OCBC Bank

OCBC Bank Management reviews

Singapore170 reviews
I was undergoing training for the first 3 months and was eventually let go due to failing role-play test which was considered critical as my role as a financial advisor.
The bank has a very bad integration with supporting departments (eg, credit team is not able to provide an indicative financing amount but instead they will ask how much does client want) Poor business foresight by higher management and they do not value and groom staff (the management does not provide the necessary resources, resources are heavily skewed to a handful of people)
No foresight and is always constantly firefighting. Constantly rush to be the first in the market by only addressing the current problem without thinking about the problem that might face in the future and then rush to fight fire when a new one arises
Cons
Good management, productive and fun. I learned to communicate effectively, interact with the professional culture. The bank is connected to overseas and regional partners.
Environment is good, bosses and colleagues are also good. Schedule can plot yourself if your officer is good. Unfortunately, health is not a priority when u are in frontline because they'll make you feel guilty for falling sick.
Pros
Good benefits good pay
Cons
Lots of cold war, politics
Staff’s benefit is very good. But I was experiencing unfair treatment from my manager. It is very demoralising especially we are dealing with high level of stress every day. No work life balance
Great employee benefits. However management needs to set the direction clear for employees. Supportive team members.
Able to learn independently and grow professional knowledge.
A typical day is busy and exciting as you do not know how your day will be like.
Management put a great emphasis on doing the right thing at 1 time, always empathize with customers and make customers walk out of the bank happy.
Work place culture is an acquired taste :) Need time to get use and work along together.

The hardest part of the job is customer always right even being ridiculous. The enjoyable part of the job is the payday time!
Pros
Good welfare benefits
Cons
must ask customers to rate your services as excellent
good in Job Work, good Life Balance, good in Salary and Benefits, fair in Job Security/Advancement and fair management level and traditional job culture
Great place to work but you have to be a little proactive. Time management is the most important thing here. Rules are very strict across the Bank globally.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at OCBC Bank?
Despite my efforts to like the bank, I left somewhat burnt out. I'll qualify first that the pay and bonuses were promising (though I didn't stay long enough to reap the latter), and job security is a given as long as you hit your targets.

The section I entered was filled with new hires who were given a system that suffered from an aging list of bugs and enhancement requests, with barely any handover. In addition, they lacked history with the system, and lacked guidance on how to perform basic maintenance tasks. Colleagues in other sections would try to help, but were limited due to their own workload and unfamiliarity with our system as well.
The manager "parachuted" in was also bogged down with other systems of his own to oversee. I feel that the whole situation could have been managed much better.

Aside from high-level documents, documentation of persisting production issues was sparse and poor, and during my time at the bank, we resorted to taking down notes as we went along. Outsourced technical support came from an overseas team, also a fresh team who did also not know about the history of the system, compounding to our difficulties in reining the issues in.

To compensate, we would regularly work 11-hour days to fight the fires, with the overtime hours being ignored (the claims filed never got approved). During my time at the bank, it was clear that overtime was the norm, with even seasoned veterans (>20 years' experience) working beyond official working hours regularly. We were also expected to stay back to perform maintenance late at night if the system required
 - more...
Pros
Pay and Job Security.
Cons
Overtime, Mismanagement, Understaffed Department
Would really appreciate if they could give their employees chances or opportunities for them to grow. The hardest part of the job was to face different type of people in the management with the office politics.
OCBC Bank is a performance-driven compensation package so staff can focus on your work. There is a recreation club for staff to relax and unwind during lunch or after work. They also provide executive health screening annually. Lots of team bonding activities. provides career mobility opportunities across the bank's different business units, subsidiaries or even country offices; from Consumer, Corporate and Private Banking, to Treasury, Securities, Insurance or Investment Management. OCBC Bank welcomes innovation and encourages continual learning and development. Overall a fun yet conductive work environment.
Pros
It has employee's interest at heart
Very hierarchical but expected.
Work life balance is not very good.

Career advancement not as easy as other banks.

Steep learning curve.

Management generally is capable.
Friendly and Collaborative Colleagues
Risk Adverse Management - Difficult to propose new ideas.
High amount of manual processes. IT system needs and upgrade. This handicap gets in the way of meeting business objectives.
Learning new things daily.
Compliance and to stay vigilant.

New exposures daily,

Gets to meet new people daily.

Friendly and conducive environment,

Good management.
A typical day at work would include replying customer's general enquiries as well as solving some of the less complex problems they have with their bank accounts and services.

The hardest part of the job was interacting with elderly customers as it was hard to understand and interpret their problems. This was therefore a good opportunity and self-check to ensure that I knew my responsibilities and work thoroughly so that I was able to pick up on little cues and identify their problems.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the more professional and senior bankers. It was very insightful to hear their experiences particularly because I aspire to be a banker myself. I also enjoyed interacting with them as they shared tips and advice for my academic life and post-graduation as well as they journey and progress from a student to a full-fledged banker.

Although the management was weary to assign us with more work, due to the risk and scale of activities involved, I think I was able to gain their trust and help out with more intermediate tasks such as drafting summary reports.
Pros
Learning from more senior bankers
Cons
Good Luck, if you get the bad managers say goodbye to your happy life. And most of them are bad, acting like a boss not a leader. They will stretch out the most out of you and blame you if you dont meet the deadline. You will die working here and they wont even appreciate it. Stay away.
Pros
Near mrt green and downtown line
Cons
Very very bad management
Handled daily processing and data input of customer requests on a timely basis
Accounted for documents received and performed day-end reconciliation

Supported resource learning and delivery through Management Operation System (MOS)
A typical working culture,the hardest place to work, workplace culutre not good ..learn Control M and DataStage servers working ,
Management is good .
Pros
nothing
Cons
Long Hours
A typical day at work involves different activities, including, vendor management, problem solving, user management and many others.
It is a fast paced environment which includes long hours and constantly being on-call for service requireement
Cons
Long Hours.