Lonza

Lonza Employee Reviews in Portsmouth, NH

Great place to work I am just looking for a permanent position. The staff are very knowledgeable and willing to train you to knew things. There is plenty of room for advancement if you are a permanent employee. It is a huge company reaching world wide if you wished to relocate. They offer free tuition to any permanent employee with one year of employment.
Pros
overtime
Cons
temporary position
Lonza overall is a solid career move if you have experience in Therapeutic Protein Manufacturing or education in environmental science or bioscience. Working in the Suites is very fast paced but people are often very helpful in making sure new team members aren't left behind. The real money comes after 5-7 years of continuous employment.
Pros
Solid work schedule with multiple days off in a row, excellent culture, cafeteria is excellent and subsidized by the company.
Cons
If you end up working overnight shift prepare for a major change in social and family life.
Clear sense of purpose in the jobs performed. Technical direction and support is superior. Everyone works as a team to meet common goals and daily objectives.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, support
Cons
24/7 365days Can be difficult on family life
If you have the right manager who believes in the Lonza way, which there are many, it's fantastic and fun. If you have manager who doesn't care about your well being and career growth, watch out.
Pros
Great fun work environment, meet many types of people.
Cons
The one bad egg who can ruin it for you.
It looks great on the surface but is the worst kind of company to work at. It is full of people who are truly only there for themselves. If you have even a tiny sense of work ethic and want to be on a great team, this is NOT the company for you. If you are a woman, you need to be the kind that hates other woman to get anywhere in the company. Horrible, horrible, horrible.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management, schedule, terrible cGMP
The time off and retirement are the key bennies at Lonza. The health insurance goes down in quality every year. Leadership is beyond terrible and out of touch. They have adopted the "Lean is Mean" mindset. Which really just means everyone is overworked, under-payed, and under-appreciated. They throw away money creating jobs that have no impact on day to day operations. People are promoted based on friendships, not on capabilities and improvements they have made in their department.
Pros
Nice Cafe, good schedule, good amount of vacation and sick, good 401k match
Cons
Leadership is out of touch, decisions are made by people who have never done the job before, pay is not comparable to same jobs in MA
Don't let them know if you are an engineer. Everyone thinks that engineers are know-it-alls. If you get in and have an engineering degree don't let them know that you want to be an engineer eventually. You will be treated like an outsider.
The management is god awful at this place, leadership is not a word I would use to describe what they do there. Not to mention it's almost impossible to get their recruiter on the phone if you're trying to check in on your application. Don't go here unless you absolutely have to.
Cons
Bad Management
Manufacturing culture is toxic, the hours are long and the hardest part of the job seems to be dealing with incompetent or miserable co workers. Management is poor and constantly changing. The training department is completely dysfunctional so attaining your qualifications is much harder than it should be. Turnover is very high.
There is little to no room for advancement within this company unless you brown nose. Pay is good but not the best and definitely not enough to compensate for what you have to deal with daily. Turn over is very high and all shifts and departments are almost always understaffed. I really don't have much great to say about this company except that they give good yearly bonuses. Seems like everyone has a mental break as some point working here.
Alight place to work at it's better than most company's. Has a lot of way for contractors and full time employees to improve and move up in the company ranks.
I was with this company for several years. I finally had achieved a position that I liked, good manager, *great* commute! The compensation was ok, and I liked what I was doing. I felt like I had power to enact positive change! However, management above my manager turned over (job market was hot), the company ran too thin (was having trouble filling positions) and lost direction. My manager was running several departments/groups now and didn't have much time to review and approve projects. Simple SOP revisions took 3, 4, then 5 months. My workload continued to increase as I was identified as a hard worker and the company grew, but no headcount was added to our department. Even if the headcount was hypothetically approved, HR would be very slow in hiring. Internal hires took 2-3 months. I couldn't make much positive change any more; up to 50% of my time was spent in meetings with no agendas that were scheduled by people above my level. Sometimes I showed up and I was leading the meeting (surprise!) The new management was not collaborative, focused, or professional. One individual shouted at staff until red in the face. I started having a hard time keeping it together; every day became so frustrating. I realized I could do better for myself and for others; I was becoming negative and that's just not who I am!
Pros
Flex hours; no income tax in NH!
Cons
Pass-the-buck culture
You're basically working on a stairmaster for 12 hrs. Few breaks. Unorganized. Manager of F3 looks to blame and publicly shame you for bad procedures.
Pros
Portsmouth is a nice location
Cons
Management, time off, no breaks, unreasonable schedule, not GMP
Things have changed in the 15 years since I retired. I loved working at Lonza and enjoyed the people, culture and structure. Food was fabulous and there was a god deal of support.
Schedule is great for work/life balance. Work hard and you will be rewarded. It is a fast paced work environment but great for people with good time management skills.
Pros
1.5 hours of paid breaks in 12 hour shift
Cons
Management is not well organized
Too many issues to cover here. Had a disrespectful supervsor announce she was going to call by an assigned derogatory nickname. This was done at our weekly group meeting in front of my peers. After telling her I expected her to use my name, Her response was, what are you going to do tell HR. That is exactly what I did, and believe it or not the same supervisor was assigned, by HR, to meditate my complaint. The portsmith site would be laughable if it wasn't so toxic.
Pros
Cafe
Cons
Toxic atmosphere
The job is ok, but the company lacks in proper management. They cut pay and benefits and don't care to hear back from their employees. Management is incompetent and dismissive towards their employees.
Cons
Profit driven Swiss based company with little to no regard for manufacturing work environment, Good employee interaction on working floor. Management out of touch with workers concerns.
Pros
Less every year
Cons
More demands on workers, less benefits in comparison to other companies
Lonza asks employees to perform more than the displayed job description. Requiring you to do that of the next level/promotion in order to be promoted. However, this opens the door to being exposed to several facets of the biotech industry. Allowing you to hone in on the aspect that truly fascinates yourself.
high turnover, lack of leadership within internal departments, violent culture and atmosphere. Lack of consistency of what is required and was is not.
Lonza is a pro-employee company that help balance employees Life and work. They protect employees safety by promoting safety matters and programs to keep employees aware of safety practices and company safety tools and PPE. Company is also good in Quality aspects of the processing of drugs and products by having a strong Quality group on the floor and documenting events occurring during processing for everyone's awareness and learning. They promote doing Right first time and employe's feel they are an important key of the company success. This is a great company and have learn a lot from this work experience.
Pros
Free Company and Free Onsite Gym
Cons
Geographical Area