JCPenney

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Merchandise Manager

Management was terrible. After the original GM retired it was all down hill from there. Add to that the changing of the CEO multiple times was disastrous .
JCP is a dying brand that does not accomodate properly for associates or management. Half the machines break on a daily basis, Corporate doesn't allocate hours and budget properly and all of the customers are self-entitled snobs that will gladly walk all over you.
Pros
They'll hire anybody.
Cons
They'll hire anybody.
In my experience, the management and opportunity for advancement has been fantastic! The issue is that random people would come in with less job experience and end up getting paid more than others who have been there longer and showed how hard they can work. Managers did make me feel important and appreciated, for my hard work, but it was not reflected in the numbers.
ManagementIn general, managers have been awesome in helping me grow and move up in the company.OverallMy experience working at JCPenney is I love the people I work with
Good benefits, friendly supportive environment. Decent pay. Lots of advancement opportunities. Everyone is willing to help each other. Coaching and training feedback. Flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great staff
Cons
Stop cutting staff hours, the biggest complaint from customers was no additional floor staff to help our quests, customers like the one on one shopping experience find merchandise
They don’t care about their employees. They don’t give you any direction on task. Manages just sit in the office doing nothing. Once you do a floor set they make you redo it
Transparency. Room for growth and positive workplace. Unfortunately tough times. Hopefully we will get through this and rejoin, healthy, and as strong as we can be.
Even as a supervisor was underpaid, wasn’t encouraged to participate in supervisor meetings, kept under 40 hours and no benefits. Long hours, never enough employees on staff, supervisor belongs in Walmart not JCPenney
This was one of the worst jobs I’ve had. Even though the pay wasn’t terrible for this area, the older people I worked with were constantly worried about being terminated since 2 employees had recently been fired months before retirement kicked in. They encouraged individuality but they couldn’t care less about you.
typical day is asking every customer if they want to open a store credit card and to encourage them to download the app. coupons and other store information is on the app. The associates with low sales to credit cards are coached and encouraged on different ways to ask for the credit card. Customer service is always number 1 with the company, so we do our upmost to answer, correct or solve any problems/concerns that arise.
This is a fun company to work for, the day to day work is pretty easy if you have a knack for customer service. It’s a great place to get customer service and cashier experience. Career advancement is possible for those with the necessary skill sets, but they move slow because positions have to become available first.
Pros
Fun environment, easy work
Cons
Minimal pay
The people who work their are great people it is the upper management who don’t care about the people just the bottom line. You get more negative feedback than any positive feedback
The work environment at JCPenney was well rounded it was a team their manager was good, They work well with attendance schedule and days off and call June was done correctly
The company as a whole is failing. There's constant talk of new store closures; there's absolutely no job security. Most of management has worked for the company 15+ years and aren't very open to change. Things tend to be very divided by department. Not a ton of cross-department assistance which makes the stores worse. The corporate structure is ridiculous and difficult to navigate. Healthcare is terrible. Single plans have $1000+ deductibles before there's any assistance. No copays, everything 100% out of pocket until that's met. Dental and vision are okay. Pay varies wildy across the company, even in identical roles. Some GMs are willing to pay people more because there aren't a lot of applicants; some lowball because the company is dying. I'm being paid pretty significantly bove company average and I'm not rolling in dough. Stores with Sephoras inside are, on average, doing better than stores without. That fact gets ignored and SiJCP is given very little help or resources. A lot of younger staff is at JCP until they find something better. A lot of the older staff is holding on to the sinking ship to collect their pensions & retirement benefits. Not the worst place to work for in-between times but don't expect to make a career.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Poor benefits
Fast paced at times down times there are always thing to do. Have to be self motivated. Enjoying people interaction is a must at times it can be difficult.
Pros
Employee discount
If your looking for a career This is not the job for you Hard to advance in the company, upper mgt gets paid much better than in store mgt Too much work, not enough compensation
I worked there for 2.5 years and advanced quickly. Despite being a full time supervisor, I was denied benefits. HR is literally the worst I've ever had to work with. She would change the schedule with no notice. Would say "that's not my problem", when presented with issues. Had the schedule all screwed up, frequently leaving you by yourself an entire shift with no break coverage. If you tried to get an issue resolved by going above her, you would be made to sit in her office and apologize. I took a two week vacation due to a family emergency and wasn't paid for it until I escalated it to corporate after trying to reach both HR and the GM multiple times. No support AT ALL. Upper management is never held accountable for anything. I've heard from newer employees that they felt forced to apply for the jcp card or else they were told they wouldn't get hours, however they're afraid to say anything about it for fear of repercussions. I loved my clients and the position I had, but it wasn't worth dealing with a bunch of power tripping crazies.
Pros
Great clients, gratis
Cons
Poor management, pressure to get credit applications, no breaks, no substantial training, HR is a joke, no support from management
Always something going on, never a dull moment. The team is great to work with, lots of energy. The hardest part of the job is trying to complete what corporate wants while taking care of the customer.
Great company for discounts. I wish the pay was higher... I wish the pay was higher. Work to hard for littl money.. great if you have multi income household.
Good place to work. The customers love to shop there so it is great to assist them find what they are looking for. The company has good processes to help be a profitable company.
Jcpenney is a place where you can move up in the company. I enjoy working there . My co worker are a great group of people. I have been with the company over 10 years and is still working there.
  1. Merchandise Manager