Montrose Environmental Group, Inc.

Montrose Environmental Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ehh alright place to learn some stuff

On the emissions testing side of things. Great entry level job to get your foot in the door. Better suited for younger people as the travel can be extensive. You can really learn a lot as you are thrust into pretty important roles. The disconnect is with upper management. I've met my boss one time since the company re-structuring 3 years ago. They also don't seem to hire new employees as of late, and let experienced ones walk away because they are hard headed. Good "job" not necessarily a career.

Pros

Vacation time, industry experience

Cons

Management, travel, medical benefits, drug tests

Management has an effective walk-the-talk practice that allows for collaboration between groups. Good work culture.

Montrose is an entrepreneurial consultancy. You should be personally motivated and self-driven to succeed—regardless of your roll. If you are, you’ll do fantastic here are they are great to acknowledge results and reward hard work.

Pros

High support

Cons

Can’t think of any worthy of mention.

Great coworkers with a familial feel at the office level.

A great place to work, especially if you are single and just out of college. Stack testing isn't for everyone. You are out of town a lot, so you can't have a regular schedule of any sort during the week. It is also a very physical job at times, and you will work at heights throughout the year, hot or cold, rain or snow. The pay is descent and you hardly have to work on the weekends.

Pros

tightknit group and weekends off..usually.

Cons

Lots of sleeping in hotels and hard to have a regular routine.

Secure job, terrible environment

Working as a field technician, you are outside 10 hours a day no matter the weather and climbing up and down tall metal towers. While you do feel a sense of accomplishment for helping keep the air a bit cleaner, you learn very quick that people above don’t care about the environmental aspect of the job as much as they should; that’s all I’ll say about that.The culture at the job is insanely highschool-like. Gossip like you’d never believe it. I was only around for a few months and saw multiple people come and go. In fact, I saw more personell stability when I was working in retail.

Pros

Job security, workload security

Cons

Culture, pay, management

Great company but low pay

In my personal experience, this has been a great company to work for. I've had nothing but positive interactions with management, they're always there to offer assistance when needed and make sure that things are running smoothly. The work environment is laid back and there is no micromanaging, therefore, employee morale is fairly high. The company offers good benefits, paid sick time, paid holidays, and vacation time. With that being said, compensation is low. I think most people who come to work here use it as a way to gain laboratory experience and then move on. If they offered higher wages, I think people would be more willing to stay. Overall, it's a good company to work for, employees are treated well and the environment is positive, but with the lower than average wages, it's a good place to gain experience before moving on to something else.

Pros

Good management, good benefits, company lunches, laid back environment

Cons

Low pay

Supportive company

Great work experience. Pushes you to learn. Accommodating to work/life balance. Growing company. Unfortunately my location closed due to situations outside their control, and they were not able to offer me a new position in my area.

Fun place to work

You don’t get paid fairly, but flexible schedule,Fun and helpful co workers but workload is sometimes unorganized.Tobacco company so you are exposed to nicotine hardzards

Great Coworkers, but it will consume all of your time.

I worked for this company for 2 years. I was drawn to this job because of the traveling and the benefits. I felt reasonably compensated for the work. YOU WILL ONLY HAVE TIME FOR WORK, NO FREE TIME. Due to severe understaff, everyone is pushed to their limits. you will become very close to your coworkers.

Pros

Coworkers, benefits

Cons

No free time

Decent job, pay was okay, but this is mostly a job for an active outdoors person

Stack climbing M-F, lots of physical labor, longer days, can get pretty boring sitting up on tall stacks in all types of weather. Great co-workers but the job itself was tough for low pay.

Pros

Great co-workers, solid company structure, understanding manager.

Cons

long hours, low pay, physical labor, work in all weather

Great place to work!

I've worked here for a while and enjoyed almost everything about the job. Great coworkers, good atmosphere, flexible work-life balance, good benefits, and promotion opportunities.

Pros

free lunches, time off, floating holidays, annual bonuses, fun atmosphere

Cons

Coffee maker isn't great

Great place to start.

Due to the way the company grows, each facility has a different culture so it's difficult to give an overall rating. The most consistent thing across facilities is that there is more work than people to perform it without becoming a little overwhelmed. This is a great place to start but staying requires determination.

Pros

Advancement opportunities, fairly good work environment if you land in the right facility

Cons

They will absolutely overwork you if you allow it.

Consistent work

Projects were consistent and managers for specific team were very helpful. Big company overall but small team feel when hired. Very hands on work is fulfilling.

Overall Good

Good place to work to get great experience. Fast paced and no two days are alike. Lots of initiates. They strive to accomplish a lot. However sometimes there needs to be more planning. The culture needs some help with building a diverse and fair workforce. Company grows quickly and no two days are the same.

Pros

great support from team/managers, opportunities for growth and learning, great co-workers

Cons

potential for silos, some closed mindedness

Terrible company that lacks integrity and leadership

Absolutely terrible company. No integrity, lacks safety and accountability. HR will always side with the corporation no matter how many complaints they receive. High turnover.

Good place for first time lab job/experience but not for a career or a person with ambitions

It's a fine place to work for a while, maybe fresh out of college looking to gain some laboratory/science experience. You mostly do the same thing in the lab, whichever method you are trained in, get the data and put it together. Biggest plus is hours, you can be very flexible in your schedule. Management is poor, because if they were not, the good employees would not leave which is what happens usually and why there is a high turnover rate. The ones who work hard and sacrifice a lot for the company end up moving on because their work doesn't get recognized or rewarded by higher ups. What is the point of having managers/group leaders if they can't distinguish between an actual good employee/person from a poser.

Pros

Flexible hours, Monthly lunches

Terrible Place to Work

High turnover rate and terrible management. There is a lot of favoritism and politics. It is not how good of a job you do but how hard you brown nose. They also try and pay you as little as possible.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Alot

November 16, 2020
It does not seem like Montrose was the place for you. Our talented employees work hard; are paid well; receive superior benefits and contemporary time off policies. I do hope your next role meet your expectations. Kevin Gill Sr VP HR.

Unique Job not for everyone

Lots of travel with long hours. Never go anywhere overly interesting, but build strong bonds with the people you travel with. Very busy during the summer but slows down in the winter.

August 17, 2020
We do hire the best and the brightest and that makes for a great Montrose Team. Our work does require overtime during peak times of the year and we try to ensure those applying for our jobs know that coming in. I appreciate your feedback. Kevin SVP HR

Good coworkers, bad leadership

The work and projects can be rewarding and there are some great coworkers. However, the turnover is high and upper management seems tonedeaf and more concerned with rapid company growth than with the employees. The company always seems to be playing catchup with their own growth.

August 17, 2020
Dear CA Montrose Employee, I am very interested to learn more about your observations. I can be reached at HR@montrose.com Kevin SVP HR

Generous PTO policy and work day flexibility

Montrose, as a whole, is a decent company to work for. However, they tend to focus more on profit than employee or customer happiness. Montrose started as a small company that purchased smaller companies to merge and become a larger corporation. As of the time of my departure, they still did have a clear goal and business model.

April 9, 2020
Yes, Montrose has a growth by acquisition business model. We strive to acquire great companies and continue to leverage that which has made that company successful, while integrating them into Montrose. In all cases it is a focus on customers and the development of employees that will continue to make Montrose and its acquired companies successful. Kevin Gill HR SVP

Don't work here as a Technician if you can help it !

I have worked as an Field Technician here for about a year now. I would not recommend working in this role here unless you don't have alternatives. Pros: - 4 weeks of paid vacation per year. - Excellent benefits package. - You get to learn a variety of methods of air emissions testing. - Most coworkers are supportive and will help you. Cons: -Managers can pass abusive/derogatory comments and unfairly blame technicians for mistakes. -Some coworkers are big-time bullies who will try to harass their less capable counterparts. -Work hours are too long (average day is 10 hours long). - Endless twists and turns and unexpected complications regardless of however much one plans ahead. - Teams rarely use to-do-lists, so sometimes they end up driving miles back to the office from far away locations in order to get missing items. - Work as a Technician is very physically laborious (climbing stacks as much as 300 feet high, often several times). Other tasks are also physically laborious, such as loading equipment in trucks. -Work often requires extreme attentiveness to detail and exceptional listening skills. - Technicians often have to work in extreme heat/cold in refineries, which have very high noise levels. - Very high percentage of travel, sometime to locations 11 hours away. -New lunch policy is inflexible and one frequently ends up paying for lunch from one's own pocket. -Testing equipment frequently malfunctions.

April 9, 2020
Thank you for highlighting that Montrose has competitive pay and benefits, as well as a focus on employee development. You are right - some of our jobs do require working outside, climbing heights and carrying equipment. We allocate time during the interview process to ensure new hire candidates are aware of these requirements. Given you are still employed at Montrose, I would value a conversation to learn more about the points you offer in the posting. Please contact me at HRCorp@montrose-env.com. Thank you, Kevin Gill HR SVP

Harassment From Management

Wrongfully firing and harassing of employees on a daily basis. The only good part about this job was the fellow chemists who made it enjoyable to come to work. Other than that, stay clear of this place both as a customer and employee.

April 1, 2020
We do have very talented, high performing Chemists. Seven hold PhDs, six hold masters, one has an MBA, and one is certified in Cytogenetics. They coach and mentor the more junior employees. As to the matter of harassment, Montrose has a zero tolerance for this type of behavior. Please reach out to me direct at HRCorp@montrose-env.com to discuss in further detail. Kevin Gill HR SVP

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Montrose Environmental Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Montrose Environmental Group, Inc.