JCPenney

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Merchandising Specialist

It was a good first job to have. I worked with some awesome people and felt like I was able to work hard each day. It taught me how to work hard and be dependable.
This was my first job and I must say that it was an memorable experience ,I enjoy working there,customer was very nice and the staff was good. I've learned so many stuff
Overall, the company is a good place to work, especially if you are looking for supplemental income. Advancement opportunities are few and far between.
JCPenney is a great company to work for. They have great benefits for you and your family. You can have flexible hours and they will work with you I Anu case of aspect that you will need.
If you want to be successful in retail you have to be a positive person mostly. Smile at everyone, get to know them, names, sense of humor so collaboration and training u will receive
Pros
Discounts, mall
Cons
Huge store
low pay very little hours no raises no room to grow stores closing they'll give you a 10 cent raise every year deal with rude customers and ungrateful managers
Flexible job, was able to go to school while employed with the organization. Liked the work there, was a good stepping stone and gain experience. Staff was friendly.
JC Penney's is like a family we accept all inclusion and diversity it's a great place to work. JC penney recognizes people for their hard work and promotes many people from within the company Many of my closest friends work for JC Penney'.
Pros
Lots of work perks
Great for a little check on the side or if you are busy with schooling. Flexible hours and a nice group of people to work with. However the pay isn't great and raises are only 25 cents on average annually. Their budget is tight because retail is dying and the writing is on the wall. Most stores are very understaffed. Even management positions are underpaid. That being said it is a fairly easy job with minimal stress.
Pros
Flexible Hours, nice people, relaxed environment
Cons
Low Wages, not many hours, retail is dying
I did enjoy working at JCPenney. My manager was a very good manager who took personal interest in making sure all of her team members achieved success.
Pros
Great Management and people.
Cons
Lack of advancement.
I worked behind the scenes before the store opened setting up store displays and events that were running for that week. Working with different managers made my job enjoyable. To learn different parts of the store and the expectations that were expected.
A typical day at JCPenney would consist of putting out merchandise on the sales floor. Management was very helpful and cared about the job and performance the associates did. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that were rude. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people that were nice and cared about the job they did.
Pros
Food was provided a lot and the Managers were very helpful
Cons
customers were rude sometimes
This job is what it is an extreme part time job. Good for what a second job. No real advancement opportunities. Management promotes from only the sales floor.
I spend almost 20 years in the store and served many roles. However, once my daughter was of a certain age I accepted a position at a local hospital for a much higher hourly rate. I was topped out at my salary range, with no hope of an increase unless the minimum wage was increased.
Pros
wonderful work family
Cons
wage cap
Required a huge work load and would under schedule us. My team would enter at 4am and would still get paid less than the sales associates. They were not flexible with time off and would only schedule 4 hour shifts. They were very unorganized.
A typical day at work involved not knowing who you would report to being at the time there was no permanent manager for my department.The GM and her assistant liked to micro manage the employees even if you had a mgr to report to and belittle you with their remarks and criticism.It constantly felt like you were walking on egg shells.They did not do a lot of job advancement.One you were in a position they kept you there and would just pile more onto your workload.Most of the employees liked to gossip and there were clicks.It seemed like a very childish atmosphere.The hardest part about working here was trying to please everyone.The most enjoyable part of the job was the friends I made along the way and what I learned along the way from a few decent people.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
health benefits that were not affordable for the compensation paid.
There was group as that work truck early in the morning.. Make friends working there .. A fun place to work at especially for the discount.. Manager for my department was very nice .. I would work for her again if I had the chance..
Pros
discounts
Cons
cutting hours back
I had a lot of fun working with the people at JCP. We had good laughs and got our jobs done. I was sad that they let most of my team go (including me).
The job is easy. Customers aren't too bad to deal with. It can be boring when it's slow and holidays can be stressful, but overall it's great
JCP is concerned about sales. Everything is done based currently sales. Must pay for benefits out of paycheck. Benefits coverage is very limited. Management are very uneducated about jobs that are done.
Worked with customers and associates all the time, training associates and helping customers make choices on merchandise selection. It was fun setting up a display and before I could finish the display the merchandise had sold. Requiring me to find other merchandise to do the display with. I enjoyed pleasing the customers and love seeing their reaction to my work.
Pros
Most of the time my job was Monday - Friday.
Cons
I was not pleased with doing inventory all day and sometimes all night.