Ministry of Education Singapore

Ministry of Education Singapore Employee Reviews

Singapore29 reviews
When I first started teaching in 1987, the staff was only treated to a Staff Dinner, once a year at a coffee shop. Over the years, the welfare of the teachers have been given more attention by the Staff Welfare Committee in each school as well as the MOE Sports & Recreation Club. In Rivervale Primary School, the Staff Welfare Committee organizes regular activities like breakfast, lunch, in-house shopping, exercises, games, art & craft, cooking and learning journeys.These staff bonding activities are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Engaging staff welfare activities
Cons
Do not like to take part in yoga and dancing
Fast paced, quick thinking, love teaching. Many ad hoc dutues outside from teaching. Willing to do more rhan just teaching. Love to nurture the future gen.
If you are passionate about developing youths and teaching, this is a perfect platform. I do enjoy my job as an educator as I have been equipped with many skills and amazing colleagues with similar mindset. However, the pay structure is based on the qualification that you may initially start off with. The job scope may not be much of a difference between a diploma and degree holder.
My experience at Ministry of Education was overall fun. However, the workload during the last month was rather face-paced and I had to get used to programs that I have never done in order to finish the workload given.
MOE helps its officers learn, however limiting the scope only to that of education. Officers can improve themselves in their job scope. However, limiting their experience.
Work hours are short, but it never ends as preparation starts when you leave the classrooms. There are other administrative work to be done on top of committee work and co-curricular activities.

Working with children in fun, and even fulfilling to see them develop into functioning young adults. However, it takes a lot of time and effort, physically, financially and emotionally for these to happen.

Management do not often recognise your efforts as they often see the results that students obtain at the end of the year. I was lucky to work with but unlucky to be assigned to underprivileged students in the "last"classes of each year. When you have lemons, you can only make lemonade, not french fries or a happy meal. Hence, after 20 years of slogging it out, i decided to call it quits and work elsewhere.`
Generally you are left independently to teach. However, the school will impose additional duties, some of which may not be to your liking. Overall it is a comfortable job.
Pros
Colleagues are friendly
Cons
Not much room for independent thinking nor a willingness to accept new ideas
It was an good experience working with pupils but being a young male teacher we r most frequently dealing with disciplinary issues n tail end classes which most female Teachers don’t have as their teaching classes. My passion for teaching in an MOE neighbourhood school has diminished over a decade flooded with non teaching duties
Very busy at work everyday, hardly have time to sit down. Too many tasks to handle everyday. The job scope is too wide. There is not training for the job.
Must be willing to sacrifice time
Must be willing to listen to the children

Must have the children's interest at heart

Toughest job is to take a graduating class weak in results and have behavioural problems. Easiest job is to be a full time PE teacher.
A great start for anyone who wants to teach children or teens. School hours are long for a committed teacher. A good place to contribute to the community for anyone who yearns for that life goal.
Pros
Ministry
Cons
Ministry
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ministry of Education Singapore?
MOE is a government body that looks into Education for the state. It has a very structured process and many opportunities to grow and develop one's capability.

It has invested in state of the art IT facilities and systems that we in the Administration department has to continuously learn. The systems allow very little error or fraud.

As a Manager, I have to ensure that these systems are understood and rules and policies are strictly adhered to.

Managing the school budget has also me to mature and grow when making decisions and planning,

As part of the management team, planning and organizing is my primary task.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
Long Hours and Weekends
It was a rather meaningful part-time job, which I knew I had not only made contributions, but also improved my understanding of teachers' hard work of marking students daily homework, especially those who teach Chinese in primary schools.
Pros
Flexible lunch times
Cons
Long hours of sitting at desks
Young and vibrant workplace. The team is led by a workforce who are young and follow processes and procedures diligently. The flexible reporting in time benefits those who need the morning hour to settle family matters.
Pros
Greta company
Cons
Young workforce
Meeting students from both primary and secondary level. The managers handling the research assistants were nice and even though deadlines were imposed, flexibility was also utilized to accommodate our needs.
I get a sense of satisfaction dealing with kids in a day to day basis. Everyday I get to learn a new thing. It is challenging and never boring. I learnt to be more patient and be prepared for unexpected situations always.
Pros
Fun and satisfying
Cons
Nil
Work life balance must be maintained. In recent years, there have been too much focuson administration red grapes that teachers' quality teaching time are taken away from students.
Pros
Students showing their appreciation
Cons
Exam oriented. very fast paced and stressful. Paper chase.
unreasonable parental demand. Too many competing demand on teachers and lack of focus on the kids.
Pros
pays well
Cons
lack work life balance
I learnt to work and cooperate with staff from other branches in this big organization. Job training workshops are purposeful.
Pros
Good working environment at Ministry of Education Singapore building
Cons
overseas job opportunities lacking
-good salary
-improve on presentation skills as audience differ all the time

-improve on observation skills since you are facing at least 30 students each time

-job progression faster
I was overworked but in Singapore, the trade-off was the quality of living. Would gladly return to the French School of Singapore in around 2 seconds.
Pros
Great food. Fun colleagues. Interesting cultural diversity. Spoke French daily.
Cons
It was a lot of work as a teacher.
Nice colleagues, able to interact with people, cheap food, managable job scopes, able to wear PE attire to work, however, the salary is low and there is no career progression.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Education Singapore. Our community is ready to answer.
Ministry of Education Singapore Reviews by Location