OCBC Bank

OCBC Bank Employee Reviews for Financial Consultant

Financial Consultant17 reviews
Singapore17 reviews
Great learning curve in a fast paced and stressful environment. Lots of training are provided from industries experts to assist you in your daily activities.
Staff’s benefit is very good. But I was experiencing unfair treatment from my manager. It is very demoralising especially we are dealing with high level of stress every day. No work life balance
Over the years of working been accumulated, gained and achieved plenty of services and sales experiences. This job gives me plenty of opportunities and exposure to further improve myself here.
Learning new things daily.
Compliance and to stay vigilant.

New exposures daily,

Gets to meet new people daily.

Friendly and conducive environment,

Good management.
Right place, right time - perfect opportunity.

Life is good only when you can meet and exceed sales targets. Potentially working on weekends due to the retail nature of work.
Pros
Deferred stock options realised after 3 years, quarterly commissions after exceeding salary hurdle rate.
Cons
Expect to work on weekends and potentially public holidays. 12 hour days are typical in most cases.
Ocbc Bank was my entry level job. As a personal bamker i learned alot in working life and investment opportunoes. Benefits were well in the bank and i had an enjoyable stay
Accounting opening and pitching to customers about products. Workplace is competitive. Hardest part is to hit targets. Most enjoyable part is everyone works hard together.
A lot of human interaction daily, and i have learnt you have to be sincere in what you are providing in order to maintain a long term relationship.
'Stay True' is what it has been emphasizing - for us to be transparent, integrity and truthful in everything thing that we are doing. I would say interaction is the most enjoyable part of the job and i get to meet different people from different parts world.
Sales environment was hierarchical and competitive.
Back office staff were nice and helpful.

Front sales staff were all very competitive.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at OCBC Bank?
The job scope that I work in OCBC is too general. I was hired as a sales staff, but i have to handle no only sales, I have to handle customer's issue and complaint and provide service to all customers in OCBC. I cannot focus at sales at all.

I am looking for the sales job which is only produce sales and handle my own customer but not all customers if there is issue happened. The job scope like this only can focus on sales and bring more revenue for company.

Besides that, I also also looking for the job which is not related to sales. Example, Marketing research/Survey, Executive, Business Development.
Pros
Salary is high
Cons
Long hours, job scope too general
Worked there for eight months, and the job culture is very focused on work till you drop.

General feedback from staff and management is that if you weren't staying back past your normal working hours, you weren't working hard enough. Sales targets were tough, requiring you to hit all product baskets otherwise you don't get commission.

Lack of work/life balance, Lots of overtime hours which were not compensated for
Pros
Ability to earn uncapped commission if you are successful
Cons
Lack of work/life balance, work till you die culture
Everyday meet people from all trades, learnt how to handle different level of customers and able to communicate and rapport with them well.
Being a Personal Financial Consultant with OCBC Bank has built in me exceptional self-discipline and enriched me with the perseverance to succeed in ever-changing circumstances. A typical day at work comprises of maintaining banking relationships with both existing and new customers - opening bank accounts, fixed deposits, cross-selling of investments and wealth products to suitable customers and tele-calling to fix offsite appointments with customers. The hardest part of this job would be the long working hours, which is honestly quite debatable, as long hours and hard work often equate to better results. Nevertheless, this job has equipped me efficiently with positive skills to perform efficiently in my next job. I have built excellent customer service skills from interacting with customers from different segments, outstanding self-discipline from planning how to reach my goals and having the motivation to do so individually and most importantly, as a team with my colleagues. The biggest takeaway from my time as a Personal Financial Consultant is the motivation to never give up. We can fail many times but know that success will come.
Pros
Interaction with customers from different segments, self motivation to hit sales targets, working as a team for a better conducive environment
Cons
good place to learn skill set as trainings are provided and low walk in branch will train us on different types of objections.
Pros
good money
Cons
no work life balance
If you want to sell insurance but you don't want to be an insurance agent. This is the bank for you. Personal Financial Consultants are sales staff, expect them to sell you what suits you apart from the provision of services over the counters such as opening of personal and corporate banking accounts. This is the job of sales front line service staff.

Challenges will be faced such as meeting your targets and it depends on whether your branch is a high walk in or not. If the latter applies to you, expect to make more appointments through teleconsulting and closures to come from such avenues.

Remuneration is reasonable if you are a good sales person, if not you are probably working for long hours i.e. 7 days a week at times. Productivity is your sales closure.
Pros
Good medical benefits and others
Cons
Servicing bank clients on a daily basis, to solve any problems and enquires they have, making sure that their trip to the bank is fruitful and leaving the bank happy.
Company equips all staff with knowlegde with many hours of product training in order to provide the best services to customers.

Co-workers are the best people to be around with.

The hardest part of the job is to meet with targets at very tight datelines. Targets includes prospecting for customers and increasing the company's revenue.
the bank provided us with a lot of training and most of them are relevant to our job scopes. co workers are amicable and helpful. working hours, however, due to sunday banking, were a little erratic and unbalanced.
the most enjoyable part of the job is that we get to meet a lot of people on a daily basis, very challenging.