Ministry of Education logo
Ministry of Education

Ministry of Education Employee Reviews in Kingston, NY

Found 12 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,100 reviews

Yes this was a productive and fun place to work

I have worked there for 8 years and I have enjoyed working with the team that was in my department I have gained so much from them. Working there was a very like a family workplace. If I was offered a job back there I would not hesitate to go back and I honestly recommend persons to work there.

Pros

free lunches when there are functions

Cons

need to pay workers more for the hard work

Work Review

Work at Jamaica's Ministry of Education is always very exciting as there is usually much to do. Meetings to attend, colleagues to engage and assign tasks, schools to visit, parents to consult with, and preparing for press conferences and other events. I have learned many important lessons over my tenure in the Ministry of Education, namely, working as a member of a team, sacrifice beyond work hours in order to complete special or urgent assignments, and knowing when to take a break from the demanding work schedule. The workplace culture is one oriented to a high level of industriousness and rigor. Generally, the staff are friendly and try to respond to the needs of clients in a timely and effective way. The hardest part of the job is meeting targets with limited resources, but in spite of these challenges, I have been encouraged to do my best. The most wonderful thing about the job is the satisfaction I derive from helping others to fulfill their potential- teachers in improving their teaching and students in improving their academic achievement.

Organized

They are very organized and things are done orderly. They are doing an exceptional job. The co-workers are very kind and helpful . . . . . .

Quite balanced as it includes fun activities as well as challenging ones. This depends to a large extent on the individual's ability to manage.

A day at the workplace can be very rewarding at times, once the day's activities that were planned turned out well. However, at other times it can prove to be quite the opposite, stressful and challenging. It is in times such as these one needs to be alert and employ strategies that will counteract these situations. Your managerial skills will be tested at this time. Tolerance, team-work,getting along with others,listening to others, showing appreciation for them,are attitudes that will allow individuals to cooperate. These skills will allow the organizational goals to be achieved and are learnt/ acquired overtime. The most difficult part of the job is disunity especially among co-workers. This behavior causes the organization to suffer as the goals cannot be achieved, thus production will be low. Most enjoyable part was having everyone working together in harmony, as this is very imperative for organizational growth.

Pros

Available Health Insurance, incentives based on workload, holidays

Great place to learn. lots of room for advancement

Very professional environment. Excellent opportunity to advance. Supportive colleagues. Learnt about many different government procedures and policies. Paid travelling mileage.

Pressuring but productive and fun with lots of social events.

Well in this current unit since my first Boss left. I feel there is growth or self-actualization. There is no cohesiveness and which is braking down the unit. But the overall Ministry is a fun place to work, strong confidentiality is required to perform our daily duties. Most important is being apart the Education System Transformation Programme in aid of developing, implementing and maintaining, strategies for the betterment of the education system in my country.

Pros

Tertiary assistant, health benifits

Cons

limited upward mobility

I like my job working on the National Literacy Team and i have gained a lot of experience.

A typical day at work is very productive in that your job description already stipulates what your core duties are so as a teacher/reading coach you plan your lessons/activities for each day therefore at the end of the day your goals/objectives for the day is 95% complete. For the most part of my job I have learnt to be tolerant, patient and self controlled. I have also learnt to work with people with different moods, attitudes and socio-economic backgrounds. As a Teacher/reading coach the job requires that you work collaboratively with the principal/all stakeholders. My co-workers are fun to work with they try to work hard at whatever task they are given. The hardest part of the job is for some of the teachers you're supervising to comply and be consistent in writing their lesson plans. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day when the teachers, students and everyone as achieved.

Pros

Yes i don't buy lunces at some of the school i am treated for the day.

Cons

There are no cons

Fun and productive

The day can be very tiring but when you enjoy what ever you are doing you do not feel tired. I have learned to manage my time, I have learn to deal with conflict among the children and I also learn how to get along with my coworkers.My co worker are very helpful and motivating. the hardest part of my job is to tidy up the classroom in the evening such as sweeping and fixing the desk and chairs. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I teach a lesson and all my students are in to it or when I give a test and the results are very good, especially for a child that is working below his/her level... wow its a great pleasure when I see that child get a B.

Knowledgeable Staff

It was fun working with and giving valuable input to Educators across the island.Typical work days were long and tiring.However the knowledge gained and the planning and Organisation skills developed are worth the effort.

Pros

Variety of skills displayed with regards to Education strategies, techniques and Curriculum Development.

Cons

Long working hours, Little resources by the Government.

After work recreation center

A typical day at work begins at 8 am , with a devotional prayer followed by the clocking in of workers , the production becomes my main focus as my policy is what you put out is what you get in , with surity that each worker begins the day in a happy and productive manner , production machines begin, the processing and packing room begins almost as soon as production starts , its then to the sales department where sales men and creditors are attended to with fast pace as each is about to be assigned to their routes , with that out of the way , the main office is my next stop , cash and thre scanning cubicles is monitored and each sales representative starts the queries etc, moving to and fro from departments ensuring that all is done , my greatest part of the job is evening cash check off , where our daily sales proved that all was in order , and my clientele seems to get better each day.

Pros

Free day each month for less fortunate kids

Cons

safety tips

Goal-directed, result-oriented and stimulating

A typical day at work involves a set of clearly defined tasks to meet a fortnightly payroll deadline. Such a day involves constant interaction with both internal and external customers. Consequently, one of the greatest skills learnt is customer service skills. Working in an environment with co-workers who display various values, attitudes and beliefs, added excitement. Management maintained balance between internal and external customers. The hardest part of the job would be appeasing a disgruntled customer regarding salary issues, especially if request for payment was made through a third party. The most enjoyable part of the job would be exceeding a customer's expectation whether internal or external customer.

Pros

Subsidized lunches, free daycare facility

Cons

Access to affordable health care

Productive workplace

This was my first job so I enjoyed it thoroughly. I learned how to value your work and take responsibility for it. There was some scope for advancement but again it was monotonous

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Monotony
  • Ministry of Education