Here to help
Coronavirus update

KPMG Employee Reviews for Senior Auditor

Senior Auditor10 reviews
Singapore10 reviews
The company has alot of resources given to help the staff in completing their daily work.
Competitive and challenging environment to work in.

The company cares about the well being of their staff
Overall, working in KPMG is good. While I highly valued my time at my previous company, there are no longer opportunities for growth that align with my career goals.
Workplace culture:
Plenty of growth opportunities, much training provided, but on the job you're almost thrown into the deep end of the pool. Form good relationships so you have people to turn to for help. Very young workforce, almost everybody is fresh out of university, managers are mostly within 10 years age difference.

Nature of job:

Prepare to slog your guts out during peak audit season. The nature of the job itself is demanding. You are expected to know your stuff or do research. Hot desking can be a boon or a bane. You bring your office supplies everywhere with you, which can be a burden on short engagements. Flexi-hours, meaning your supposed 9-6pm job can stretch to 10pm and later.

Overall:

Great stepping stone for fresh grads. If you're not into auditing, don't stay too long.
Pros
Many learning opportunities
Cons
Very long hours
- Long working hours due to the nature of the job (External auditor).
- Big organization with many employees (able to have other colleague covering your work when you are not around).
It's an reputable international audit firm. Was in the audit team and audited various companies from different industries. Workplace culture was good.
KPMG offers an extensive training programme and focuses heavily on professional development. You will experience a steep learning curve and constantly improve yourself through various engagement exposures. KPMG also emphasize on teamwork and leadership skills. As you progress, you will be tasked to independently lead engagement teams to deal with challenging tasks and solve different problems.

Although you may need to work extended hours on regular basis, the effort will pay off in terms of quick development of professional, interpersonal, leadership and problem-solving skills.
Pros
Fast professional development
Cons
Extended working hours
During audit peak period we are usually at our clients' sites, going through the accounts and processes with clients, performing audit procedures and document our audit findings such that the final product - annual report, presents a true and fair view of our client's financial performance and position.

We have clients from diverse industries and every new engagement is a new learning opportunity. Different clients have different working style and different business models/operation. The learning curve is steep but once you grasped it and have a good understanding of the business, asking clients the relevant and right questions and getting your work done, the fulfilment is immeasurable.

The most enjoyable part is the endless learning opportunities and working with teammates that are equally dedicated as you are.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Job advancement is very fast (promotion every year), but the hours are crazy (could work past midnight every day for weeks non-stop). Colleagues are pleasant.
I've had a fun time at KPMG Singapore, with many supportive and helpful colleagues and managers! It can be stressful at most times, especially during peak period where we have multiple clients and engagements running at the same time, but you can feel a sense of self achievement when all of them are completed! :)
My typical day at KPMG will always start off from client and partner management to reviewing of audit work papers in accordance to audit strategies, planning and procedures previously agreed and signed off with engagement partner. This includes handling any queries raised by the team and solving any issues on hand and to update the status report of audit.

The enjoyable part will be to discover important management point or to help identify any potential control failures as these are value adding to the client and increase the quality of audit work.

This includes summarising all the management points and to raise discussions with the CFO before arranging with Managing director or Audit committee together with our engagement manager and partner.

The hardest part will be to gather all necessary audit evidences to support any case of management point. This is tedious but fruitful as the process of investigation allows for deeper understanding of the area of weak controls and increases the value of audit work. It also opens up potential business opportunities with the client (i.e. Corporate group tax services , transfer pricing etc)

What i have learnt is a deeper understanding of the financial health of different companies, their risk management system and a greater exposure on the application of many key accounting standards (ie. Business combination, Financial instruments, Leasing, Investment properties etc)
Pros
Strong training materials and expert knowledge support