Pivotal Labs Inc

Pivotal Labs Inc Employee Reviews

Data scientists

Great company, but the role just wasn’t for me. I didn’t enjoy working as a data scientist. The days were too repetitive and there wasn’t enough face time engagement with other members of the team or the clients

Flexibility in work life balance; respect for employee diversity

I worked remotely, but visited the office location to find that employees were dedicated, professional, hardworking, and were committed to the success of the company. Many amenities were provided for the employees--such as breakfast, healthy snack and beverage choices, lunches one day a week. On my visit I was able to experience a group outing to build relationships and teamwork. The workplace culture was conducive in allowing employees flexibility but there was expectations for employees to be productive and work efficiently. Employees were encouraged to bring new ideas and innovation to the table in an open forum.

Pivotal was spun back into VMware

Pivotal... was a great place... filled with great people and a good mission... developement in the cloud. Unfortunately they ended up getting spun back into VMware.

Best job I ever had!

Working at Pivotal has changed my life forever on so many levels. I have never seen a company care so deeply for their employees happiness and well being. Pivotal also strongly encouraged and provided continuous learning opportunities and freedom to expand your growth. We also peer hired for talent and culture fit which resulted in strong united bonds with fellow colleagues whom were more like family. Pivotal strongly believed in diversity & inclusion along with psychological safety. Pivotal is a family not just a company.

Great collaborative environment

Pivotal had a great environment for it's employees with tons of perks to help you be more productive. Also it offered very nice incentives if you did above what was required.

Not Recommended

"Unlimited PTO" that required at least two weeks notice, two approvals and was capped at 10 days (except for some people). The tyranny of structurelessness: Pivotal's company culture is dominated by juvenile, arrogant, toxic, hostile, and unaccountable implicit power structures. They tell you "You don't have a boss." but you do and it's a dozen sycophantic twenty-year-old cronies who don't know how to write software. Fraudulently allocating "Pivots" with limited to no experience as subject matter experts was an absurdly common practice and was rarely if ever questioned. The most obnoxiously arrogant "Pivots" were the ones with the least experience. Pair programming is worshipped as a technical panacea but is actually a venal bodyshop ploy to circumvent accountability and charge twice the price for less than half the mediocrity. The pleasantness of your workday is also closely tied to your "pair's" personal hygiene or lack thereof. Overwhelming emphasis on conformity to silly, meaningless agile cargo cult rituals rather than actually shipping quality working software for customers. Most of the teams don't even practice TDD. Weekly tech talks that were sometimes nothing more than thinly veiled, passive aggressive public shaming of a person and/or point of view. "Pivots" were often eager to publicly shame colleagues and clients at the daily all hands office stand up for any minor deviation from the mindless agile extreme programming cult yogababble. Crowded, noisy, and messy open office floorplan. A few people had a bizarre disregard for personal space -

Great opportunity for growth and development. Great company culture, not perfect but always open to growing and making it better. Great teams across the globe.

Amazing work environment

I've loved everything about working at Pivotal. My coworkers are great - super supportive of me as I've made this career transition into design. The benefits are also fantastic- breakfast every day, etc.

nice place to work good people

i love working there and nice environment. People were very friendly and i would love to go to office daily. Positive Place and management never seen such work place

A decent employer, but not a forever employer

Pivotal has a very specific way of working (XP, Lean Startup Method). As long as you're okay with that way of working, it's a good place, and their adherence to an 8-hour workday (with an hour lunch break) is ironclad. There aren't a huge number of opportunities for professional growth, though.

Didn't work there long enough to review

I moved directly from EMC to Pivotal when it was a start up. I worked remote so don't have a good feeling for the work environment in California. The office in California was fabulous.

Pros

Free beer, soft drinks and snacks

Good place to learn and grow

Pivotal has talented developers and you can learn a lot working there.

Pros

Learning opportunities, lots of projects to work on

Cons

Pair programming

Different Culture from Most

Pivotal is different from most tech companies that you will find in the area. They have a strong emphasis on empathy and it really shows in their culture. You will work with really creative and caring people. Everyone is super smart and happy to answer questions and help out!

Productive and a fun place to work

A typical day at work could be long due to I was on EST while the corporate is on PST. So, that would mean your day started to get busy around 12 noon. Days could be long because of this especially if you need to schedule meetings etc. Workplace culture is open to promote teamwork and there was always free snacks and drinks. Also, there was a ping pong table and couches so you could work in a comfortable environment. Overall management team was good but like all companies it has it share of bad ones too.

Pros

Free lunch, snacks, and Ping pong tables

Cons

Great place to work, amazing people and great culture

Great place to work, amazing people and great culture. It's a hard job to sell the product well - a big learning curve. It is heavily target focused, and you need to have a strong personality and a great deal of empathy for others.

Pros

Free breakfast, great working environment

Cons

Pressure selling

All nice people

I was an intern, I learned a lot and made many connections. My coworkers and colleagues all helped me learn so much and I came out of my internship fluent in Java and Python.

Good company

Good company, but may have future growth problems due to industry pressures. Some people need to work harder and put a customer first attitude instead of I will get to the customer when I have time. This is not the typical rule in the company but is very noticable.

Fun Place

Great place to work. I learned a lot about the agile and lean software development process. I had a lot of fun with all the socials and company bonding events.

Great company for Devops

A very good company to work in cloud foundry and other data fields. Also a good startup with strong ipo and over all learning growth. Big fans of spring.

Good in the Beginning

...then fell off. Good people left, and unqualified people came in. Three main areas exist: Labs, Cloud Foundry, and Data. Go with Labs! This is where you want to be.

Great company, people and culture

Great company, people and culture. I don't believe that there is a better way to deliver software, so it feels great to work here. More important, the philosophy of continuous improvement means that if a better idea comes along - we'll just do that!

Pros

They hire for empathy and the people are awesome; always interested to get better

Cons

our office will not likely remain, so I'd have to relocate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pivotal Labs Inc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Pivotal Labs Inc