JCPenney

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Assistant Manager

I like the company but its choice of a general manager for its stores should be done based on how they work and work experience. Has great benefits if you are hired on full time.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
sometimes management is not there to help when you need them.
I work at the JCPenney in Ashtabula Ohio and unfortunately the corporation has decided to close this location. My experience there has been a great one from having an amazing team to work with to an amazing and understanding general manager. Honestly feels like working with family and I'm going to miss it.
This company expects you to do your job and others with impossible task. Which tends to leave you stressed. You will not get rewarded even if you go far and beyond. Management is disorganized and lacks leadership skills. You can not trust upper management with issues nothing will get resolved and and everything said gets traveled through out the company. You don’t get the pay you deserve or the help from employees. It is a one man circus. The benefits are little to none.
Pros
You will stay busy.
Cons
No breaks, healthcare
Lots of room to grow within the company if that is your desire. If you do not want to seek a career within the company, it is a good place to work while going to school.
Working in Sephora inside of JCP started out really nicely and I enjoyed it. However they continuously picked the wrong managers for the department and it just destroyed the place. Everything they would say and do always felt like it wasn't the entire truth. The manager was always full of criticisms, which is typically fine, they're needed, but she literally never had a single positive thing to say. It just took the entire atmosphere of the store to such a negative and sad place. I'm not surprised they're going out of business. Stick to regular Sephora's if you want an actual educated experience and/or work environment.
Poor company doom to fail. Do not w aste your time or energy . Stock price is under 1.00 closing stores. Has a lot of debt to pay off. Managers do care about employees
Jcpenney is great to its associates with training, advancement, and scheduling. The store managers and district managers are extremely helpful. I recommend jcpenney to everyone.
My experience was good I got the job it is a very hard stressful job but I love the challenges that it gives me I hope to be a employee for a very very long time
The people I worked with were great. The company loves to promote within so it gives you great advancement chances. Fun to work for. Gave us every other weekend off. Money is ok.
surviving the stressful challenge of the need for strong in person customer assistance expected by the customers in an environment that cant afford the resources due to on line sales shifts.
i work hard and push credit to make goal or more , also do more then whats expected and im still getting paid unfairly . ive been there going on 3 years now and still getting 10.75 . Ive gotton paid more for doing much less as customer service or att. manager .
Pros
its a great place to work at and i love it there
Cons
some times the people running the floor should nt
I have been with JCP for 14 years and love it! It’s a great company to start out with for your first job. Flexible hours. Work life balance is great. Great company to work for.
JC Penney is huge on creating a great environment for customers. They strive to bring in new customers, as much as keeping the ones they have. You're required to greet EVERY customer, and offer assistance. I believe that's a great quality to find within retail. Unfortunately not every store has that atmosphere. You are rewarded for hard work. The managers take the time to call you out on a great job, and that's not something I had ever encountered before. Hours depend on performance and availability. So if you are performing poorly, your hours will get cut. Most of the positions are part time, and that's posed a problem with myself.
Pros
Great work environment, Rewarded for a good job, Opportunity for advancement, Competitive pay
Cons
Mostly part time positions, Hours being limited
This company is a good part time jobs for high school students. But if you need a full time job and better pay then this job isn't for you. They are super flexible with hours. They are really bad at training, I had to learn everything on my own with very little help from my co workers
Pros
tv in break room
Cons
no full time, low pay, bad at training
Good place to start working. Let’s their associates grow in customer service and teaches employees how to grow to become a better worker in any retail stores
Pros
Good managers
Cons
Short breaks
Like any other company, this one definitely has its flaws. Unfortunately JCPenney just isn't the place you're going to grow with and I say that because there is no job security there.
Corporate expects you to have things planned 3 weeks in advance without giving you the proper tools to do so. And then they change things at the last minute- almost every time. No work/life balance. Pay was a living wage
Pros
Pay was a living wage
Cons
Not given proper tools to succeed
Good job when you're starting out. It helps build your customer service knowledge, and management experience. Pay is average, but the work culture is good.
Pros
Great for learning
Cons
Pay
Assistant Manager, stock, reviving, send product, cashier, deposit , pack and more more dont have any more to said about Jcpenny.. you can contact teen
Pros: - Moderately good compensation and benefits. Liveable wage (for management at least) and the benefits were acceptable. - Employee discount is generous. 25% if you pay cash and 15% for other methods of payment, which is really good when compared to other retailers. - There were a lot of very sweet customers. Yes, we did get a LOT of bad apples that came in to our store, but I never had a day where I didn't have a positive customer interaction. Cons: - Poor management. The management strategy was laughable. No one seemed to know what was going on in the store. You're largely left to deal with problems on your own with no guidance and are reprimanded when you make mistakes (when you were given no instruction on the task to begin with.) For example, we would hire cashiers and give NO training on how to use the register. Absolutely none. Associates were expected to "figure it out" and were looked down upon and gossiped about when they asked for more help. - Poor company culture. On the outside, JCP presents itself as a company built on team work and collaboration. In reality, this is a dog eat dog company. I was told by a long-time employee at my store that you HAVE to throw people under the bus to survive in this company. I was appalled. I watched this culture bred low morale, low productivity, and complacency for the store's well being. Hard working and honest associates were regularly reprimanded and punished for things out of their control. There was a complete and utter lack of respect for anyone below the management team. There are a few good people - more...
Pros
okay benefits, Pto
The role of any salaried employee at JCPenney is challenging. Long hours, holidays, covering for business needs, and dealing with opportunities in the retail industry. Day to day challenges depend highly based on business mix and size of the store for the role assigned. I have been in multiple stores, each have felt like a family and have been easy to dedicate a large portion of my time to.
Pros
Good comp/ben packages for full time employees, training, and culture
Cons
Large cap company focused on razor thin expenses, high levels/frequency of change due to leadership and industry overhauls, and do more with less mentality a function of their position in the market.