JCPenney
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Cashier/Sales

Ever since I started working here, the management have always been kind and understanding. My training from my first few months here gave me experience to do really good at my job. All the coworkers are friendly and easy to get along with. I’ve learned so far that providing the customers helpful customer service is what makes them appreciate you for what you do. The one thing that I have not appreciated from working here is the company’s minimum wage and small annual raises.
Pros
Associate Discount, Friendly Coworkers, Flexible Hours
Cons
Still paid minimum wage, Raises not often
Fun working environment. Good leadership. The workers are friendly and helpful. Flexible schedule. Will work with you if you have other things going on.
I've been with jcp for over a year and it was my first retail job. It had plenty of ups and downs but, all in all, it was a great experience. Minimum wage was the deal breaker for me, but the flexibility, experience, and relationships built were worth the time.
Management had poor communication, unprofessional and rude behavior. Racial profilling made it uncomfortable to work in that environment. Huge turnover rate.
Fun to work here for your first job but after a while, the management got worse and they only pay minimum. The managers were super nice at first but then showed their true colors.
● Work-life balanceThey are flexible with student schedules.● ManagementDecent when it comes to successfully running a business, but could use some improvement.● OverallThe community is made up of great people that make the job environment fun and welcoming. I feel highly skilled and secure in my current position, but feel as if my fellow associates could be trying a little harder with their customer service.
I’ve worked here about a year now, and I stay because I love my coworkers and I want to get more cashier and sales experience. The customers can be vicious, but management will back you up. Holidays it’s always busy. The pay is basically minimum wage, and the company is going down a little. The worst part is the Credit Cards. You have to get credit cards daily, especially if you’re a cashier. Every 25 customers you need to sign up one for a card. Obviously it sounds easy in theory, but most people don’t want another credit card. You get $2 for everyone you sign up, which is some kind of commission, but you start to feel like a shark, preying on people who are easily manipulated into thinking they NEED a credit card.. all in all it’s not an awful job, but it’s retail. I get 20-30 hours a week and they work with my full time school schedule well.
Pros
Associate discount, competitions with prizes
Cons
Not many benefits, low pay, credit cards
● OverallI worked At JCPenney for over a year. April 2021 would’ve made two years. The job wasn’t hard at all , but the amount of tasks the managers would give were overbearing. I would run and entire floor by myself and have over 10 different duties in one shift. I feel as if the pay doesn’t amount up to the job and tasks I was assigned to.
It was a fun work environment meeting new people and even setting a client base was awesome. Some of the people I recognized on a weekly basis and they were good. The co-workers were very helpful at getting adjusted.
Pros
Sometimes Free lunches.
I loved my job there, but because of covid i never went back and i’ve tried contacting them.. i also didn’t like that i was getting paid less than other workers i have 2 kids and need a fair amount of income
Jcpenney is a good job for every high school student it was my first job and gave me a lot of experience within moving up for the company and within that also came a nice pay
Pros
Provides breaks
Cons
High expectations
Definitely not the best job I’ve ever had. That might be because I’m used to fast pace work. Please do not try and go to a retail job and you’re used to fast pace work your feet will hurt all the time and will spend most the time standing around doing nothing which will drive you crazy. The pay was OK for only working a five hour shift which is all they would let me work being a sales associate. The hours went by so slow. Some of my coworkers were very rude, And thought very highly of themselves. You ask for help and most of the time some people want to help you.But the main take away from this job I would say, is if you cannot Have at least Three or four customers sign up for a JCPenney’s credit card don’t expect to keep your job because they will terminate you in the first month Without even telling you.
Pros
Eh pay
Cons
Less than 30 hours a week, only one 15 minute break, & rude co-workers
Everyone was friendly, the managers will always watch over their employees. Great experience working with jcpenney, wish I had stayed on a little longer.
Pros
Friendly & diverse
Cons
They don’t let you take your breaks, and at the end it’s coming out of your pocket
Very welcoming , customer friendly , great attitude, great benefits, good discounts, great environment, very responsible, organized neatly, helpful hand
Pros
Beneficial, Associate Discount, Good Job Career
Cons
Preparing and restocking display
They do not respect anyone and maneger and supervisors always buss you and always you see them on floor to buss another employee, they never respect you in front of customer and they will fire you soon of work if you have more than two complain.
Pros
25% discount for employee
Cons
Less paid with low hours
Horrible management who picked favorites, management itself was very rocky because most of the managers are new. Fun coworkers. The managers and company really only care about credit and if you get applications you instantly matter. If not you are threatened to have your hours cut.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
unprofessional environment
Training practically on your own, managers act bothered when asked a question. Other than a few favorites management acknowledges, the rest are treated poorly.
Pros
Easy hiring process, good employee discount
Cons
Management not interested in helping the employee improve.
Do not put all your trust in this company. It's a mild stepping stone to help you get where your looking to go................ ........Strongly advised plotting on a better oppurtunity.
It’s a good place to work to gain experience. I worked part time so they scheduled me when I was available. Some of the employees could do better by doing the job they were hired for.
very demanding and hot with no A/C the mangers will switch everyday sum were nice and some were very rude and over the top about there job I really didn't like it once it got to the end of my assignment because it was around the holidays and everyone was stressed out about the business and how sales were going so it was a good experience in the beginning but at the end everything got ruff
I appreciated them hiring senior citizens, I really liked working for them over the holidays, I love their products, the Ann Arbor store was clean and well organized. Management and employees friendly and helpful. I really liked working with the customers , the bad thing about JCPENNEY is if you are hired as a cashier they put more emphasis on getting credit card applications than catering to the customers. They have 10 minutes meeting every morning and 8 out of the 10 min they talk about getting credit applications. I left because I thought I was hired for cashiering and customers assistance not to push credit card applications.
Pros
Great products, great employees and management.
Cons
Emphasizing and pushing credit card card applications