Microsoft

Microsoft Employee Reviews for Software Test Engineer

Good place to work. Good team work. I worked as a contractor and it was very good team and highly technical position. Long work hours very good place to learn and grow.
The company generally provides a sufficient environment for growth. You can mentor & seek out mentorship. Overall its a great company to work for & advance in the career.
I started at a low rate but learned a lot from my experience. Learning new skills and meeting new people happens every day. The campus and work life balance is also great!
Pros
Learn new things
Cons
Pay rate accoding to living expenses
The work is assigned by project, with a deadline. What hours you work, and what days etc are very flexible as long as you deliver the project on time and with the correct quality. Teams are generally respectful of all ideas from anyone at any level.
It was a good experience getting to see the extensive infrastructure Microsoft has at their disposal. This gave additional insight as to how Microsoft tackles challenges.
Working as a contractor at Microsoft is great. The FTE are capable and a lot to learn from to improve your career. How ever, as the nature of a contractor, one is always the collateral between corporation, just keep that in mind.
Enjoyed working at Microsoft. Got to update my skills while working. Management was great. Did have a lot of work at times but there was also slow times during winter.
Senior leadership easily distracted by new shiny things. Tendency to abandon users. Uses small lay-offs weekly to manage headcount. Frequently innovates then surrenders that innovation to competition.
I could find things to complain about, but compared to other tech companies I've worked for, Microsoft is leagues ahead in terms of how much I've enjoyed myself and my professional growth. Yes, the culture can be a challenge to navigate sometimes, and yes I was caught up in one of the big layoffs, but I'd go back to work there in a second. Most everyone I met there or worked with was at least as smart as I am and generally good people. I prefer the Microsoft I first met and worked for in the early 2000's to today, as it's more of a generic company with fewer perks and personality, but it's still the best place I've ever worked.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Microsoft?
Nice company to work.I learn the technologies. Good work life balance. They respect and treat employees in a better manner . I recommend this company.
I was a contractor. No job advancement. I was lucky that the team I worked for was very happy with me, so I worked in the same team till I decided to change for advancement of my career.
Overall it was good working with excellent talented teammates throughout the years. However, the problem I found to be most vexing came from management and the organization. When they shake up the teams or change policies, there is no guarantee that your position will still exist, or if it does, you might be left with no clear direction. On top of that, managed service and contract employees, especially in test, are not often given the chance or consideration for FTE positions even when performing the same job. There is a large amount of bloat in the company. Those with powerful positions and office culture influence will, at times, surround themselves with friends rather than those qualified for the positions. The uncertainty of career advancement may make this a dead end for some people.
Couldn't recommend The Coalition more! Amazing people working on an amazing game franchise. I don't have any negative feedback to mention regarding my time there.
I enjoyed my time working at Microsoft. They treated the tester's with respect. The work/life balance could have been a little better as I was working a swing shift but over all it was worth the time that I put in there.
Get in early and read emails to see if there were issues over night if there was solve those issues. Learned a lot about New tech and how to setup the equipment to make dev happy and get their coding done. Hardest part was trying to explain to developers that what they required for their testing env might not work. Meeting the brightest minds at the time.
Pros
New tech
Cons
at time long hours
The politics and processes will likely drive you insane if, like me, you are a "just get the job done" worker. Showboating is the only way to get ahead there. That's just not me.
Pros
good benefits and stock options back then
Cons
way too much politics
Microsoft has cafeterias on site, plenty of challenging work, genius level people to work with, and good pay. Cafeteria on site, Free cold beverages and Starbucks coffee.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, Free cold beverages and Starbucks coffee.
Cons
work/life balance
- Good company but depends on team and team leader - Good benefits and work environment - Need to work hard for newbie - Should be good at communication to increase visibility
If you're lucky enough to land on a team with a good manager, Microsoft will be one of the best places you've ever worked. If you land with a bad manager, and there are plenty of individual contributors who should never have been promoted into management, you're next move is to get out.
Pros
Good benefits, vacation, decent food on campus, discounts on products
Cons
Managers are not always great
Glad I worked there. You will find a spectrum of people with diverse interests and knowledge. Work is very challenging with mostly flexible hours depending on the team.
Leads like to stir up competition between individuals and teams but overall the teams collaborate pretty well within a discipline. Leads are very supportive regarding training and skill development. Benefits and bonuses were average. Pay and promotions don't keep pace with competitors. Good place to start a career. Don't stay too long.
  1. Software Test Engineer