National University of Singapore

National University of Singapore Employee Reviews

Singapore296 reviews

A relaxing and chill workplace

people are generally nice and chill. people are more intellectual than outside and value smartness . cheap food around campus and many talks and lectures that you can attend after work

Stressful and political environment

There are a mixture of good and bad colleagues. Hierarchical and toxic workplace with lots of daily meetings. Management cannot make up their mind on the processes. Kept changing roles and processes. Mirco managing environment. High turnover rate.Colleagues belittle you if you do not have certain qualifications and/or previously not an Auditor.

Pros

Good benefits, Affordable canteen food

Cons

Toxic environment, high turnover, emotionally taxing

Low pay and no career progression

No career progression and low pay. Doing mundane work such as data transcription and coding for the employers. Work that is meant for students to do to get some part time income.

Nice environment

working there is relaxed and not pushing, colleagues are friendly and nice to deal with, but wish they could increase the pay for research staff, it is too low for now

Highly dependent on the office

Work is highly dependent on the office you are in. At my office, there was no work life balance and the managers were often pushing work and blame to subordinates. Environment was toxic and not welcoming. Salary was average for fresh grads. No AWS and extremely low yearly pay increment. Other than that, university-wide efforts such as wellbeing day and being able to knock off earlier on some Fridays are some of the nicer benefits.

Not great

Bureaucracy is rather prevalent but your experience would really depend on the department. Great salary to work as a student. Some jobs are chill, some are not.

relaxed environment

Work pace is quite relaxed, since the professor does not check on you that much. How much you work accomplished each day is entirely upon your plan. However the pay is poor compared to the private company

Pros

relaxed work culture

Cons

poor pay

internship

cons: internship was slightly below average for uni grads (<1k), department was understaffed so i often see my managers working long hours to pull workload or responding to work even on leave. admin side had some delays in the processing of my pay.pros: gives a lot of autonomy to interns working on projects, inclusive of new ideas and likes to hear our opinions. depends on department but mine was collaborative in nature & everyone was nice and helped each other out a lot. a great learning opportunity as an intern.

Senior executive

Slow paced environment with no micro managing. Colleagues working in silos and is work is manageable. However, you will need to figure out how to do things on your own initiatives

Productive and relaxing working environment

I found it was pleasant working for NUS All staff were very friendly and helpful. I will consider working there again if given an opportunity.Regards.

Productive and fun workplace

Your experience will differ depending on which department you join. In general, NUS offer excellent benefit packages and has good work-life balance. In certain roles, there will be no AWS and has bonus capped at 1 month

A good place to learn

Did multiple parttime internships throughout my undergrad years. PIs I was assigned to were great mentors, I learnt a lot from them. Can't say much about the benefits as I was paid hourly.

Fun place to work and truly performance oriented.

It has good work culture and you can do a lot of good work. Facilities and labs are well established. This is the right place if you want to do a collaborative research.

strong research institution

provide lots of funding for researchbut the competition is intenseAcademics and supervisors are knowledgeable and supportive. The University of Newcastle provides a scholarship which includes health insurance, living allowance, and tuition fee for PhD candidates.

Pros

research support

Cons

competition

Friendly environment

I like working in NUS .I was a research Assistant from 2019 to 2020 in Alice Lee Centre for Nursing Studies with A/Prof Piyanee Yobas.It was nice experience for me.

Good to stay

As the topic suggested, NUS is a good to stay workplace where you can achieve your passion in academia, so stay lah, very nice place, good for life stay

NUS is great for research positions

As a researcher, you are working at a prestigious institution. Depending on the group that you go, you get to learn a lot from conducting resarch to presenting them. The standard is quite high and I would definitely recommend to anyone.

Good work life balance

Good work life balance.Nice culture and colleaguesNice food around the vincinity. Able to learn more about the culture of University and the education system.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Slow process

useless university

Stressful environment Microbiology and Immunology department was worst the PI was very bad. No advancement in the carrier so my recommendation is not to join the Microbiology and immunology department of NUS.

Pros

No free stuff

Workplace is fun

Everyone is fun to be around and they provide a very clear goal of what they want to achieve so that we all can work towards the goal together. It makes my life very easy.

Working at NUS

It was a very different experience from my first job, which was in Social Services and handling children with Special Needs. This time, I had the opportunity to work with Students at the Higher Education level, and that too as the Scholars Engagement Team Lead. As such, the execution of job responsibilities required more thought; as even casual exchanges could potentially lead to colourful, in-depth discussions.

Pros

Teamwork-oriented work environment; Stable

Cons

Different departments may handle issues, with differing management styles

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National University of Singapore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• National University of Singapore
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?