OCBC Bank

OCBC Bank Employee Reviews

Singapore170 reviews
Stressful at work with colleagues that are helpful to help with your work at the same time demands you to get work done to their expectations and steep learning curve for those without experience.
Easy start up for people that dont have any banking/finance background. Fast progression, good sales depending on which branch you posted to. Very decent pay, in fact, is consider high for poly fresh grad. Good welfare and ample annual leaves!
Pros
Plenty of annual leave and othwr staff benefits
Cons
Limited things to learn after some time
My colleagues were great, very respectful. Multicultural company. Job tasks were interesting eventhough they often were challenging. Business hours were OK
Very hierarchical but expected.
Work life balance is not very good.

Career advancement not as easy as other banks.

Steep learning curve.

Management generally is capable.
Its pretty good for a local bank. As compared to others which might be heavy on the office politics side.

Also, very friendly environment.

Love the people there
Many employees are satisfied with working for OCBC, they enjoy working with their colleagues and managers, there is always alot to learn and opportunities for growth.
Friendly and Collaborative Colleagues
Risk Adverse Management - Difficult to propose new ideas.

High amount of manual processes. IT system needs and upgrade. This handicap gets in the way of meeting business objectives.
We just do reports for the different case scenarios given for ROME & SIBS, do a step-by-step screenshot to help the managers clearly identify where the error is and if there are any improvements required within the system.
Current bank is good. Being with the bank for more than 13 years and I think is good time to Look for better opportunity to maximise my potential. Not a job hopper.
Learning new things daily.
Compliance and to stay vigilant.

New exposures daily,

Gets to meet new people daily.

Friendly and conducive environment,

Good management.
Here, the wide variety of life skills learned and obtained is useful for a lifetime. Core skills such as ensuring customer satisfaction, dealing with complaints and all makes the job one as a stepping stone for lots of positions.
The supervisors in the department are very patience and willing to teach. As a intern, I find it easy to communicate with my supervisors and learn a lot from them.
Pros
Good supervisors
Cons
Job is mundane
Great culture! It has a very conducive working environment and colleagues are very nurturing and patient. They are always willing to answer my doubts. Colleagues celebrate the different festivals especially Chinese New Year. I have learnt a lot in the finance department.
Everyone was very helpful, they were all willing to take time aside to teach me new things everyday. I was able to learnt more than my job scope at OCBC bank because of that.
A typical day at work would include replying customer's general enquiries as well as solving some of the less complex problems they have with their bank accounts and services.

The hardest part of the job was interacting with elderly customers as it was hard to understand and interpret their problems. This was therefore a good opportunity and self-check to ensure that I knew my responsibilities and work thoroughly so that I was able to pick up on little cues and identify their problems.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the more professional and senior bankers. It was very insightful to hear their experiences particularly because I aspire to be a banker myself. I also enjoyed interacting with them as they shared tips and advice for my academic life and post-graduation as well as they journey and progress from a student to a full-fledged banker.

Although the management was weary to assign us with more work, due to the risk and scale of activities involved, I think I was able to gain their trust and help out with more intermediate tasks such as drafting summary reports.
Pros
Learning from more senior bankers
Cons
Typical work day and work scope with some ot, slightly bureaucratic as with all other banks, progression may or may not be stagnant depending on department.
I do not have many reviews as I was only an intern for 3 months.

I learnt about the concept of mortgages, hands-on, on creating new credit/debit cards using their new software systems. Understanding their internal control system, so as to safeguard clients' data, that employees may not use them for illegal activities...etc

As an intern, I do not have much responsibilities. And we were given very light duties. Hence privileges, like going home early, and reporting to work slightly later than the rest of the full-time employees, were granted for us.
Pros
Friend-like superiors
Cons
Least skills learnt
Working in the S&T Department during my internship period was relatively rough at first as there were a lot of practical work that I have to learn fast on top of the theory my colleagues taught me. I have learned various admin duties including; batching, indexing and scanning throughout my internship period. After getting a grip on one of the job duties, there is a rotation system in terms of our duties whereby all of us will be assigned to a specific job role in performing the task until its deemed complete. It was a bit difficult at first trying to rotate different job roles and sometimes cover another role in case there is a lack of manpower on that day, however, with constant guidance and good advice from my fellow colleagues in the same team, I'm able to adapt myself to this rotation system that the department adopted and work efficiently with minimal supervision. Being surrounded by colleagues that are very supportive towards each other and putting in their best effort have also more or less motivated me to work hard and I would certainly not forget that period where our team receives an award for constantly giving good result during the monthly quizzes in the department.
Pros
Flexible working time
Cons
Fast-paced
If you willing to work hard and put in efforts you will be rewarded handsomely provided you really work very hard till late hours doing quality stuff and not really bluffing your way with 3 cents gimmicks that are repackaged as real deal.
OCBC gave me many valuable lessons both skill required for the job and also the life lessons from my supervisor. working in OCBC while we hold our professionalism we also have fun in our day to day operation. This makes work so enjoyable.
I started pf as a bank teller and got promoted several times and now i am holding a bank officers position. I reveived many awards as all my customers were very much satisfied with my service. i would like to move on to other field i order to experience them.
Pros
Trainings provided
Cons
Low salary