JCPenney
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Designer

They take back your commission when the installer tells the client to change the design. So it has to be reordered even though you spend HOURS with clients explaining designs and function. It all changes in one second with someone else getting paid salary and your commission is then owed back. Also they require you to wear black and a splash of red when less than 10% of the population looks good in black. And they do not provide uniforms, so you have to spend your measly pay on their clothes if they even fit in an attempt tontry to make JCP profitable.Ha!
The salon is in the back of the store and is hard to find. I thought there would be plenty of walk ins to build my clientele. Not nearly busy enough for the amount of stylists that are there Pay is not enough to live off of.
We all work together helping each other out we're like a family. The manager has an open-door policy very easy to talk to.. customers are always very kind and polite.
You don't have to be talented to get ahead at JCP, you just have to be in the right clique. The treatment I received there was inhumane, I never worked in such a horrible environment. I would not recommend anyone to work at this evil place. Management is a joke.
I'm certain there are others who have had a great experience. The stores are quickly becoming obsolete as millennials and others shop online for the products they carry
Pros
name recognition
Cons
lose of customer base
The only good thing about working there is the 25% discount in the store. Management is so ignorant and unprofessional. Was talked down to and humiliated by the manager of the whole store and the salon manager never stepped in to defend me. You don't get paid enough for all the bs you have to do there. I had to compete with 32 other stylists to get any walk ins and because of that and people booking my clients with other stylists I did not have good numbers for productivity so they fired me after telling me what a horrible person I am and how I can't even take care of my kids because I can't make enough money. People there were just two faced and it was a horrible experience for me!
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Everything else
The company is going down! The stock is trading at.50 cents per share. Is that a joke or what.. management is so subpar. My time at this job sucked the life out of me.
I worked in the corporate office in Plano, TX as a Designer. I was terminated for no reason (work at will, right?) I later discovered that all the lines I was working on were outsourced to the factory in India. They no longer needed me. Can't blame them but it was an overall negative experience. Almost everyone in management is a horrible person to work for. Backstabbing and throwing people under the bus left and right.
Pros
Onsite amenities: gym, food court
Cons
Toxic environment
Some areas need improvement, But with room for improvement gives associates a chance to find a solution that will benefit the team. Leaves room for discussion to consider all sides of the table. Learning what works and what does not. Understanding Differences is what makes a lasting impression, and makes a healthy work environment go round.
Most of the employees in the department work as part of the team assisting one another as needed. Most share commissions without complaint when both worked on an order.
Pros
Personnel are friendly
Cons
Schedule is not conducive to planning
Everyone there was very kind and helpful, they tried to bestow little tips and tricks to make the job go faster. The management was very helpful with flexible work hours.
Great opportunity to grow with the company. Great benefits and growth . Flexible hours are part of the job performance. Great company to work for....
This was a great place to begin my cosmetology career. They were really supportive of me being right out of school. They paired me with a mentor and helped me with clientele building techniques. It was awesome. Cons to working at Penney's was stocking shelves and down time. I didn't go to cosmetology school to do retail sales work. I just wanted to do hair and lots of it! JC Penney get the butts in the seats!
Pros
20% discount on merchandise even already discounted and sales items
Cons
Down times and stocking shelves
As long as you're applying yourself, the team is great! There's room for advancement. Our team got along pretty well and we enjoyed giving back to the community.
Pros
Monthly birthday celebrations and holiday celebrations.
Cons
The year wait for benefits is a drag but understandable.
JC Penney is a great work environment. The salons are beautiful, lots of space. appears ever: The pay is terrible for stylists coming right out of school. If you are an established stylist with clientele who will follow you, this would be more suited for you!
Pros
Experience with all types of hair
Cons
pay
JCPenney was an awesome place to work. They always had fun and everyone kinda knew each other. Different kinds of people hung out together and different work areas knew one another.
Pros
The people
Cons
Had to work weekends
Fast paced company always trying new things and new projects. Days are busy with a lot to learn in corporate retail process. New initiatives each day and season with opportunity to build new product launches.
This is the perfect place for a beginning hairstylist. It gives them the chance to know what it is like in a real salon environment and build clientele.
Pros
store discount
I am currently still employeed at JCPenney as a Designer Stylist. I am writing this review because I do not know what the future will hold but figured I’d share my input. I also started off as a receptionist before going to the salon floor. This company is incredibly cut - throat. People will fight to be number one, pocket tips and management especially LOVES to play favorites with employees - when you do management’s job you can do whatever you want here! Customers can be intense. Once you build a loyal clientele you will be fine. Fellow coworkers are mainly very supportive. Pay rate is awful for what you deal with on a daily basis. My advice to corporate - LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! WITHOUT THEM YOU HAVE NOTHING! When you are not careful, management will take advantage of you. They think they can pretty much replace anyone. I warn anyone who comes here - as much as you will fall in love with your clients and coworkers, the rules here make no sense and management is all power play.
Pros
Employee discount, great co-workers
Cons
Poor management, low pay
I find that the JCPenney in Oak Ridge has very little structure not the managers know what’s going on there is lack of communication between all the employees and it’s all a big joke I would never suggest working here
Pros
Not having to be accountable for anything
Cons
lack of accountability at that store
The entire staff was ghetto. Poor management. The entire store was ghetto. The customers were cheap and rude. No one had respect for others or themselves. Hair stylists are paid minimum wage of 7:25 an hour. The company Rob license professionals of their talent. They lie and tell you you'll get commission but you never do. Jc penny get all the profit the stylist get nothing. A lot of the stylist that work their have their own salon suite building/suite and use jc penny to build more client base for their business. Others are older retired stylists, teachers with a state cosmetology license and beginning license stylists.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Ghetto, immature, unclean, and dangerous place to work.