JCPenney
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Sales Associate5,481 reviews
Found 5,481 reviews matching the search
Liked to work there back in high school, would not recommend it to someone over the age of 19. Good pay for a young kid. Retail just wasnt exactly my thing. But for someone who doesnt mind folding clothes then i would reccomend.
Y’all I worked here off and on for over two years and it was the most draining experience ever. Managements is horrible no matter where you go because it’s retail. I worked the customer service desk mainly, but they had me running every direction they could pull me, and never had enough coverage because they wouldn’t cross train anybody. They’ll take anybody they can because they’re desperate.
I worked for JCP at the Boulevard Mall before it closed. It was a great place to work, although I personally feel it was a great spot to start off at a really young age.
Pros
Met some great people, gained experience
Cons
Being on your feet & starting pay was really low.
Used to really enjoy working here. But everything went downhill after the only good manger was let go. Management is now awful. Highly unstructured work environment, nobody knows where anyone is or what’s going on. A harassing Lod that micromanages everything anyone does. Along with personally harassing me. Be prepared to have minimal training before going out on the floor.
Pros
30 min break
Cons
Everything else
Employees never have a voice. And if you speak your voice, you aren't listened to. Pay sucks, been working for over a year and have not received any kind of raise. Management sucks. They only care about credit cards, and if you don't meet the credit goal, they basically scold you. They basically want you to force customers to sign up for the credit card. You can get 100s of other jobs done perfectly, but if you're not good at getting people to sign up for the credit cards, they don't care. Co workers are great, but we are all mistreated. Always understaffed, so everyone has to hop around in positions. Management never helps out.
Pros
Discounts, flexibility in scheduling (mostly)
Cons
always doing other people's jobs, always stressed, understaffed
Rate of pay is significantly low , hours can be Squirrley at the most, after closing sweeping the store can lead to not leaving until 11 PM to 12 AM , at the time I worked there money was not a concern just needed to work and socialize at that particular time, the store in rock Hill South Carolina did not carry home goods per se such as appliances which most customers did not like , Also it was only one level
Pros
Enjoy working with the customers
Cons
Low pay Also it was only one level, dress code at the time was a little more than silly call
its your typical retail job you can expect the same thing every where. My biggest problem was the management at my store but you cant always get lucky and have great managers. I personally think they dont pay well but its a basic job cant expect much.
Pros
1 hour lunch
I got to meet new people. Really nice environment. Although video walk through didn’t really explain everything. And their wasn’t really a boss. My co workers were the ones who taught me how to go around doing my job.
Pros
Meeting new people and interacting with customers
Cons
Lack of good leadership, no “boss”
Was a job to get me started in life could have better sales training
I had this job while I was figuring out what I wanted to do with my life not a bad gig to have but everything is online now so who knows what the future holds
Working as a receptionist at the salon in JCPenney was a new experience and a somewhat good but rocky one. In the beginning, there were young stylists who would pick and choose what they wanted to do if there was a walk-in client. It was difficult because other experienced stylists would also not want to take walk ins because they either worked a long day or they did not think the work load was fair.
When I worked there as a sales associate I made 8.50 and that was a big deal supposedly.
They are always on you about credit applications and customers get frustrated with being asked.

There's not good work ethic among most of the employees.
Pros
Interactions with customers
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, bad management, requires credit quota
They would often schedule me minutes after i got home from school until 12 and even 1 in the morning sometimes. (i was working as a holiday employee)
Pros
pay well and discounts are offerd.
Cons
you can’t wear comfortable shoes they have to be dress shoes.
Working at JCPenny I always had something to do there never was really a moment where I was just sitting around . If I wasn’t ringing someone up then I made sure to start putting away items that customers may not have wanted . A lot of times I keep myself busy because it just helps my day go by faster and sitting around just wasn’t a option for me .
Pros
The environment and people
Cons
Short breaks
My work life balance was a 3/5 because I was the schedule wasn't a normal work schedule but that's because it was retail. Sometimes I'd get home really late because the busses at night were so scarce but I'd have to be at work early the next day.
Pros
Sometimes provided free meals for employees and gave 15% discounts.
Cons
30 minute breaks for 6 hour shifts. Should be at least 45 minutes.
The work environment is all around fun and upbeat along with a professional casual work life, management is constantly disappearing and never around when you need them
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Bad management
I have not been here since 6 years ago; however at that time, I really enjoyed working here. Not sure if the main manager or others are still there, but at that time, compliments were dished out to show their appreciation. Employees were often treated to sandwiches and treats for all their hard work. If it was not so far away from home (and high gas costs at the time $5+ per gal) I would have stayed there.
This was one of the friendliest and most appreciative places I have worked for.
Pros
Lunches and treats for appreciation, Compliments from management, I was happy and so busy working here that I often forgot it was time to go home
Cons
Sometimes was a long day since didn't know when we would be able to go home, after closing store would have to get back in order and sometimes hard to tell when that would be
Working for Jcpenney was a pleasure it gave me an opportunity on how a job really was since it was my first job, management was really nice to me when it was my first day on the job they gave me a tour of the whole store & it turned out pretty great!
Jcpenny was the worst place I worked. The management wasn't good, the people i worked with were lazy and the management did nothing. I was just a seasonal worker but, wouldn't work there again.
My first shift was on black friday, 2007. Most of the employees that I worked with were fine, albeit there were some that thrived on gossiping about other employees. Management typically called out mistakes that were made but avoided any positive comments concerning employees. One manager (grandmother aged) in particular liked to talk about me to my underage coworker. There was one manager whom I loved to work with but that didn't happen often. I was happy to get out of there.
Pros
One amazing manager that we needed more of
Cons
Everyone and everything else
Very unorganized workplace. High turnover rate because employees get fed up with the way things are managed. The store is always a mess because you have managers pointing you in multiple different directions to do different things and you never get anything done. One manager (I believe it was the customer relations manager) was always rude. Snapped at me on my first week of working there in front of 2 customers I was trying to help. I was still learning where everything was and all I did was ask where the price scanner was located. The same manager also picked up the phone when I had to call in sick and immediately hung up on me when I explained that I was under the weather.
The rest of the managers were very kind, just completely unorganized and never on the same page as everyone else.
Pros
Nice break room
Cons
Unorganized, bad pay
With this being my first job I quickly got excited to be one of Jcpennys employees but I started receiving pay and felt like I was work harder to be getting paid what I was getting
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Pay
7.2K