JCPenney

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Operations Manager

I worked as a merchandise assistant for a few year and was promoted to men’s supervisor. After a year I was transferred to the Fresno JCPenney as a manager.
Pros
Good team chemistry
Cons
Work life balance
Great place to work with wonderful team. Experienced great leadership. Enjoyed the work/life balance. Many loyal customers to work with. Would go back if the opportunity was available.
Lots of opportunity to move forward. Need the ability to multi task and do more than your job description. The management staff has been cut putting more tension on the managers who are left.
The company will pay you a lot of money, but it's only a matter of time before they go under. My management team was dysfunctional largely because of the constant fear of our jobs being taken away.
Tight deadlines and a lot of hours. Some managers were good, but some didn't know a lot about their positions and relied on those that did. Great associates.
A wealth of retail knowledge and experience throughout the company. A company that has been focused on the customer for 100+ years. They strive to focus on the customer experience and making the shopping experience a memorable one to keep the customer coming back.
This is a great company that is working it's way to rebuilding on its rich history to grow in this changing retail environment. Very people focused. Great opportunities to develop many skills.
The company is not doing well financially which results in disarray on a store level. JCPenney does not compensate well, and the work load is absurd..
Was not treated well as an employee. Even though I worked very hard in my position the store manager kept on insisting that I stepped down from my position. That was after I explained to him many times that my department desperately needed more employees in order to get the work done. He did not care about that fact and constantly refused to hire more people. Because they discouraged people from getting overtime they went to great lengths to erase overtime hours legitimately worked by me, daring to delete a few hours that I knew I had worked but was never paid for.
Pros
Cons
N/a
JcPenny was a great job to have. It is a retail store so you do get the crazies out there. Not just customers but a few employees as well. But that is every job.
JC Penney is a great place to meet life long friends however there is little work life balance. You’re required to work long hours and perform as if you are 3 people. The company only cares about numbers. They tell you that customers and front line associates are their priority but do nothing to show you. The pay is sad in comparison to other retailers. The GM only works M-F but expects everyone to give up their weekends
Pros
Fellow workers, discount
Cons
Hours, schedule, management, pay, benefits
The company is a good one to work for but there is mismanagement going on at the local store that makes working there unpleasant. Employees were made to feel as if they didn't matter and no consideration was taken for them having personal lives. The company has a great Golden Rule and pays fairly based on previous employment. There are many instances for upward movement if you show promise and are a hard worker.
Pros
Decent pay, MTO balance, affordable healthcare
Cons
Management, work/life balance, environment
very family oriented culture. very nice place to work however with the current struggles of the company future growth and advancement are uncertain.
you can grow if you want too, and you can Also stay stuck jf you arent willing to put the work in. JcPenny provides excellent benefits, and a great bonus structure.
Pros
Great bonus
Cons
Lots of woek
You stay busy so the day goes by fast. You meet new people everyday. Multitasking skills are essential. Very fun place to work if you like to socialize and work at the same time.
Pros
Flexible hours, discounts
Cons
Little recognition for your hard work
There is virtual no training, management just throws you in to recover the floor. When I asked for training, after three weeks, they said I should already know what I’m doing by now. Really? In fine jewelry? There’s so many procedures there’s no possible way I could do my job to the best of my ability.
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
The management team
JCPenney is a company that promotes the customers over their employees they put rules in the place so that you cannot break them but management can to make you look like a fool to the customer. If management can not do something for the customer the customer just has to call the home office then the manager will have to apologize profusely to the customer + give them a $20 gift card and still give them the extra discounts that they were originally arguing for. It has no respect for its employees it is constantly being told that you would lose your job if you cannot make your credit applications goal.
It has been good to work with this company even though the turnover from the CEO level down has increased. I could see myself continue to grow with this company.
Was a wonderful place and very family oriented flexible schedules for working parents or 2 jobs very driven to win! The leadership is truly focused on the reinvention of the brand!
Benefits
Cons
Do not walk the talk
No advancement available past the supervisory level from within. All are outside hires. OK work life balance outside of peak seasons. Some departments have peak season September through January.
J.C. Penney was the best place to work back in the 70's and 80's. All the staff including management was like family, we did everything together at work and outside of work. A normal day at work included doing your daily job,, assisting the public and stocking the store. at the end of the day you went home with a good feeling inside and was willing to return the nest morning with a smile on your face ready to do it again. The store held the best management team, who worked together and with the staff to make the store happen. Encouraged staff to work to meet sales gains and the staff was rewarded when they did.
Pros
Great family atmosphere