Singapore American School

Singapore American School Employee Reviews

Singapore26 reviews

Friendly and fun workplace

* People there are friendly and supportive, including the administrative.*Workload is usually manageable, working hour is nice for me, we usually are done by 3.20 pm. *Fun environment overall.*Plenty of opportunities for professional development.

Pros

Work hour, great work culture, wonderful colleagues, frequent treats for employees

Cons

Caring peers depending on the department . Poor management and leadership

Leadership team is always indecisive related to every matter. There is definitely student care at the heart of the school but not faculty care.It’s a big organization so you constantly have this feeling of being lost with little to no guidance.Until and unless you don’t mess up you don’t get to know what’s the right procedure.No accountability, every faculty works the way they want to. No check and balance on staff members.Although it’s an international school but managed worse than a public school.

Pros

A lunch once a semester. Free school supplies

Cons

No dental care, poor healthcare system, feeling of being lost.

Productive and fun

It is a good place, you can get familiar with IB PYP and MYP curriculum, you can help the non-chinese students to learn Mandarin and CHinese culture. You can feel dutiful.

Pros

Short hours

Cons

too many female teachers

Highly Competitive and fast paced but very well paid and great resources

If you know your stuff as a teacher and are ok to work in a pressure-cooker environment, than you will be paid very well to do so. Benefits include retirement plan, free housing, annual flights home and medical insurance

Pros

great benefits (as listed above) and great teachers

Cons

high paced, some bosses can be bullies and create culture of fear

Productive and fun workplace

Good work-life balance, nice office environment and culture, great team work, nice and encouraging colleagues who are willing to help, teach and motivate one another.

challenging but enjoyable work

Jumping from corporate to education was like a fresh of breath air. Less to no stress and it's enjoyable to work with young people. The most challenging part probably was the first few months were the job was all self-learnt for me. From knowing what a 3rd printer and laser cutter to checking how it works and how to fix. I just have a very supportive manager and the culture at work was really good and that keeps me going. Most of all i enjoyed learning new things.

Fast Paced and Intense, but great education, resources and package

SAS is a highly competitive environment. I feel it is a great school for children; well-resourced and highly qualified teachers. It is a very large school with 4,000 students. I taught art to grades K-5. My own children attend there and I feel they are receiving a top-notch education. The teachers package was competitive and enough to live on in Singapore with Salary, Kids Tuitions paid for, Housing and annual flights home for family.

Good n Fair Bosses

My Supv (Teachers) were fair n reasonable. They were quick in highlighting your contributions n reasonable when dealing with your mistakes. They respect their subordinates. However, the school do not invest in upgrading their Teaching Assts. No relevant upgrading crse for these grp even though you have been there for years.

Great place to work -

I love working at Singapore American School but my husband had to relocated. Was very sad to leave. Would recommend to anyone living in Singapore to look at career opportunity at the school.

Productive and collaborative

It is a very nice place to be and the teachers are very nice and helpful. The students are well-behaved and we are paid well. The school is one of the best I have ever worked in.

Great camraderie and access to wonderful facilities.

When I was there, SAS was a highly desired place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed working with others teachers who are inspired to do the best for their students. The salaries and benefits were top notch. And the facilities were outstanding. The school culture was upbeat and friendly. And the students, for the most part, were eager to learn and disciplined. I hated to leave, and I still have teaching buddies and former students with whom I communicate. My time at SAS was a life-changing experience I will treasure forever.

committed and experienced teachers

SAS is always striving to improve. They value their teachers and maintain a close and collaborative community. Teachers are conscientious and leave detailed curriculum and lesson plans Salary is highly competitive

Pros

salary, comfortable and professional workplace

Cons

often work on little to no/same day notice

Fun and enjoyable environment

It was a rough start learning the many platform and software to get simple things done. Much better after I managed to grapple with the systems. It's an interesting journey meeting the young and younger in the school with many different ethnicities and background. Love the place and always looking forward to come back to serve the students, parents and staff.

Pros

fixed timing, no need to bring work home

Cons

only 10 days annual leaves

great learning environment

The education system is very innovative and creates a great environment an facilitates the interaction with the students. The facilities are very good.

Very positive and motivating place to work

The workplace culture was invigorating at Singapore American School. There was a diverse culture of people who were genuinely interested in making it a better place for ALL students to learn. The curriculum was challenging, but yet teachers found a way to make learning fun and interesting and relative to the children.

Pros

Awesome diverse cafeteria in a stress free environment. Honored all cultural holidays

Great school to work at!

Loved the school in every way. Well resourced, polite,thoughtful,inquisitive students, supportive colleagues. Would highly recommend the school as a place to work and to send students. I've worked in over six schools as a teacher both in the United States and internationally; this is by far the best school I've seen.

Positive experience

I was exposed and learned more in Singapore than most of my experiences. Through collaboration and support we were successful in creating a new early childhood program

Fun workplace

It is a fun workplace because I got to work with foreign students that open my eyes further about the world. As a Receptionist in Singapore American School (Middle School), I am at the forefront of the school office, assisting faculty and the students in their daily schedule. Duties include: - In – charge of publishing weekly bulletins - Monitor faculty attendance - Assisting students in after school activities - Assisting deputy principals - Assisting teachers - Liaising with respective grades instructional aides in regards to students

Great place

everyone is easy to get along with and very accommodating with regards to family issues that arise. even though it was a volunteer position, they did their best to make it a fun place to work.

nice environment

Colorful and Multi-cultural. People there are welcoming and fun loving. Work life balance especially with long summer break. Good benefits which includes medical for family.

Pros

work life balance

established and well known institute

I found out that policies and procedures were in place and were strictly adhered to. This made daily work quite easy and efficient. Co workers were helpful too but since most of them had been there for a long time, they could be inflexible about changes. Hardest part of the job was to get somethig approved through HR. Even if your supervisor approves of something, you would still have to go through 3-4 stages for approval. Most enjoyable part was, when admin staff was appreciated and was invited to parties, Christmas events, given gifts and recognized. This attitude wasn't just meant for teachers.

Pros

good system with proper policies in place

Cons

inflexible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Singapore American School. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.6