JCPenney
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Incredible coworkers, great advancement opportunities. Stressful as any job that is fast paced. Some issues with communication. Loved working here wish they didn't close.
Pros
Great opportunities, great pay for supervisor or manager
Cons
No benefits
I have been working on southeast side at JCPENNY for a while and they need new ways to bring people in, example offer donuts and coffee over the weekend for shoppers, or section where you can get your nails and feet done. It won't be long till we shut down.
Held many positions in my years at JCP. The people that worked in each store that I worked in were the difference makers for me. Management was always consistent, making it easier to understand and do my job
Pros
The people i had the opportunity to work with
Cons
Terrible experience, if the district and regional team don’t like you than you will never grow with the company no matter how well you outperform other coworkers.
Pros
Cons
District leadership is incompetent
JCPenney training prepared you well for future assignments. Promotions came as rewards for consistently good performance. The JCPenney culture was always good.
Pros
Rewarding Experience
Cons
Demanding and full time.
The biggest opportunities are the culture itself. I liked working with my employees and the customers and merchandising the floor. walked the floor and met with my managers and supervisors to set the tone for the day. Observed associates waiting on customers and gave feedback when an opportunity arose as well as recognized associates who did a good job.
Workplace culture of bad behavior that never is resolved has corrupted this store. Lack of management support on issues that impacted the store and negative attitudes with staff are a common philosophy. The Home Store is now closed but the problems with unprofessional management continues at the mall store. I did enjoy delivering high quality of customer service developing a relationship with customers and earning customer loyalty. I developed better problem solving skills and making management decisions to issues. I enjoy keeping busy but constant poor staffing increased the stress level greatly. To many hands in the scheduling process and constant changes in schedules was a daily battle especially without being notified of any changes. My schedule changed 3 times a week which was common and excessive. I enjoyed merchandising, pricing and working as a team to accomplish tasks. I also liked their products and clothing lines which seem to be priced well and good sales.
Pros
Love their product lines
Cons
Negative atmosphere
It was a great company to work for. Very fair and always room for advancement. Always a place to grow. Always will to train. Flexible schedules. Overall a great family company
Wants to operate with part time associates, few managers in the building. Associates struggled to get things accomplished simply because payroll dollars were virtually non-existent and subject to change. Way to many clothes in a limited amount of space. Made shopping and clean up hard. Not a pleasant experience.
Pros
Flexible schedules, could miss a lot of days without backlash
Cons
Corporate direction is disjointed, massive product line changes done without consideration of store impact.
If you just want to stand around and talk this is not the place for you. There is always something to do e.g. helping customers, working the register, straightening the merchandise, replenishing the store, visual, reworking the floor plan, etc...
Challenging environment. If you enjoy people....you will enjoy this job. High paced daily with something to work on daily. As a manager you are control on what environment you want to promote...both for your team and your Customers. You are also part of a Team of supervisors and management associates who in' most cases are all striving to improve the store environment. Promotions take place daily throughout the company and are communicated on a weekly basis.
Pros
You control your promotability
Cons
CEO's change too often.
JC Penny was a good company to work for. As I got older, and started a family I was able to move my hours around so I didn't have to worry about child care. The managers were wonderful and caring and I miss working with them still to this day. Plus the associate discount was nice having 2 small children that constantly grew out of their clothes.
Really a VERY fast paced environment to work in. If you like the challenges of retail you will love it with this company. Very challenging environment to work in.
It is too bad catalog centers no longer exist in the JCPenney culture. It provided quick easy access for customers and was more integrated into the community then the large stores are.
Poor place to grow and contribute. Company can't change to be competitive with other retailers and Amazon. Operating model is very flawed and requires drastic change to become employee and customer centric.
Upper management had unrealistic goals for the locations, would go around management and hire sales associates who were not photographers, force guests into packages with bad photography and weird borders.
I have been at JCPenney for over 10 years. I have enjoyed working there, but I have not been able to move up towards a higher level of management. That is why I am looking elsewhere for more experience and challenges. We have a great team. But I worked hard to make that happen. We have had some hiccups along the way, but we got things smoothed out with hard work and great communication. I believe every great work environment happens with a good manager. Hardest part of the job is losing good employees when they go back to school or relocate. Learned a lot with this job. But I feel I am ready for more.
Pros
Good work envionrment
Cons
no way to advance to upper level management
awesome benefits each store has different culture, prefer the stand alone stores. Still employed there even though I make more money at my full time job, love the team culture!
I loved most everything about working at JCP. My location had to close its doors for good though and it sounds like the company as a whole is in trouble. but I loved my job
Pros
fun
Cons
no many
JCPenney is a great place to work. You seem to learn a lot about people and clothing. The staff were great friends, and the manager was fair. You met a lot of customers that became good friends to this day.