Ministry of Defence

Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

Singapore14 reviews
Exposure to many facets of video production and social media content creation and live action production. Had a chance to be on a Navy Ship, chopper and even tell stories while riding in a tank.
Pros
Flexible work arrangments
a place where fitness is not an issue. it is a place where you can always seek help from others in times of needs. you will always work with all types of people with all sorts of personality. Interpersonal skills is a must in that place.
It's a military workplace, with regiment and discipline. Work life balance will be achieved if your place is not on standby always. Otherwise, salary and benefits are quite good.
My day would start with morning briefings by the management and team, going through the operations for the day as well as important updates to keep us aligned and focus with the direction of the squadron.

Morning briefings is crucial in that it disseminates critical information to the team and also picking out any errors that was done the previous day. As safety is paramount and a culture at my workplace, we will often go through any safety messages from the top management in detailed and hold discussions to better reinforced something that is already strong, safety.

There isn't an easy day at work, with constant change in instruction and to react to real time threats, I always thought it is important to have a high situation awareness at all times. This can be done by having strong fundamentals acquired by a good and robust training system as well as having the heart to learn. Being curious all the time goes a long way to improving myself.

However hard the job maybe, comes the sense of achievement after a tough day at work together with my team. Camaraderie and sense of belonging comes together hand in hand by going through hard times with the team. This further strengthened my believe that teamwork is everything to get big things done. Showing good leadership also cultivates the culture of integrity and ownership.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Time away from family
SAF is a learning ground for all levels, given exposure to excel one's potential, focus on staff training for job deployment. Healthy life style to train staff to be fit and healthy. Work-life balance and good benefits for staff and dependents.
Pros
Work-life balance
Enjoy the engagement with potential recruits and the opportunity to help those interested sign up for a career with the Army. A great start for school leavers to build up their confidence.
Assist the CO in arranging meeting. To maintain a smooth flow in the admin work. Doing filing and secondary duties. Arrange the reservists to come back for routine reporting.
Pros
nil
Cons
nil
A great place to learn. I encounter new things and in contact with people of different personality and challenging to handle them professionally. Good place to improve interpersonal skills and both challenging physically and mentally when you handle and try to resolve issues/problems involving logistics, human resource to training resource like food, lodging and transport catering. Can learn a lot and must be able to work well in a team and at times also as an individual when lack of manpower/staff.
Pros
Great employee benefits like leave and medical. A wide spectrum for learning.
Cons
24 hours recallable, Have to report for duty even at odd hours like middle of the night, Must be on 24 hours standby.
They do hire entry-level applicants and there is space and time given for one to learn on the job, in addition to formal learning opportunities. Poor career advancement is a major downside.
I enjoyed working as an intern in the Ministry of Defense. My supervisor and manager mentored me well, showing me the ropes to the trade.

The department's culture was also very friendly and an enjoyable place to work in.
Hours are more flexible as long as work is done. Colleagues and boss are nice. It is still related to the military though, with national security at stake, so there is this somber feel around it.
a place where I have grow up with, being in work, or my personality. Job security and challenging environment.
Pros
independence and freedam to do your job
Cons
long working hours sometime 24/7
Mixture of Conscript military personnel and National Servicemen.

Maintaining the discipline of the soldiers, while handling increasing workload due to shorter National Service Time.

Hardest part of the job is to re-train new soldiers again to repair highly sophisticated equipment within a short time.
During my short period training, I learned that I have to be positive mindset and keep moving forward as compared to my last job 32 years in one US MNC. Though the path is very tough, and I have make to it as to understand the cycle.
Pros
Good employee welfare.
Cons
Transport not convenience.