Ministry of Education logo

Ministry of Education Employee Reviews in Port-of-Spain

Work-Life Balance

Found 21 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,099 reviews

good benefits and pay

good benefits and pay. But demands are increasing and unreasonable. During the pandemic you are required to risk your life or lose your job. You are also expected to use approx 10% of your salary on resources.

Pros

paid sick leave and health insurance

Cons

Unreasonable demands

Great place to start you career but limited security or room for advancement

Opportunity to work with different populations, functional autonomy, clinical supervision and paid vacation and sick leave are all great benefits. There is a poor relationship with HR so there is little job security and untimely payment of benefits

Healthy Enviromnent

Every day there is a task that must be completed before the day ends the workers and I would have finish the tasks but never stress even in pressured situation . The hardest part would have been the gossip towards co-workers.

Pros

Refreshments offered during deadline

Cons

Unnecessary Gossip

I enjoyed a most wonderful time in teaching in Elementary schools.

I taught all the subjects on the curriculum to the class that I was assigned to. The students ages' ranged from five to fifteen. The students were lovely to work with. They were motivated and well behaved. They enjoyed the schoolwork. Management varied from one school to another. Generally the management was very good, even under the most stressful conditions. Beside teaching class, I was also the Physical Education Teacher. This meant that in each school that I taught in, I had to teach Physical Education and carry out sports programs for Sports Day. I drew up all the events, and had to choose out all the finalists who would be participating on Sports Day. On Sports Day all the parents and teachers came out to participate in athletics. Beside all this I taught cricket and soccer to the students of each of the five schools that I taught in, and then we competed against other schools. In each school that I taught in the schools moved up in their grading in their districts. The most enjoyable part of the job was to teach the students their academics and sports, and to see the schools improve in their grading in the various districts.

Pros

I enjoyed a fine time with the students and their parents

productive organization

All days consist of a steady flow of work with many deadlines to meet. There are no slow periods there is always work to be done. From this job i have learnt how to properly manage my name in order to meet all deadlines. Management is efficient at times but there is room for improvement. The culture of the organization is one of productivity, not much friendly relationships among heads and lower level staff. The hardest part of the job is nothing. I t is manageable. Most enjoyable part is the few events where everyone(all sections) gets to come together and get to know each other.

This school's program facilitators are some of the best in this program. There is a high pass rate at the CXC level and it's due to the dedication of

This is a part time job so there isn't much interaction with administration. The name of the school is St Augustine Secondary School and the afternoon program does very well in terms of success rate.

Pros

The administration staff is very supportive

Cons

Pay isn't on time.

For those with a love of children and teaching this is the right environment for you. Utmost patience is needed to qpro with students to ensure they reach their educational goals.

This institution has good potential to function well if top management were properly trained and suited for the roles they performed .

The job environment was very competitive. Management decision making policies were at times divisive and without proper structure. This created some tension among some staff members. Overall it was a good place to work. Staff members were professional most times, and cooperative. The job at hand was completed despite the many challenges of lack of resources and proper supervisory guidance. This was a fast paced work environment with many clients and many responsibilities. The work place culture spoke to a mixture of collaboration and competitiveness.

Pros

Overall dedication to clients

Cons

Conflicting management styles

Typical Day

a typical day can be stressful, there are limited resources, the best part of the day is the morning period, it is a time that a lot can be accomplished.

On the job Training

This was my first O.J.T job and it was not too bad. I did learn more about computers, printing and faxing. I made new connections both professional and socially. The working environment was both a learning experience and caring for others. Daily routines included faxing, emailing and printing for your supervisor, just being that extra support that she may need to complete daily task. This division dealt with delegating school supervisors.

Pros

Being apart of the educational team

Cons

My contract could have been extended

Not enough services to assist client population. especially people in the rural areas.

A typical day at work involved working with teacher and students to improve their life circumstances. Also the parents of the children. thruog closely net working with other agencies to assist them. her one learned to use oneself as a tool to motivate and empower the client population. Management only proffered assistance by-weekly at meetings held with staff. Located far away from the actual workplace. the hardest part of the job was to attend funerals of the children who died either by accident on the road or in the home, or from domestic violence.

Productive workplace but no benefits

A typical day at work includes me greeting staff members and parents, answering the telephone concerning queries from the public, completing reports that have been assigned for the day, data entry and filing. I have learned how to keep my stress level on a minimum and how to deal with irate parents. My manager/principal is very easy to work with. She complements me constantly on my efficiency and work ethic. The workplace culture is one that is a mixed staff of both men and women but there are more women than men. I love my job and I love when challenges are thrown at me. There is no hard part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is completing my assignments on time and seeing how satisfied my manager/principal is with my work.

Pros

Flexible lunch hour, Time-off given

Cons

Healthcare, Salary

Great place to work .

I do love the experience this job affords me especially from the perspectives of improving the education system our country offers while creating a better place for our students.

Productive place to work

I work for the EFPPD unit who were a friendly close knit bunch of people on an open floor along with other units who were friendly and the DPS. every birthday, anniversary or career advancement was celebrated with extreme vigor and happiness. Since the department i worked with dealt with school repairs and so on the major work load came during vacation periods when schools were closed. However, during school times there always was a steady stream of work as school repairs for the upcoming vacation would be sorted out.

Pros

community

Cons

a bit laid back

Any interesting place to work

A typical day at work is basically me doing my secretarial work. I"ve learned to deal with persons who like to be in charge but can't handle being in charge. For the most part I get along with the majority of my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is being micro managed by the second in charge. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to use my events management creativity which I really really like.

Pros

My end of term limes, planning bazaar, organising treats for universal children's day etc.

Cons

no room for advancement, no job security, no pension

Ministry of Education is generally a great place to work at the entry level. There a numerous resources which help mold a young individual to be prepared for the world of work.

Overall Good Company

Days typically start with projects Time management Management is always available via email Coworker are assigned to individual tasks Lack of resources and initiative by management Accomplishing tasks on time

Pros

Educational Advancements are easy to accomplish due to time flexibility

Cons

Slow advancements and not enough is being done to bring the organization into the 21st century

Very Productive

A typical day on the job usually requires one to demonstrate the ability to be flexible and dynamic in light of short comings which may present itself in the delivery of the national curriculum. With years of experience I have developed the ability to manage my class effectively as well as communicate with co-workers positively and in a very humane manner for the benefit of all. The hardest part of job is having to function in classrooms which are separated by whiteboards and speaking in very loud tones to ensure that all students are able to hear you in delivering the lessons. The most enjoyable part of the job is involvement in extra curricular activities where the kids are able to really enjoy what they do and not have to compete for a mark but are recognized for their efforts.

productive and friendly environment

do what is required by completing and submitting assigned tasks. Greet members of the public in the most respectful and polite manner and meeting their needs and effectively dealing with all concerns. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and being able to help them in what ever way possible and satisfying their needs. the hardest part of the job is set backs to completing an assigned task due to other workers not able to work efficiently as effective team players. or when work machines break down (copy machines) etc.

Pros

work with motivating supervisors

Cons

health care, no ovetime

i believe with alot of adjustments the system will be better appreciated by teachers

I am a very hard working educator i am actively involved in the arts and always finds ways and means to keep students engaged in my subject area.I have been taught various skills so i am nit only limited to teaching dance, as i can also teach beauty culture, art, drama and i love assisting in the management of the school as i held the position of dean of discipline in many institutions i have taught at. i just am of the belief that as an educator in the Caribbean your opportunities are quite limited and i will love to further my tertiary education in another country so i am seeking now to find a suitable employer that will be also convenient to the universities i have applied to

Pros

vacations

Cons

lack of management

Excellent environment for work

Review the goals for the day and work on record and forecast for my classes. I learned how to impart knowledge using the weaknesses/strengths of the boys in my classes. I enjoyed interacting with my co-workers, both during the day and at break times. The hardest part of the job was marking papers, entering progress records and forecast for each student. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing how my students progress, even the most difficult ones.

Pros

Help young boys to have direction in life

Cons

Too much time off
  • Ministry of Education