Ministry of Education logo

Ministry of Education Employee Reviews for Guidance Counselor

Work-Life Balance

Found 7 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,099 reviews

Excellent Place to Work

I loved working with young people. It was truly a wonderful learning experience. As with any job there are draw backs but clients always gave me a reason to smile.

The Ministry of Education is an awesome place to work. This institution helps one to develop the skills necessary to achieve excellence in their career life as well as their personal life.

Worked collaboratively with all the stakeholders in the best interest of the students.

I employed a team approach in service to both educational institutions. Emotional intelligence was always used in relating to staff and students. I have learned valuable lessons of motivation, strategies and control by my interaction with the various stakeholders. The culture was different from mine, therefore cultural sensitivity was used in dealing with the students and their families. This approach was successful in addressing the needs of all the clients. The hardest part of the job was not having access to resources to assist the clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was celebrating the successful outcomes of the clients, whom I served.

Dynamic and challenging to the goal oriented.

Required exceptional communication skills,tact and professionalism. learnt the art of diplomacy at its highest level. Keep it professional at all times Grief counselling with children with a dead parent. Making clients laugh/feeling hopeful.

Pros

in-service training, health care, overtime, coffee / lunch breaks.

Cons

limited equipment, poor communication

A work environment where respect to all levels of worker is practiced

A typical work day begins with devotion. There are often timetabled sessions which are interupted with emergency cases which takes priority. Being a middle manager, i work closely with the management team, resulting in efficiency, productivity and job satisfaction.I work closely with my co-workers, evidently i cannot carry out the program on my own, their support is paramount in the success of the guidance program. The hardest part of the job is planning a program so strategically and the students show little or no interest in the deliverly.However the most rewarding part of my job is to have pass students reurn to the school and say how greatful they are now for the guidance and counsellling they had received.

Flexible and fun, where continuous education and professional development is encouraged and supported

A typical day at work is very high demanding with multiple counselling session, either classroom or individual, consultations with teachers, deans, principal, vice principals, or parents.I have learned the importance of listening, and documenting all interactions. My organization and networking skills have been enhanced through Career Day planning and the need for self care is of absolute importance.My immediate supervisor is rather understanding and excellent at leading, he guides you to improvement rather than be a dictator thus creating a wonderfully calm work environment.My fellow Guidance Officers are very knowledgeable and willing to share wisdom and experience when approached.The most challenging aspect of the job is Child Advocacy. This is because the structured system creates difficulty in promoting a well rounded student.The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with students who are my main clients. They make the job worth it.

Demanding, productive and flexible workplace.

Meeting the call of duty and the demands of students daily creating a warm, relaxing, comfortable and fun filled environment and meeting students needs.Not to give up on students even when they refuse to accept the need for change/improvement.Has excellent relationship with management and co-workers. Provide guidance and support to management and co-workers.The hardest part of the job is to work with challenging students who do not recognise and accept their need for change since parents encourage and facilitate the challenging behaviours.To work with all students and see them blossom as forward thinking and responsible members of society.

Cons