Ministry of Education Singapore

Ministry of Education Singapore Employee Reviews

Singapore169 reviews

Great learning Environment

You are given various responsibilities so you can learn a lot. Many perks in terms of salary. Many schools have great staff welfare plan in school however, work can be quite demanding.

Pros

Great PD

Cons

Supportive environment yet high workload

Supportive and passionate colleagues. However the workload is high. It's not unusual to be working overtime, and it can be difficult to have work life balance.

Enriching and Collaborative

My experience in MOE was enriching as I have learnt a lot during my 2-year stint. They also have a collaborative environment where everyone shares ideas and is willing to help each other.

Moe is great

Pay a bit Low and need to OT with secondary appointments. There were a number of vacancies at my time but now things may have changed due to the Low demand

Supportive workplace

Gained useful exposure to how functions of the department operate and what a typical day in the workplace is like. Good learning experience overall.

Depends on school

Full of red tape and protocols Experience depends heavily on the school you are sent to and the school leaders therePoor work life balance Spend more time with admin work than the work you are actually hired for

Fun workplace

Learned to create lesson plans for primary school students of various levels and subjects. Provided with opportunity to conduct classes independently. Mentors are helpful in providing feedbacks and ways to improve.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Work may be repetitative

Great Career, but political

The job and all is really good and fun. The kids are the best part of the job. It is just about your luck. If u end up in a good school, u will get good management, good parents, good people. Not fun at all if the school you had micromanage u. Diploma n degree holders do the same thing but degree holders get paid more despite their performance. A lil bit unfair.. Besides that I really enjoyed working there.

Pros

Benefits, good career progression, exposure

Cons

long hours, some micromanaging HODs/P/VP

nil

I am working for 24 years in school basic like no meaningful and never help worker to upgrade in other level .only the bosses like them and will like to promote to other level and pay increasing .

Pros

no other benefit

Cons

the working hours was very long

Not as interesting as it once used to be

Better management of student's performances needed. Greater adherence to the use of ICT in curriculum advocated. There is a lack of homework especially for Science in some schools as compared to other subjects like Chinese.

Pros

Na

Cons

Admin work

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ministry of Education Singapore?

Staff Welfare

When I first started teaching in 1987, the staff was only treated to a Staff Dinner, once a year at a coffee shop. Over the years, the welfare of the teachers have been given more attention by the Staff Welfare Committee in each school as well as the MOE Sports & Recreation Club. In Rivervale Primary School, the Staff Welfare Committee organizes regular activities like breakfast, lunch, in-house shopping, exercises, games, art & craft, cooking and learning journeys.These staff bonding activities are the most enjoyable part of the job.

Pros

Engaging staff welfare activities

Cons

Do not like to take part in yoga and dancing

Vibrant environment but competitive

Competitive yet passionable.Working with preschool kids gives immense pleasure.some segments like salary on this review should not be asked as its confidential.

Strongly support from Admin Manager while working as a team in the office

As a admin staff, whenever there is any new system need to learn, Admin Manager will always support his subordinate by arranging training for them, it is very busy when working as a CSO in the office, we must be multi tasking, you don’t only respond to you work area, customer service is also important in school alsoimportant to us

Nil

Fast paced, quick thinking, love teaching. Many ad hoc dutues outside from teaching. Willing to do more rhan just teaching. Love to nurture the future gen.

Be adaptable to changes

If you are passionate about developing youths and teaching, this is a perfect platform. I do enjoy my job as an educator as I have been equipped with many skills and amazing colleagues with similar mindset. However, the pay structure is based on the qualification that you may initially start off with. The job scope may not be much of a difference between a diploma and degree holder.

Fast-paced, but fun workplace

My experience at Ministry of Education was overall fun. However, the workload during the last month was rather face-paced and I had to get used to programs that I have never done in order to finish the workload given.

MOE provided opportunities for training and professional advancement.

All throughout the years we are being exposed to relevant courses to upgrade our professional skills to be effective teachers. Management-wise teachers are given opportunities to be HODs to manage their own department. School managment meetings are held regularly to manage school affairs.

Great working with children, but not with the adults

MOE helps its officers learn, however limiting the scope only to that of education. Officers can improve themselves in their job scope. However, limiting their experience. Work hours are short, but it never ends as preparation starts when you leave the classrooms. There are other administrative work to be done on top of committee work and co-curricular activities. Working with children in fun, and even fulfilling to see them develop into functioning young adults. However, it takes a lot of time and effort, physically, financially and emotionally for these to happen. Management do not often recognise your efforts as they often see the results that students obtain at the end of the year. I was lucky to work with but unlucky to be assigned to underprivileged students in the "last"classes of each year. When you have lemons, you can only make lemonade, not french fries or a happy meal. Hence, after 20 years of slogging it out, i decided to call it quits and work elsewhere.`

Colleagues are generally friendly

Generally you are left independently to teach. However, the school will impose additional duties, some of which may not be to your liking. Overall it is a comfortable job.

Pros

Colleagues are friendly

Cons

Not much room for independent thinking nor a willingness to accept new ideas

No comments

It was an good experience working with pupils but being a young male teacher we r most frequently dealing with disciplinary issues n tail end classes which most female Teachers don’t have as their teaching classes. My passion for teaching in an MOE neighbourhood school has diminished over a decade flooded with non teaching duties

Nil

Teaching is hard work and fast-paced, but brings about much satisfaction. You need to prepare your own teaching materials and resources. Admin work can be massive too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Education Singapore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Ministry of Education Singapore