Ministry of Defence Singapore

Ministry of Defence Singapore Employee Reviews

Learn new things almost every day of my work years thereUnderstanding Boss, Coaching Boss tooFriendly and Helpful ColleaguesFun and Good Learning Work EnvironmentWork-Life Balance
I find it memorable to be in my workplace. I was able to learn and experience professionalism at a high standard. I became what I am today without my peers and supervisors help.
Pros
Manageable
Cons
Travelling time
This review is for a unit at Kranji Camp 2 block 9XX Severely shorthanded. usually, 4 jobs for 1 person is already difficult, this place assigns 10 jobs to 1 person. Rush to wait and wait to rush is really the culture. waiting to rush 10 jobs is unreasonable. You get free parking and if lucky free lunch, but it does not outweigh the 10 jobs to 1 person. Bosses talk a lot and task a lot of strange things to all the wrong people simply because the department is shorthanded but they refuse to acknowledge the lack of manpower. Figure it out along the way, there is close to zero mentorships and zero support because nobody has time. back to the point of severely shorthanded. promotions come by every three years or so. If you want recognition through a promotion don't be a DXO. Finally, don't be conned by the title of "Manager" sometimes there is nobody to manage even if you are "Assistant Director".
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
don't respect you as an individual. All expected to herd with the boss
Les collèges et la culture du lieu de travail sont très agréables.
Responsible to carry out preventive and corrective maintenance on aircraft avionics components. Deep expertise in the aircraft avionics system and knowledge of liaising and communicating with external contractors. Great team work among colleagues to achieve objectives set.
Pros
Work life balance
very structured environment with wrong set of expectations. talent development is slow. if you want greater things, fight for yourself or just leave.
A typical day at work for me will be covering an activity as i am a medic. I will need to be able to attend to any medical emergencies if needed. I have to keep myself always updated and have to know my medical protocols well. The workplace culture was friendly and also productive as we used to test each other and improve our skills and also do admin works to help our senior medic. The hardest part of the job would be to cover 24 hours and outdoors but it was also fun and exciting for me.
Pros
geting to know new skills
Cons
stable and structured environment. Good environment to complete job tasks. minimal supervision. lots of supervisors to show care and concern to you. able to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
Learnt great deal on time management, work under stressful situations, prioritization, managing people (conscripted soldiers), resourcefulness, endurance, resilience, overcoming challenges, camaraderie, team work, analytical skills communication skills. The hardest part of the job is, career progression and obtaining satisfaction in job performance. Too many red tapes and appreciation is hard to come by. Most enjoyable part of job will be the friendship and strong bonds forged over the years.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Limitations on career progression/ further study options
This company helps to build my discipline & also motivational success, it’s rules & regulations helps to mould a person to become stronger in mentality & also gives the power & fighting spirit to move on for a higher challenge
Pros
Free lunch & accomodation
Cons
Mindef has set guidelines that can be followed and referred , if need be. Provides basic needs, e,g food and uniform. Many personal development courses for personal upgrades.
Pros
Uniform and food provided
Cons
long hours, many additional secondary appointments.
It begins with an assembly of all relevant team heads to assign priorities and tasks for the current day. It is different everyday with the ever changing demands of the consumers. I have learnt to handle tasks strategically and promptly in order to meet the KPIs required.
Pros
Fast, Dynamic environment
Cons
Long Hours
Good working Culture environment Gets to interact with all departments Good salary benefits and career advancement has provided academic sponsorship studies
- Daily Routine Jobs - Management and HR Skill - A funny place to work with. - To handle those unreasonable customers. - Friendly and fun working environment.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
A good place to build work ethics foundation. Lack of career progression if one does not have a university degree. Stable environment but lack of excitement.
Part-time role but learnt a lot during the short stint, administration. You might have to put in extra effort in learning different skill sets as what you learnt might not apply to the private sectors
Pros
Stable career
Cons
Challenging work
There is no typical day at work. Everyday is different, which is what kept the job interesting. Learned how to manage workload properly given the nature of the job. Work culture wise, is good but not great, as with all workplaces, it comes with some politics but nothing major. Hardest part of the job is the sense of urgency, which can be somewhat stressful at times. The shift hours also affects your social life due to no weekends/public holidays. The most enjoyable part of the job are the friendships and camaraderie, and also the job satisfaction after a days work.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Shift work, no public holidays or weekends
1) Interaction with different stakeholders 2) Prepare training plan and schedule lessons 3) Conduct training and lessons 4) Manage booking system and consolidate reports
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Strict working environment
Top down instruction no alternative Fix routine Red tape to follows No sense of urgency at works place No incentive as no alternative is allowed No sense of achievement
Pros
Na
Cons
No sense of achievement
I'm working as an Air operations system expert. every day I talked to various foreign to coordinate flight landing in Singapore military bases. It's a fun and unique job scope for me. because it's not every time you have the chance to talk to a foreign embassy. It's fun you realise the foreign country people have a different working culture. In this job I learn to be independent, tactful and handling extreme situation. The hardest part of the job is to be tactful yet bring the message across when talking to the embassy as it may cause a diplomatic issue if I say the wrong thing to them. The colleague I have is fun, they treated me well. However, military is not where I wanted to stay for life. I wish to explore the outside world.
Pros
Free lunch, medical benefits in government clinic, travel flex
Cons
Advancement is low, environment is tough
MINDEF can be a great place to work at if one is suited to the job environment. Bosses may be challenging to manage. It depends on your personality and personal goals to prefer staying in MINDEF.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Volatile work environment