Singapore General Hospital

Singapore General Hospital Employee Reviews

Singapore98 reviews
The most enjoyable part of the job is team work. To survive a busy shift in ICU requires a good team work spirit. During a busy admission in ICU is so important to have lots of help from everyone.
Healthcare is a rising sun industry. You will pick up many health tips from Medical Professionals, Service Providers and even patients during your course of work. Never a dull moment working in Hospital and clinic setting.
Pros
Good staff welfare, many opportunities to upgrade and stay relevant.
Cons
Work in germs and disease environment, but exercising Infection Control will keep them at bay. At times, will encounter demanding and difficult customers.
A fast pace workplace and you need to know how to manage your time promptly. It is a fun place to work as you will learn new things every now and then.
Cons
Different division pay different starting pay for same entry level.
The team of workers are passionate and co operative.

Every second at work is really work alone.
lots of human factor nowadays, unlike in the past.
Job security is ensure but exposure to new ideas are limited. The progression to the next level is limited to quota, even if you do perform well. External training are limited.
I have working experience for 4 years in medical ward. I'm willing to any kind of discipline. During working period I'm went for course and training. I'm guide students.
Probably the largest among the hospitals in Singapore, SGH caters to almost all medical cases known to human. The opportunity of learning is vast unfortunately some are limited to only certain groups of employees. Nurse to patient ratio probably is the most vulnerable part of the institution due to the huge number of patients needing medical care. Overall, SGH is a very good place for enriching your profession's skill.
Management very bias, promotion is not based on merit. People tend to push responsibilities away and nothing is done. Bureaucratic hierarchy, no autonomy is given.
Take over reports, attending doctors rounds and carry out orders. Serving medications and supervise junior nurses, assisting procedures. Discharges and writing reports.
Worked with colleagues with different nationalities is really enjoyable. Hardest part in workplace that explaining the prognosis of DIL patients condition to their relatives.
As i worked in SGH in Transplant Ctr for 5 years, I im also crossed trained in different discipline such as
- Pre & PostTransplant

-Vascular Surgery

-Diabetes & Endocrinology

-Dermatology

-Hematology

-Osteoporosis Clinic

-Gastro clinic

-Liver transplant Clinic
Due to manpower shortage, nurses are often overworked, which would lead to burn out and increasing medical leave, which creates the continual vicious cycle of manpower shortage.
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours with no overtime pay
I don’t like the fact that the management promotes staff based on their liking. They are very personal to people and will only promote the person if the person is a yes man. The salary is not equivalent to workload. So many patients yet less pay. I find it ridiculous that you can only wear pure black shoes. I don’t think nursing care will be affected if your wear coloured shifts. Patients and relatives tend to be very rude too. And the management will always side the patient and relatives. They will always blame the staffs and put them at fault. The old people still rule the whole place. Overall, bad place to work. Unhappy environment. Bad culture.
Pros
bonus twice a year
Cons
Blaming culture.
Basically Hospital you have to put in your 200% of effort and must be on the go. Assisting Doctors and booking of appointment for the patients. Closing of accounts and tallying the balance. Counter checking the patients report and forms to be submitted to the department.
Pros
medical
Cons
1. Ensure accuracy of receiving and updating medical records.
2. Rectify any error and confirm on the returned casenotes tally with the inpatient discharge list.

3. Inpatient cases should be accurate complete with full HIDS and arranged neatly and bundled up properly before despatch to updating.

4. Discharge list should not be recycled for future cases.
It is a fast-paced environment with high pressure and it is highly recommended for those who seek challenges. You need to always be on your toes and to anticipate what the clinicians need.
Pros
Good colleagues, good remuneration.
Cons
Too demanding
Build good relationships and productive environment. Able to expose talent and ideas for better operation workflow. Welcome suggestions for better company rapport.
The work environment really pushes one to excel. It is also a very educational environment which, one could learn a lot in a short period. Was glad to have been there.
Working together and respect each other is very important . Be understanding to staffs need is aslo important. Give and take as well as good health is also play and important part in our job
Pros
Understanding colleagues
Cons
Short of manpower
*SGH ED sees an average of 300 to 500 patients a day, its always busy but teamwork has always been the key to treat patient promptly which is our utmost priority
*I have learned Emergency Nursing skills including management of patients in Emergency Cardiac Care Unit

*Management is doing their best to treat all the employee fairly and give importance on employee's professional growth

*Dealing with multiple nursing task lists

*Witnessing how my patients improve with the prompt intervention rendered in ED
I was able to upgrade myself in SGH as i learned more about the area i’m specialised in, which is Plastic Surgery & Eye. However, when i wanted to upgrade myself further by studying Degree, i was not able to balance my shift work life with my student life as there were days i end work much later than expected.
Pros
Shift work hours
Cons
Tends to work overtime almost everyday.