Ministry of Education logo
Ministry of Education

Ministry of Education Employee Reviews in Kingston

Kingston27 reviews

Found 27 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,101 reviews

Much effort was spent in training and support for curriculum implementation.

The Ministry of Education through Education Officers provide much support for school leaders. Communications systems were also well established. As such at all times there were avenues for receiving and giving assistance.

Pros

Job Security and benefits

Cons

Long hours, inadequate technological, human and physical resources

I enjoyed interacting with the students and adults as the sessions were engaging and the teachers were motivated to learn and grow. The Ministry of Education ensured that I was well trained to help the staff and students.

A lot to learn

I have not worked at this facility for several years, so unfortunately I cannot comment much. Also I only did job experience there which was only few days.

you feel like you are a part of the whole

I have work with the Ministry of Education as a classroom teacher , A special Education teacher and a Principal .This has been the most fulfilling work I have done. I have learnt that children are so different in nearly everything yet so alike and needs varies. It has taught me humility . I enjoying the moments I could play games outside with the kids.

Very interesting place

A typical day would be from mildly busy to super busy, I learned about time management there, teh culture is a bit diverse, hardest part would be completing all task on time within the minimal amount of time you have to complete it. Most enjoyable part is customer satisfaction and sports day

Pros

Very helpful

Cons

Can be very busy so long wait time

Workplace Culture

Employees are very hardworking for the most. Many are not being awarded or recognized for their contribution to the entity. They are demoralized and victimized because they exercise their free will to speak and disapproved of managements attitude towards them. But, the experience is invaluable as it relates to self development and perseverance. Your are thought to be a survivor and a fighter, and to inspire to rise to the top through all the adversaries.

Pros

Getting valid experience and training onthe Job

Cons

Having to work with superiors who are unethical

Great Place to Work

Great place to work while raising a family. great place for upward mobility . Managers are helpful working environment great . employees are recognized and rewarded for there work

Pros

good healtcare package

Cons

can inprove on salary

Productive and demanding working conditions.

Collaboration among managers and team members is good. Overcrowding affects student teacher ratio. Ongoing staff development workshops allows teachers the opportunity to learn new strategies and understand changes and improvement in education. Sharing of best practices was strongly encouraged. An overall good place to work.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

No pay overtime

A typical day at work

My work week /day began on a monday morning at 8 am and ended at 5 pm ,Ideally i began teaching at 8:30,mathematics ,first session ,45 minutes then social studies for another 45 minutes.Language Usage would be next ,inclusive of spelling and vocabulary drills,for another 45 minutes.Breaktime is at 10:15 to 10:45.

Pros

free lunches for needy students

Cons

specials classes for students improvement

productive

Working there was a great experience well balanced day. I learned how to work with time while building my skills and craft. The management system was smooth. Workplace culture Jamaicans. Hardest part of the job was the location. Most Enjoyable part was doing my job everyday.

Pros

Free lunches & balanced break-time

Cons

Stairs

work environment is very quite

It's very ethic and you have to be moving fast to process the information. The hardest part is making sure no mistakes were made with the result of the student grades.

Pros

salary benefits

Cons

Working with this company can be both rewarding and stressful

Working with this company has its ups and downs. One has to be on Target at all times with the many pressure from parents, students and administration

low energy

This is very political. Allot of red tape and thing take long to be approved or implemented. When sending a request you would need to send it to several persons before it gets actioned by the right person

Productive, fun place, excellent colleagues

Work was hectic. We had administrative duties but our first priority was teaching. We had to plan cultural events for our students and workshops for our parent body. We also had to attend periodic seminars/ staff development sessions in order to stay on top of our game in terms of formulating strategies to ensure our students grasp concepts being taught. From time to time as team leader of the Welfare Committee I (with the help of my team members) would organize an evening of games for staff only, staff and parents and staff, parents and students. Our students entered various competitions such as debate, track and field, spelling bee, dance, cricket and football to name a few. As teachers we had to be skilled in the various areas in order to successfully train our students. These are a few of the things we do at our institution.

Teacher

Being a mathematics teacher to high school student involves various activities. On a daily basis you have to try and demonstrate the significance of mathematics in everyday live and how having a good grasp of this subject will help each and every student for the rest of their life.

great place to work in teaching children and preparing them for a better future.

the education system is critical in any country for the well being and growth of our children. hence, it is the most important stage in a persons life. the system and curriculum is designed for excellence and once applied, students should be successful.

Pros

holidays with pay

Cons

inadequate resources

Very good but salary could be better

Good job in terms of work week. All weekend and public holidays off. The salary however, could be better. The days at work are spent teaching children ages from 6 to 12 years old. It's a fun job and a honour to be a part of nation building.

Pros

Pensionable

Cons

Low salary

Professional and family environment

working with the ministry under different leadership provides room for growth. it allows you to build and improve on your talents. it allows democracy in all areas however administrative decisions do take at sometimes interests in mind.

Good Place to Work

The Ministry of Education is a good place to work. A typical day at work involves assessing children with learning difficulties or behavioral problems, and assisting in their intervention program. I have learnt that children and people can overcome their difficulties if they get support. The most difficult part of the job is its heavy workload. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that you contributed to improving the live of a child.

Teaching in Jamaica is a wonderful experience. The kids love you if you love them.

Jamaica is my home country, and a beautiful island. Working in the schools was a great experience as you get to touch the lives of so many individuals. The hardest part of the job is being met with disrespect by some of these kids, and seeing the parents not taking a stand and reminding the kids the benefits of respect throughout life's journey. The most enjoyable part of the job is the love you feel for these kids, whether they are disrespectful or not; just wanting to see them reach different milestones of success throughout their career building, sharing with them success and failure, laughter and tears. Just helping to mold and prepare them to be future leaders give you great satisfaction and joy. Seeing their success later is even a greater feeling of achievement for you as teacher. Fact is, salary does not give you this kind of peace.

Pros

Great kids with great minds.

Cons

Big classes of 40 or more students.

noble institution with high academic expectation

Environment clean with friendly co-workers, so we would share experiences with each other. Too many children in one area so they get restless at times, the hardest part. I enjoy children in action concerts showcasing their talents. Principal a democratic leader.

Pros

certain stationerys
  • Ministry of Education