Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Showing all 3,780 reviews

Supportive workplace culture

This is a typical commission only job, so you get what ever you put in. However, training is top notch. You get all the tools you need to be successful and you receive great support when needed. All you need to do is ask.

CSR role is only there to help the Field Reps

When I was interviewed for the role they were not transparent that this role is basically for rude Field Reps who call in and expect you to do their job. When you advise management about this problem they honestly don't care. In the short time I was there they expected us to do tasks that a new hire shouldn't be doing until they are on the job for at least 6 months. The pay is good and they provide a remote option but frankly the condescending tone from the field reps is not worth it.

Legal pyramid scheme

They set you up so that you have to bring in a senior advisor for every case that you do this also requires you to give up 50% of the compensation.You need to bring in 75 clients within one year or they terminate you. By splitting the commission you also split the client credit. So if you bring in a senior advisor for everyone of your 75 clients you actually need 150 clients to pass their sales minimum.They give you zero leads and expect you to sell products to your friends and family.If you aren’t scared of burning bridges and or ruining relationships with your friends and family then this is the job for you.If you’re a half decent human being who values respecting others then this job isn’t for you.

Great place to work one that values work life balance.

I have enjoyed my time here so far, I took this job because I desired more of a work/life balance and to be able to spend time with my family. Hardest part of the job is hearing a client tell you no whether on the phone or in the actual meeting. The culture is very accepting and encouraging.

Upper Management

Upper Management wanted things to be done their way or no way at all. Different advisors need different approaches to their individual client specific needs.

Your Experience Will Vary Based on Location

The company itself is wonderful, but your particular experience will depend on what network office you join. I have colleagues in different states whose experiences are completely opposite and better than the one I had. For our region, hustle culture and always being pushed to do more despite of your accomplishments (which, by the way, were nearly never celebrated) was the name of the game. Towards the end of my tenure with NM, my immediate manager cared much more about bringing in money than he cared about the reps doing what was right by the clients, and it was an easy decision to leave. Again, this is a tremendous opportunity if you don't have a family, and if you're the type of person who wants your work to really define who you are as a person. If you value your time and a life outside of the company, you will fight an uphill battle.I think the biggest downside that I've seen was that a recruiter will sell you "the dream." They'll tell you all about the freedom you can have, and that you'll run your own business...and then very early on it becomes apparent that you do NOT run your own business -- you will do what you are told or your contract will be terminated. At best, it's a bait and switch.

Building a career

Overall, the company has a focus purpose and that’s to give the client a great customer experience. However, I do believe the workload can cause a strain on you if your a slower worker. If you enjoy fast-pace & work to keep you busy, this is the perfect job for you.

As an intern, this is a huge step into insurance sales but requires a lot of time and strong network.

The culture is professional and my advisor was very helpful and pushed me outside of my comfort zone in order to succeed. This experience was an amazing start to learn about sales and finances, but does require A LOT of work. I will warn this internship is not for everyone. To succeed you need to have a strong network before you start or ability to meet a lot of mew people. It definitely takes GRIT to keep at it because you need continuous referrals in order to stay in business. There are factors that make this position more difficult for some specifically age, race gender, etc. This is more about the prospect clients and people you will meet networking. As a young professional it was difficult to connect and set meetings with Boomers and overconfident men. I have found people are uncomfortable talking about their personal finances.Overall, I enjoyed the company and my advisors but it does require a lot of work and may not be for everyone.

Pros

Strong Sales experience, Helpful Advisors/culture, Networking Sales

Cons

Commission only internship, A lot of work, can feel like you are struggling

You're basically a life insurance rep

At NM a "Financial Advisor" = "Life insurance rep"You make no money, unless you sell life insurance. Their whole business model is based on how many people, you can sign on for life insurance. You get zero leads from the company and rely on friends and family & their contacts to generate leads, business/money. Don't feel special if you are reached out by NM. They recruit 15+ people every other month because the odds are, only 1/15 will actually succeed. People were dropping like flies, consistantly.

Great Team

Great team environment depending on who you work for. Overall, office energy was great, work was overwhelming at times but during times where we had to crunch for goals. I enjoyed the years I spent with the company.

Quality of work life depends on which facility you worked at

I worked an NML as a contractor. Had a great experience in downtown Milwaukee, but the opposite experience in Franklin. Downtown, its a team atmosphere. Happy coworkers. People have autonomy. I had amazing leadership, who made work fun. We may have had 40 people on my team, but we all pulled together to finish our project months early. People talked, engaged, and actually enjoyed work. However at the Franklin location, work felt like prison. Training for my second position was rushed and poorly done. Three days of classroom style training, with 2 hours a day of job shadow. However, I never had a computer during training, and they had me job shadow with someone who wasn't even doing the job I was there for. It felt almost as if I had worked with two separate companies. This in no way reflects on the products, sales teams, or overall quality of service NML provides. However I would never return to the Franklin location even if offered a well paying position.

Pros

In the Milwaukee location, my team worked ahead. Had amazing leadership. Work was fun, rewarding. Friendships were made. Everyone was willing to work as a team.

Cons

In Franklin poor work environment, short breaks, felt like a prison, and when I was asked to interview for a position my interviewers showed up 20 minutes late

Great opportunity to advance your career but no stability

This is a great place to work if you have existing prospective clients but if not, I would not recommend this job. It is commission only so if you’re not making deals right away, expect to be paid little to nothing.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Commission only

Great Culture and Potential for Success

Great office culture, you really feel included here. Training program is top notch. It is a commissions based job, so hard work is required but the company and office do all they can to set you up for success.

I liked working here. Compensation was pretty poor due to it being completely based on commission aside from a stipend of $100 a week. Great culture and environment

High Volume and High Reward

If you can keep up with making 40 calls a day and practicing your sales techniques daily, you will be fine.Rejection has to become your friend for this to work.Company does a great job of telling you exactly what you have to do to be successful except it's not easy.

Pros

Great Culture, reliable products, strong benefits

Cons

No referrals provided

Good workplace

Everyone here wants everyone to succeed. A great company to work and gives you the opportunity to make as much money as you (entirely up to you). The managers make sure that they help you and guide you to be successful.

I had 4 supervisors.

Make friends or you are gone. Since I left management has early retired / let go many over the age of 50 workers. I know several people that happened to. They want young faces.

horrible business model

They constantly pressure you to sell to friends and family and vocally talk about not caring about helping others but are only interested in signing someone up for a big premium.

Rewarding for putting in hard work.

A very good and well known company. If you are self driven and able to push yourself, this can be a very rewarding poisiton with the potential to earn a lot. One downside is leads are not provided so you have to be very proactive in this role.

Fantastic culture & compensation for hard/smart work. Making an impact.

This is a place for people with a growth mindset, that value flexibility AND hard work. The culture of the company is the best I have every been a part of. I am able to make over 6-figures, and I am in my 3rd year with the firm. The first year was the hardest. I took a slight pay cut, but now I am able to make an impact on clients, helping them reach their goals, while making money and an impact on my family.

Pros

Income, Impact, development, culture

Cons

Starting a business is hard, but NM provides you with the training, You need to be able to listen and lead.

Good people

Most everyone here wants the best for clients and it shows. The people are friendly and technology is consistently getting better. I enjoyed working here most days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Northwestern Mutual