Microsoft

Microsoft Employee Reviews in Boulder, CO

Great opportunity to learn with fellow employees in a working environment that is vert team orientated. Very smart engineers that are willing to help others succeed. Great work/family lifestyle. Good Communications with Upper Management.High visibility projects where you get notice by upper management.
Pros
Benefits-Family Time-Smart-Team Orientated employees
Cons
My position with Microsoft was temporary. This made keeping this job impossible as it was contract work. Overall they were dedicated to the mental health of their employees and took steps to create breaks and allow employees to get to know one another in an otherwise isolating atmosphere.
Our Team's goals were usually pretty clear and we met as a team on a regular basis. Technology firm that was regularly hampered by someone else's internet technology.
For the volume/complexity/difficulty of the effort - capturing and processing high volumes of continuous street side and aerial imaging - this was the best managed I have ever seen. By far some of the most knowledgeable software developers with whom I have worked. Especially unusual and impressive was the dynamic environment driving toward best solutions. If you had a better idea and could back it up with reason, historical data, logic, etc., the direction of the project could be changed the same day your idea is presented. Microsoft maintained a top notch team and gave you the freedom to be creative. If you didn't perform within reasonable expectations, you didn't stay. Would have loved to stay, the effort I was hired to support was completed.
Pros
Always free drinks and snacks, both healthy and unhealthy, depending on personal preference. Often brought in Pizza and other food.
Cons
Microsoft centers on people who prefer to work hard, smart and intense. If you don't thrive on hard & intense, it's probably not the place for you to work.
The company itself says they promote from within- however they are extremely bias. If your not part of the in crowd, there you are just a number and not recognized for your contributions to the company, further more you are not and never will be promoted- without being in the circle of close nit employees.
Pros
Money was good
Cons
Constantly working for 6 months straight on an average of 22- 29 hours a day, I had no life.
This was a temporary contract position at the old Bing office. It was a nice place to work at, but is no longer in business. There was some room for growth and was very driven by time management.
Pros
Monthly office parties.
Cons
Temporary
I would not discourage anyone from going to work for Microsoft. Interesting work, great company and benefits. The quality of management varies greatly from office to office, but worth consideration.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Some senior managers are very poor
Working at Bing for me was an extremely competitive, challenging environment. I did however enjoy the process of learning & implementing incredibly detailed software toolchains & comfortably sank into most hours at my workstation without issue. Office politics were tough & quite opaque, thus being laid off was something I got over relatively quickly.
Pros
Brand recognition
Cons
working culture
My time there was short, I was a contractor not a full employee. We were given a project and a time limit and set loose. we worked crazy hours, some time 90 hr a week or more but were paid very well for it.
Pros
great pay, good people
Cons
LONG hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Microsoft?
I worked at Microsoft as a Student Partner for one semester. I enjoyed the experience thoroughly, and I would recommended it for anyone that may be interested!
It was the greatest work experience I have had to date. I was exploited for my skills and talents and laid off when the developers found a more cost effective way to do my job but that is business.
Pros
competitive Compensation
Cons
not stable
For the short time I worked at Microsoft on contract it was a very good job. Fun atmosphere, inclusive environment, and very helpful and friendly leadership.
While the compensation and job security leave much to be desired the culture at the office and fellow employees make it a great place to work
Great experience and learning opportunity. The coworkers made the environment so enjoyable. Hardest part of the job was the commute from Denver to Boulder.
Pros
Monthly release meetings
Cons
Healthcare, salary
My job requires many different mini tasks. I first check my email and instant message my leads and managers to get an update on the quality control process. I work closely with my teammates to provide the best quality work we can. I learn new Microsoft applications everyday. This includes Microsoft office, Outlook, and Skype. Some of what we do is data entry and some of what we do requires detail of Bing Map's imagery.
Pros
Free coffee, soft drinks, shuffleboard, arcade games, chess, flexible schedule.
Cons
Vague about future projects and moving departments, vague about job security based on available work.
Do not be taken into contract with Microsoft, unless you are prepared for a break neck pace, poor compensation for your effort and to be lost in the wood work as you are only going to be an expendable item in the large machine. If you plan to perform better then everyone else, don't, you'll be removed by politics and back channeling that will result in your ultimate cancellation, if you are looking for experience? you wont find much mindless tasks will be provided for you until you are eventually made obsolete by programing. Personally I recommend finding something your comfortable with, and that will pay off more then this job, because Microsoft wants you for the least amount of money possible and no they do not want to build a relationship with you.
Pros
free soda....
Cons
no vacation, no benefits, no sympathy
The work I did with Insight Global/Microsoft was very interesting work especially with working with all the images that were given to me and the other people I worked with
Microsoft was a fun place to work. They had a lot of different people from different backgrounds working. Had friendly co-workers. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work in teams with different people
I truly enjoy working for Microsoft. I have enjoyed my 9 months here under contract very much. The people are smart, friendly & helpful. I have learned a lot since my hire and look forward to continuing to grow professionally. I was kept busy and learned something new everyday here.
Pros
Fun environment, friendly, lots of diversity.
Cons
A lot of pressure to keep up.
If you are a contract employee they will terminate your contract without ANY notice and without fair discussion of job performance!
A typical day was always something slightly different the next day as new maps would be available. After a couple days it became a fun thing to do and realize all the work that is being processed which I, myself can look at it today and know I helped with a huge project and helped Microsoft Bing meet that goal! The hardest part of the job was not to get going to fast through the maps or something small might pass you by so when I felt things were way too easy I would slow down moving across the map. My most enjoyable part of working there was having a really nice computer , cool people to work with! , Working for Microsoft, Using a large amount of imagination and attention to detail. ALL management there I encountered were very friendly and did their best to help all the HFE / 3D operators were busy , feed , hydrated , and encouraged breaks! yep! Microsoft Bing really opened my eyes and working with other operators we were able to produce 1000's of hours of work to bet our goal of production.
Pros
Nice place, its Microsoft, Free Coffee, its Microsoft, Awesome hands on experience editing live imagery.
Cons
Located 33 miles from my family which I would spend 5 extra hours commuting everyday.