportive and kind.
Great Place To Work! I enjoy the sincere appreciation I receive from not only my boss, but also the people I work with. A heartfelt “thanks” goes a long way to improving my attitude and productivity.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Shory Breaks
My job titles consisted of me:
cashing out customers

Fold clothes

Online orders

Cover breaks

Helping customers find whatever it was they were looking for over entire store.
Great environment, everyone worked together well. Manager was outstanding! Felt like a family there.

Training was good - learned a lot about customer service.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not enough hours - full-time was not an option, always worked on holidays and weekends.
While working here I folded clothes, put up merchandise and was occasionally on the register. However, I am a college student who needs a flexible work schedule because education is first. In light of this situation, staff and the corporation thinks that my education does not matter because they were inconsiderate of how they scheduled people within the workplace.However, I did like the employee discounts and some of the staff were pretty nice.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
scheduling and inconsideration of transporation
Meet a lot of people in all different walks of life. After the grand opening, I was a cashier / customer service representative for the shoe department, I received a new job.
Typical Work Day: 8 sittings spaced apart, you are expected to go find more sittings throughout JC Penney
What I Learned: Photography Skills

Management: Flighty

Co-Workers: Good-hearted

Hardest Part: Dealing with toddlers

Best Part: Parents being grateful for your time, energy, and fantastic work
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Inconsistent Hours
7.2K