Ministry of Education Singapore

Ministry of Education Singapore Employee Reviews

When I first started teaching in 1987, the staff was only treated to a Staff Dinner, once a year at a coffee shop. Over the years, the welfare of the teachers have been given more attention by the Staff Welfare Committee in each school as well as the MOE Sports & Recreation Club. In Rivervale Primary School, the Staff Welfare Committee organizes regular activities like breakfast, lunch, in-house shopping, exercises, games, art & craft, cooking and learning journeys.These staff bonding activities are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Engaging staff welfare activities
Cons
Do not like to take part in yoga and dancing
I am working for 24 years in school basic like no meaningful and never help worker to upgrade in other level .only the bosses like them and will like to promote to other level and pay increasing .
Pros
no other benefit
Cons
the working hours was very long
Better management of student's performances needed. Greater adherence to the use of ICT in curriculum advocated. There is a lack of homework especially for Science in some schools as compared to other subjects like Chinese.
Pros
Na
Cons
Admin work
Competitive yet passionable.Working with preschool kids gives immense pleasure.some segments like salary on this review should not be asked as its confidential.
As a admin staff, whenever there is any new system need to learn, Admin Manager will always support his subordinate by arranging training for them, it is very busy when working as a CSO in the office, we must be multi tasking, you don’t only respond to you work area, customer service is also important in school alsoimportant to us
Fast paced, quick thinking, love teaching. Many ad hoc dutues outside from teaching. Willing to do more rhan just teaching. Love to nurture the future gen.
If you are passionate about developing youths and teaching, this is a perfect platform. I do enjoy my job as an educator as I have been equipped with many skills and amazing colleagues with similar mindset. However, the pay structure is based on the qualification that you may initially start off with. The job scope may not be much of a difference between a diploma and degree holder.
My experience at Ministry of Education was overall fun. However, the workload during the last month was rather face-paced and I had to get used to programs that I have never done in order to finish the workload given.
All throughout the years we are being exposed to relevant courses to upgrade our professional skills to be effective teachers. Management-wise teachers are given opportunities to be HODs to manage their own department. School managment meetings are held regularly to manage school affairs.
MOE helps its officers learn, however limiting the scope only to that of education. Officers can improve themselves in their job scope. However, limiting their experience. Work hours are short, but it never ends as preparation starts when you leave the classrooms. There are other administrative work to be done on top of committee work and co-curricular activities. Working with children in fun, and even fulfilling to see them develop into functioning young adults. However, it takes a lot of time and effort, physically, financially and emotionally for these to happen. Management do not often recognise your efforts as they often see the results that students obtain at the end of the year. I was lucky to work with but unlucky to be assigned to underprivileged students in the "last"classes of each year. When you have lemons, you can only make lemonade, not french fries or a happy meal. Hence, after 20 years of slogging it out, i decided to call it quits and work elsewhere.`
Generally you are left independently to teach. However, the school will impose additional duties, some of which may not be to your liking. Overall it is a comfortable job.
Pros
Colleagues are friendly
Cons
Not much room for independent thinking nor a willingness to accept new ideas
It was an good experience working with pupils but being a young male teacher we r most frequently dealing with disciplinary issues n tail end classes which most female Teachers don’t have as their teaching classes. My passion for teaching in an MOE neighbourhood school has diminished over a decade flooded with non teaching duties
Teaching is hard work and fast-paced, but brings about much satisfaction. You need to prepare your own teaching materials and resources. Admin work can be massive too.
Being a Teacher means being a leader and role model to our students. We do our best to provide students positive feedback to encourage and help them develop an appreciation for Physical Education and enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity. Within our department, we always work hand-in-hand to ensure all avenues of the curriculum are met and lessons are delivered smoothly to our students. Challenges we faced daily is the balancing of the different learning needs of our students. Some may struggle with picking up technical sports skills and need extra help. Some learn really well and are able to work the problems out on their own. At the end of the day, when we are committed to passing knowledge and skills to our students with passion, instilling joy of learning to our students and they do learn well; this is the greatest form of satisfaction.
I was nominated for the straits times inspiring teacher of English award by my students and my superiors in the year 2013. I had to take a sabbatical because of my young children. I have 4 kids ages 10-3 and still love to teach and interact with students,
very fast paced working environment and hard to achieve work life balance. Management has to depend on different schools. Alot of administrative work.
Gives a sneak peak into a real teacher's life. You can use it to see if you really want teaching. The teachers will guide you to prepare and observe lessons.
Very busy at work everyday, hardly have time to sit down. Too many tasks to handle everyday. The job scope is too wide. There is not training for the job.
This role is a poorly designed opening by MOE especially for mid career switch personnel. This role is without opportunity for a career path and advancement due many grey areas and ambigous KPI assessment for promotion. At the same time, the AEDs were expected to fulfill the role of a teacher in schools, without the competitive benefits and remuneration package.
Pros
Holidays aligned to school terms
Cons
Poor management, KPI assessment and career prospects
Although we start our day earlier than many professionals, it gives us great fulfilment to see our students enjoying our lessons and have fun in school! Our management is constantly being supportive of what we do and give us advice and directions when we need help, and that's our culture - the culture of Care. The hardest part, which is also the enjoyable part is to put in the extra mile to help the students in reaching their goals and seeing them succeed in life!
Must be willing to sacrifice time Must be willing to listen to the children Must have the children's interest at heart Toughest job is to take a graduating class weak in results and have behavioural problems. Easiest job is to be a full time PE teacher.