JCPenney
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Sales Associate5,529 reviews
Found 5,529 reviews matching the search
Liked to work there back in high school, would not recommend it to someone over the age of 19. Good pay for a young kid. Retail just wasnt exactly my thing. But for someone who doesnt mind folding clothes then i would reccomend.
Everyone I worked with (for the most part) is very nice, and they try to be helpful, it's very hard for Supervisors to help, sometimes they are spread too thin. Many times I ask for help, and it will be minutes before a manager can come help. Not exactly professional when a customer is waiting as well. Management seriously expects us to SELL CREDIT CARDS during a pandemic and while the company is going bankrupt. They seriously will come on the SALES FLOOR and coach you if your not making the credit card goal.
Hours are some what flexible. Store is often a mess. Pay is way to low.

Pros
Scheduled breaks, friendly employees.
Cons
High pressure to make credit goals, pay extremely low for work load.
The schedule had flexibility for school, managers are willing to work with you. There is opportunity to move up, but you have to put in the work and be a leader.
Good company to work for and good pay and benefits even though you are paid bi weekly but they do give you more hours if needed and they are very understandable
The discount was good. The other employees were pretty good to work with. You ended up making friends there. Some of the supervisors were great others weren’t. You ended up having favorite supervisors and not favorites. The manager can be funny sometimes. The assistant manager had favorites. You know what happens when you have favorites in a company. Your hours got cut after holiday. Credit was pushed. Other than that JCPenney was an alright place to work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Favorite employees
Great retail chain, very corporate ( to a fault ). They provided me with a lot of different opportunities, and training was great. Management hours are rough, and working Holidays isn’t for everyone. Pay and benefit package are ok if you put you’re time in. The company on both the corporate and store level really did (at least attempted too) care for and about the employees. Managing 16-20 yr olds isn’t easy work .
Pros
Good people
Cons
Hours
The company pushed sales associates to a quota on customers opening a new credit card. Because jcp was struggling as a company financially, the need for customers to spend on credit was critical.
Pros
Worked with school schedules
Cons
Pressure on associates to get customers to open a new credit card
it was fun to work at this place, but the pay was so low that I was not able to continue. I learned not to trust everyone because people try to put you down.
Pros
friendly work environment
Cons
low pay
Management is very disorganized and often will contradict themselves this was a daily issue. They also pressure associates immensely to get credit cards. Good luck getting a raise and if you do it will probably be 15 cents. Discounts were pretty good IF you use a jcpenney card or gift card. I wouldn’t recommend working there you can get much better pay and less stress.
Pros
Discount time off
Cons
Rude management credit card pressure stressful
Overall
My experience working at JCPenney was pleasant overall. I loved my management and coworkers and coming in to work every single day was actually not heart wrenching and draining. 10/10 would recommend.
Typical day consisted of quick morning brief, merchandising, cashier duties, folding and reorganizing. Overall, this job is not very difficult and good for a beginner.
Pros
Flexible schedule, breaks
Cons
Low pay
I worked as an associate at JCP during college. They were good about working with school schedules and all, but the pace was incredibly slow, there was little to no opportunities for advancement, and my particular manager wasn’t very good with people. I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone over the age of 20.
Fun work environment and great start for a first job. They always have a set schedule to do. And always have a go to on how to Handle certain task. Loved it
Working at JCP is tiring and stressful. If its not the entitled customers that is the problem, it is the entitled management. The management are selfish
An ok part time job but you will be working every weekend. The holiday season of course can be crazy. The discount was great. It is hard to be full time if you are not in a supervisor role.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay, hours
I started off in another state and transferred up. My experience at the first location was fantastic, but this location's management at the time was poor at best. I frequently found myself covering an entire floor on my own.
Typical retail job. Customers were rude, but decent coworkers made it tolerable. Constant credit application goals sent by corporate create a more toxic work environment than a healthy one, but this isn't unique to JCP. Schedule flexibility was a plus with a very forgiving absence policy. A fine first job, but would not recommend long-term employment. Avoid working direct sales if you like keeping your sanity.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible scheduling
Cons
Short breaks, limited/difficult to acquire PTO, toxic work environment, rude customers
Works there for a while, sad to go but I had a great time working there when I did.
Good people and good times

Just a sucky company overall

Doesn’t help it’s falling through either
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
Hardly any raises
Work-life balance
Management is so mean

Pay & benefits

Not very understanding about heath issues

Unapproachable

Overall

horrible experience that left me needing therapy and management made me feel less than and stupid. I am a very positive person and they changed that for sure.
Its easy work but it can be a little stressful at times especially when you are tryna get customers to sign up for a credit card. Its alot of pressure when it comes to that. I like the job. I hate that we have to ask customers for credit accounts.
Pros
1 Hour break
Cons
Not a full time job to live on
Coworkers and managers were horrible most stood around talking and not working at all
Didnt get trained on anything new didnt even get a name tag until I was about to quit

Only good thing was the pay but the schedule was always changing and put out last minute